Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really struggling with this one. My 12 year old comes walking up from the river just now carrying his recurve and a huge smile on his face. I ask him why he is so happy and he tells me he just shot 38 carp down at the river, some as long as 3'. What did you do with them I ask. Threw them on the bank he said. I just about cried. I had to walk away I was so upset. I need some advice on how to handle this with him.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I am really struggling with this one. My 12 year old comes walking up from the river just now carrying his recurve and a huge smile on his face. I ask him why he is so happy and he tells me he just shot 38 carp down at the river, some as long as 3'. What did you do with them I ask. Threw them on the bank he said. I just about cried. I had to walk away I was so upset. I need some advice on how to handle this with him.
They're an invasive non native species. I don't have a problem with it, and i love to bowfish; the critters won't either.
I know you're probably wanting to teach a lesson, so maybe have him bury them and explain wanton waste.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
They're an invasive non native species. I don't have a problem with it, and i love to bowfish; the critters won't either.
I know you're probably wanting to teach a lesson, so maybe have him bury them and explain wanton waste.

Sidebar: invasive implies they got here accidentally, but that's hardly the case. The common carp were stocked many, many moons ago. No more invasive than a saugeye or hybrid striper. ;)

That being said, bowfishing for them is perfectly legal, but I agree that it would be good to get some use out of the fish. They make good fertilizer, I know some folks who use them for that. Bury them in your garden. In the least, I would make sure he knows that non-hunters finding a lake bank covered in rotting carp usually doesn't go over well. In the least make sure they are not in plain sight, and the rest of the wildlife will get plenty of use from them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with the two above statements. Let him know that littering the creek bank with rotting fish is not a good way to endear us (outdoorsman) in the public eye. I would explain that it's legal, but not always ok to dispose of your catch wherever you want. Don't harp on him though. He is helping to manage/protect our waterways from overpopulation of an invasive species and in the process helping native fish habitat. Don't worry about him takin to many, he won't even put a dent in the number of carp out there. Unless we're really lucky. :)

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Guess I should have asked what you were most upset about?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sidebar: invasive implies they got here accidentally, but that's hardly the case. The common carp were stocked many, many moons ago. No more invasive than a saugeye or hybrid striper. ;)

That being said, bowfishing for them is perfectly legal, but I agree that it would be good to get some use out of the fish. They make good fertilizer, I know some folks who use them for that. Bury them in your garden. In the least, I would make sure he knows that non-hunters finding a lake bank covered in rotting carp usually doesn't go over well. In the least make sure they are not in plain sight, and the rest of the wildlife will get plenty of use from them.
I don't want to get into semantics, but they shouldn't be here. Kill every single one of them and let em lay. Those in the know would be proud.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I don't want to get into semantics, but they shouldn't be here. Kill every single one of them and let em lay. Those in the know would be proud.

Ahh, and me as a fisherman who sees them as a sportfish and pursues them with respect am obviously not "in the know." I see. I know I fish 2 local lakes, both of which have them in large numbers. Neither have habitat issues, nor any lack of other sportfish. I'd love to know what major problems they are causing?

In WV, where I go to trout fish, there are brookies, rainbows, and brown trout. Brook trout are the only native species. The non-natives threaten the native brookie habitat. Should all the rainbows and browns be killed and thrown on the bank?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was probably most upset that he had no remorse at all about killing animals and getting no use out of them. Also, the fact that he littered the bank with them. The good news is when I questioned him he said he had looked them up on the internet and found they were not a native species (not sure that matters) and he also said he and his friends had already talked about putting a limit on themselves. I guess he is thinking correctly and if it were me when I was a kid I probably would have shot 100. Anyway, he tells me they are going to start only shooting 4-5 a night and they will drag them into the woods. That's a little better I guess.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I was probably most upset that he had no remorse at all about killing animals and getting no use out of them. Also, the fact that he littered the bank with them. The good news is when I questioned him he said he had looked them up on the internet and found they were not a native species (not sure that matters) and he also said he and his friends had already talked about putting a limit on themselves. I guess he is thinking correctly and if it were me when I was a kid I probably would have shot 100. Anyway, he tells me they are going to start only shooting 4-5 a night and they will drag them into the woods. That's a little better I guess.
He probably did, just not with his friends around.

I'll get back to respond to you (Cream) when I have a little more time, but the in the know wasn't directed towards you and yes, I'd kill every brown and rainbow. Explanations to follow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What river is he fishing? Getting ready to plant a garden and need some good fertilizer. PM me if you don't want to share in the post.

Thank you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Portage River. With the recent rains it has turned the water muddy and it has went up so the bowfishing is not so good right now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nothing goes to waste in the wild every bit of those carp will be eaten. I would rather have a kid shooting carp than getting into something he shouldnt be doing.When your child is hunting you wont be hunting your child. And most kids who enjoy the outdoors dont get into trouble.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
We shoot at least a barrel full 3, sometimes 4 nights a week. Then I have a spot in the woods where I dump them. The East Harbor State Park officials dig us a hole with a tractor every year at the Erie shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
The Cream go to google and look up how damaging the carp are on lakes and rivers and it will surprise you the amount of info is endless. I bowfish them on a regular basis and kill hundreds. They need to be removed from all waters. I know you like fishing for them and have at it. But we could fill several dumpsters a day and not even make a dent in the population. But no need in beating a dead horse, go look it up.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I love fishing for carp, they put up a great fight in the river. BUT, there is nothing I love more than bowfishing.

" When the carp won't bite, force-feed em "

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
we've had this discussion before even with some eyesore pics of piles of carp along the banks...as a fisherman this is the most distgusting thing to see and smell while going to a place to spend some quality time fishing,it surely puts a ding into quality...boaters might not understand though...unless hundreds of dead fish are floating all around them...its a black eye on all sportsman especially bow fishermen...hopefully its a very few of us that thinks its ok to wack and stack and leave it on the bank for all others to endure and witness...it speaks volumes for/of hunters and fishermen...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Im sure if you were to visit the forum we bowfisherman use, you would understand that we seriously make an effort to police our own when it comes to fish dumping. It is nasty, and none of us want that image tied to our sport. But....you have a-holes in all walks of life, and you cant get'm everytime.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Im sure if you were to visit the forum we bowfisherman use, you would understand that we seriously make an effort to police our own when it comes to fish dumping. It is nasty, and none of us want that image tied to our sport. But....you have a-holes in all walks of life, and you cant get'm everytime.

if you police your own there would be fines levied...hopefully this is the case when the p0lice or gw catches one doing this...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I believe if The Fuzz catches you dumping fish in an area you arent supposed to, like back into the water or at the ramp, they can cite you for littering. My fish hole is deep in the woods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts