Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a tractor. I want something small enough to run a finish mower behind, but big enough to till, plow, brush hog and push/pull a blade. I am looking at the Ford N Series along with the Masseys. I like the Minneapolis Molines the best, but its really hard to find nice, restored one. Whats your favorite and why? Drawbacks to certain ones?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
We have a 8N that was restored just 2 years ago ill have out with the ole 4row corn plow this weekend to plow my plot ill getcha a pic. But I'm with ya i like the lil masseys also a Frined has 3 one gas two diesel

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told brush hogging can be tough with the 'n' because the pto works with the transmission engaged, and can jump. How does reverse affect the operation? Is there a modification out there for it? I ran a newer Kubota for a couple years with a batwing, but didnt have that issue.

Does anyone use a brushhog with theirs?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Get you a yanmar or kubota. You'll pretty much have the same hp but in a smaller tractor.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Get you a yanmar or kubota. You'll pretty much have the same hp but in a smaller tractor.

I got a kubota that is smaller and can hall with all the big guys. Its probably one.of the most universal tractors there is. I can mow my yard, use any kind of farm equipment and get attachments like a diggin arm, loaders and plows

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I got a kubota that is smaller and can hall with all the big guys. Its probably one.of the most universal tractors there is. I can mow my yard, use any kind of farm equipment and get attachments like a diggin arm, loaders and plows

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors
Yessir.
I've been lookin into tractors for several months. If I had the money, which I don't, I'd get a kubota for sure. The ford n series is a good tractor, but from what I know about your place JB, you're going to be happier with a smaller tractor. Also, the n series, from what I've heard is more suited for just bush hogging. A buddy of mine had a yanmar and did everything and then some that the n series does. Another buddy had a kubota, ive borrowed it to till about an acre here for corn peas and beans and fell in love. Kinda why I bought a bobcat instead. Another thing, their hp rating drops at the pto, reverse is faster than most folks care for. Reckon though an n series is better than a blank.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
We brush hog roughly 30 acres and it dose a fine job but the others r rite get u nice lil 4wd and u will be tickled. We bought a finish mower to pull be hind the Honda 500 four wheeler and we use it more than the 8N

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I have been told brush hogging can be tough with the 'n' because the pto works with the transmission engaged, and can jump. How does reverse affect the operation? Is there a modification out there for it? I ran a newer Kubota for a couple years with a batwing, but didnt have that issue.

Does anyone use a brushhog with theirs?

Ya need ta put a pto slip clutch on them old tractors to keep the momentum of a brush hog from driving the tractor - when ya clutch or slow down the tractor it lets the hog free wheel - dang :whistle::mischeif:\\

btw - the pto shafts always turns in the same direction no matter what gear the tractor is in - dang kidz

http://justtractorparts.com/images/products/detail/dcp_2570.jpg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya need ta put a pto slip clutch on them old tractors to keep the momentum of a brush hog from driving the tractor - when ya clutch or slow down the tractor it lets the hog free wheel - dang :whistle::mischeif:\\

btw - the pto shafts always turns in the same direction no matter what gear the tractor is in - dang kidz

http://justtractorparts.com/images/products/detail/dcp_2570.jpg
Slip clutch! I thought there was something out there like that....thank Geez!

I understand what you guys are saying about Kubotas. I worked as a groundskeep for about 2 and a half years at a place in Canton, and I did ALOT of work with a Kubota and a batwing mower. I really liked the tractor. But they are expensive!

·
22,521 Posts
i got a kubota that is smaller and can hall with all the big guys. Its probably one.of the most universal tractors there is. I can mow my yard, use any kind of farm equipment and get attachments like a diggin arm, loaders and plows

outdoorhub mobile, the information engine of the outdoors
x2!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 8N is a cool little versatile tractor. You shouldnt have any problem driving it and theyre not hard to find. Cant go wrong with a Massey either.

If you get one of those ugly green things we cant be friends any more :tsk:
I wont buy a Deere, the entire family and all my friends would disown me. If I had the room, I would just go buy a real tractor.......

Farmall 806!

It's not that I am inexperienced with tractors, just don't know alot about older ones without live pto's and such. I am not looking to go spend 10k on a tractor either.

But I don't need that much tractor and it would just take up space in the pole barn anyways!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I wont buy a Deere, the entire family and all my friends would disown me. If I had the room, I would just go buy a real tractor.......

Farmall 806!

It's not that I am inexperienced with tractors, just don't know alot about older ones without live pto's and such. I am not looking to go spend 10k on a tractor either.

But I don't need that much tractor and it would just take up space in the pole barn anyways!
My boss has one of the real small kabotas with loader on it its enough for anything Ur wanting to do find ya a used one

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
R local trk parts store has them pretty handy its called pattons truck service / K&K auto parts .

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I currently have a 1969 Ford 2000 ($3200) and a 2007 Kubota L3400 ($ 13,800) that I picked up used. This is my tractor Fleet.

I sold my 1947 Ford 2N for $ 2100.

If I was watching my budget I'd get another Ford 2000-3000 series. I'd try to avoid the antique N series tractors unless you're a total flat lander.

·
22,521 Posts
I currently have a 1969 Ford 2000 ($3200) and a 2007 Kubota L3400 ($ 13,800) that I picked up used. This is my tractor Fleet.

I sold my 1947 Ford 2N for $ 2100.

If I was watching my budget I'd get another Ford 2000-3000 series. I'd try to avoid the antique N series tractors unless you're a total flat lander.
Kubota doing well for you Buckmaster?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Kubota doing well for you Buckmaster?
you beat me to the punch, Buckmaster that is the exact tractor I want to buy, do you mind pming me things you like, dont like about it? I would also like to know where some good places are to look at used tractors.

·
22,521 Posts
The reason I asked was he bought one similar to the one below , and I wanted to know if he was happy with it-like we were. Just checking to see if our recomendation was worth the weight of the Kubota! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts