Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Beware if you own or lease land in the southern part of Noble County that there is an active "tree gypsy" at work sneaking onto private land stealing mature white Oak trees with his "skidder". Our land was hit for at least 1/2 dozen fine mature masting white oaks this Spring. Local officals seem not the least bit interested in putting a stop to this. The area is between Lower Salem and Harrietsville. Our well posted gate was removed..and approach road ruined so badly that it is difficult to gain access to our land. In addition to the tresspassing, and theft & the perp spent some time there and littered the property with dozens of Busch beer cans, and other trash.

We know his identity.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.

Did you call the Noble County Sheriff?

I would think they would jump all over this.
Yea I did--I E Mailed a report to his website, and attached a series of pictures. No reply.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
hard to believe the coppers are not interested...somebuddy that brave is prolly dangerous...nothing is safe anymore...coppers need to get off their butt and go out and do their job...hopefully this isnt the case and the pukes are caught...and then hung from a big oak tree...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
By the looks of Ur pic he left a couple hundred $$$ worth of tree there too... I take it u don't live near the property?? If not I'd find a crazy neighbor to watch it for u some one that's shoots first and asks questions later

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
134 Posts
At value of tree the $ of the theft makes the relative charge ie x$$ is a. Inger crime. If lo al doesn't care call state police

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
502 Posts
Maybe you should tell the noble county Sherriff you'll be donating to his opponent next election....:irked:

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Now that is bad. But if they made such a mess hauling the tree out, shouldn't tracking them be no big problem?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that is bad. But if they made such a mess hauling the tree out, shouldn't tracking them be no big problem?
That's part of how we know who did this. Thanks everyone for getting back with me. It's sad that we work so hard to keep our land kept up, and thought tresspassers were the biggest thing we had to deal with. The perp is being required by the township trustees to fix the road and remburse the land owner for the fair market value of the trees he stole. We think he should be in much more serious trouble..

·
Registered
283 Posts
. The perp is being required by the township trustees to fix the road and remburse the land owner for the fair market value of the trees he stole. We think he should be in much more serious trouble..
I have no idea why the township trustees have any jurisdiction with regards to the timber trespass. Generally the damages awarded for a timber trespass is treble (triple) the value of the stumpage if an honest mistake. In the case of wanton trespass a judge or magistrate will impose a higher amount.

In reading between the lines, it appears to me that you lease this property for recreation. If this is the case, is the landowner reluctant to press the issue for some reason?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts