Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so 2 weeks ago I bought my first trail camera, and I just pulled it. I enjoyed seeing the over 400 pics of deer. But Im just wondering how do I use this tool to become a better hunter? Do I use it to find bucks that I haven't seen yet? Do I use it to try and pattern the deer better? Im just wondering how I can get the most out of this to become better at hunting? My hunting time is limited between family, work and the fact i have to drive about a hour to get to where I hunt, so when I do hunt I really need to make it productive. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Trail cameras are great. I set out several at my deer camp year round. But, they won't make you a better hunter. ;)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Trail cameras are great. I set out several at my deer camp year round. But, they won't make you a better hunter. ;)
not true, you need to understand wind, stand placement all of that yes I agree, but trail cams can help you pattern bucks, and deer in general. Put them over active scraps during the rut, and you start to see a big buck pissin in it every day at noon, guess what I bet you, youll sit all the way till noon instead of getting out earlier.

I know what your saying tho mike, just kinda playing devils advocate

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sorry at1010 but I don't agree. Knowing when a deer may walk past my deer stand based on photo history still doesn't make me a better hunter. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use my cams during the off season to see what kind of deer we have coming and going. During the early season I will use the camera to try to pattern them and get the drop on a nice buck. During the season I do not check them too often as to not spook the deer. I had no idea how many deer are using certain trails on the property.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I use my cams during the off season to see what kind of deer we have coming and going. During the early season I will use the camera to try to pattern them and get the drop on a nice buck. During the season I do not check them too often as to not spook the deer. I had no idea how many deer are using certain trails on the property.
That's what I do, Added I do look at them duing the season. It is urban so people traval the woods more than other places (farm land or big woods)that I hunt...

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO a better hunter does not mean you kill more.it means you hunt harder,smarter,staying motivated,learning from your hunts and many more things.I beleive trail cams help with some of these things.I simply hang cams to locate a general area where buck is traveling ,the best way to kill a mature buck is to at least you know there's 1 in the area .for me this tells me there is a buck in the area that is worth shooting to me and also keeps me motivated to hunt that buck.nothing is a sure fire way but it does increase your odds ...

·
Registered
717 Posts
I can see this both ways (regarding whether the cams make you a better hunter).

I guess the bottom line is this: If you no longer have trail cameras, do you consider yourself a better hunter than before you had the trail cameras to begin with?

Personally, I believe that the trail cameras make us more educated hunters. It's easy to argue than knowing more about the habits of deer can and should make us better hunters. On the other hand, some may become too dependent on trail cameras. I've not actually hunted with the benefit of a trail camera yet so I can't say either way.

One thing I know is how awesome it feels when you put in the effort and have a big buck come into bow range - the question is whether "knowing" that buck is likely coming into range at a given time will diminish that feeling?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I can see this both ways (regarding whether the cams make you a better hunter).

I guess the bottom line is this: If you no longer have trail cameras, do you consider yourself a better hunter than before you had the trail cameras to begin with?

Personally, I believe that the trail cameras make us more educated hunters. It's easy to argue than knowing more about the habits of deer can and should make us better hunters. On the other hand, some may become too dependent on trail cameras. I've not actually hunted with the benefit of a trail camera yet so I can't say either way.

One thing I know is how awesome it feels when you put in the effort and have a big buck come into bow range - the question is whether "knowing" that buck is likely coming into range at a given time will diminish that feeling?
something tells me that tod knows more about hunting than he's letting us know...i've seen tods effort and its rewards...i also completely agree with what you said about cams...:D

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Do they make you a better hunter? I find that thought to be a little silly....

When i picture a hunter it is not a guy with cam's an corn... It is a guy that can get droped off with a topo map some jerky a pack and a gun or bow. This guy can be succsesfull where ever he can be droped off...

Hunting the same property year in and year out Does not impress me. Nor does the guy that puts out Corn or buckjam or other stuff like that. IMO IS NOT MUCH OF A HUNTER..

The cam is a helpful device that has it's place in the hunting world.. It is nice to know what is out there...

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
All of the above. Mainly I use it for buck inventory. It shows me what kind of talent I have around and allows me to be more selective when the season rolls around.

·
5,040 Posts
Sorry at1010 but I don't agree. Knowing when a deer may walk past my deer stand based on photo history still doesn't make me a better hunter. ;)
No, just a smarter one:whistle:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep. I think a cam is used mostly for fun in the spring and summer, and then it gets useful at crunch time.

Look at it like this - you have 4 properties to hunt on your two week vacay, the last week of oct and the first week of nov. Those cams will tell you what property you need to be on. They help you assess the quality of the deer on the property, and help you use that time you have wisely. Nobody wants to burn 2 weeks of vacay with no idea whether they are on 'the deer' or not. You have the ability to know whats on each property, get an idea of travel routes, patterns and habits, and know what properyies to rule out, getting it down from four to one or two, increasing your odds.

Does it make you a better hunter? Not in the least. How does a camera improve/hurt ethics, responsibility, integrity or character?

Does it make you a successful hunter?
If used in the correct manner, yes.

BTW, I hate typing on the phone.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use my cameras more for management than for inventory. But I'm a firm believer the it also aids in the hunt by seeing what deer are in the area. Possibly the times they are visiting that area, and as stated before, for pure motivation. There's just something about seeing deer standing face to face with your camera. Also I saw a guy that had the picture from the trail cam 3 days before he killed it on the mount it was awesome seeing a live pic and the mount side by side.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts