Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if **** trapping (not **** hunting) is still pretty big in the SE part of the state? Anyne on here still do it?

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for a responsible trapper to come in and trap as many ***** (other egg eaters) as he/she can from my property during the month of January while season is still in. I don't want **** hunting with dogs on my place only trapping. Just someone to come in and set traps/check traps during day light hours.....no night checking traps.

Trapper must remove animals from traps and dispose of them else where. If you want to take them and sell the hides fine........I'm just looking to remove as many as I can to help my turkey population. While running trail cams I have noticed a huge increase in raccoon sightings.

Only the month of January because I am usually done deer hunting by then. If I decide to muzzy hunt I would want you to stay out that weekend as well. The property has not been trapped since we have owned the place which is early 80's. If you are located in the Vinton/Ross area and enjoy trapping shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I am looking for a responsible trapper to come in and trap as many ***** (other egg eaters) as he/she can from my property during the month of January while season is still in. I don't want **** hunting with dogs on my place only trapping. Just someone to come in and set traps/check traps during day light hours.....no night checking traps.

Trapper must remove animals from traps and dispose of them else where. If you want to take them and sell the hides fine........I'm just looking to remove as many as I can to help my turkey population. While running trail cams I have noticed a huge increase in raccoon sightings.

Only the month of January because I am usually done deer hunting by then. If I decide to muzzy hunt I would want you to stay out that weekend as well. The property has not been trapped since we have owned the place which is early 80's. If you are located in the Vinton/Ross area and enjoy trapping shoot me a PM.
Its really easy. Just get a box trap and smear peanut butter on the tray. Then put some marshmallows in the peanut butter.and set the box by any.food source or I usually set them by a spring

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

you've got 2 hard to meet or make worth while requirements which you may not realize. I'm sure your place is heavy with '**** but January trapping in most years,(not the last season as it was crazy warm), is alot slower,(maybe 10% of Nov, Dec), than November or early December. Most '**** are laid up until a warm night and even then mostly boars run for mating season. The muzzy weekend would require the trapper to spring or pull his traps. If January is a must why not have a trapper set the traps and you check them and call if a catch(s) are made? That makes slow January worth the gas to go to your place to pick up animals and reset not just to possibly look at empty traps because it's too cold. Canine trapping picks up in January but not '****.:biggrin:

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you've got 2 hard to meet or make worth while requirements which you may not realize. I'm sure your place is heavy with '**** but January trapping in most years,(not the last season as it was crazy warm), is alot slower,(maybe 10% of Nov, Dec), than November or early December. Most '**** are laid up until a warm night and even then mostly boars run for mating season. The muzzy weekend would require the trapper to spring or pull his traps. If January is a must why not have a trapper set the traps and you check them and call if a catch(s) are made? That makes slow January worth the gas to go to your place to pick up animals and reset not just to possibly look at empty traps because it's too cold. Canine trapping picks up in January but not '****.:biggrin:
Like I said, I am looking for someone local that would not have to drive too far. Maybe Jan is slow, but I have plenty of **** pics on my trail cams in Jan. I understand I am not going to catch every single ****, but I would like to catch 10-12. I don't even know what I am doing and I have caught a few using the live traps in winter.

Having someone set them and me check them could be a possibility...

Maybe it is far fetched.......I'm not a trapper so I don't know....however, I'm willing to allow a trapper to come on to the property and trap. If no one on here is local then I will talk around the next time I am down. What I don't want is unnecessary human activity in October and Novemeber when I am trying to deer hunt/fall turkey hunt.

·
Registered
631 Posts
i think you would be MUCH better off if your offer was for a one week window sometime in the month of nov. more then likely the month of jan **** activity will be rutting boars movements. the females may not be moving at all depending on the temps. if you really want the population lowered those females need to be removed. its not going to happen if trapping in jan. a good **** trapper will put a large dent in the population in a week.

you did not say (if ya did i missed it) how big the property is. if its only a 100 acres or less then it won't take but a few days. if its more then maybe you can work out a deal with a trapper to only work one part of the property the first 4-5 days then the other half the next few days. make sure the trapper only checks during a certain time might also help you out.

good luck.....

·
Banned
955 Posts
The total property is 110 acres, however, I would want to keep the trapping to 50 acres due to a sanctuary I have in place for deer.

November is a bad time for me because I am down there a lot deer hunting with bow and gun. November is out. It's a bummer the season doesn't open until Nov 10 and closes Jan 31. You would think the odnr would have it open year round for these things.

I would possibly allow something in mid-late December between the extended gun weekends and the ML season.

I supplemental feed the deer herd from late October (after I shoot my fall turkey) through early March. No doubt you could set up traps around my feeding stations and hammer the *****. I am getting as many as 6-8 in one group feeding on my corn LOL. I have several feeding stations across the property plus a creek that runs the length of the property (I heard ***** like to be around water).

I will talk to some locals and see if there are any decent trappers around who would be willing to help me out.......... I thought I would ask on here first.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'll come up and trap them for ya, but to make it worth my wild,I'll have to charge you $5 per trap set and $10 per catch made. Gas is way to much to take a chance like this.Like everybody else said, next Jan might be colder than a well diggers a$$ and might go a week without catching any.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll come up and trap them for ya, but to make it worth my wild,I'll have to charge you $5 per trap set and $10 per catch made. Gas is way to much to take a chance like this.Like everybody else said, next Jan might be colder than a well diggers a$$ and might go a week without catching any.
No thanks. I'll find someone local. Trapping sure isn't like hunting. If I have to pay someone I'll just trap them myself.

That's like going to a farmer and saying you have to pay me to deer hunt:coco: Just doesn't happen. Maybe that's how trapping works, if so, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
631 Posts
ya might want to reread my first response. you are NOT going to catch the **** that late in the year. once its stays below freezing they hole-up.they may not move till feb. even if they do get out it might be a very short trip. i am afraid you are wasting your time unless you figure out how to arrange a few days to alleviate your problems. if ya can't then they must not be as bad a problem as ya think. the easiest and quickest way to remove them are hitting the food sources. corn fields bordering a woodlot and the feeders are going to be the target places. a trapper could be in and out of your farm in less then a half hour each day.

once again, good luck.....

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I hope you're successful in lowering your **** population. I know you said you saw alot of the in January but I'm assuming that was last year which was an exception to the norm in how warm it was. Could be next season will be warm too but historically it won't be and by mid-December the majority of the **** are hole up and the boars,(males), move a little in January as that's the beginning of the mating period and cold doesn't matter to them as much. Trappers, in the majority, are like hunters and are thankful for the priviledge of being on your property. What I was hoping you'd realize,(and it doesn't effect me as your too far for me to consider doing it), is that you've limited the possibility of success with the can't do list limitations on access and left the person with the worst period that could be offered. So, unless they live next to you or you check the sets it just isn't worth it. Good luck!!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts