Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People always ask me how do u kill your birds every year, here are a few things I hav learned over the years.
Also anyone else can join in with advise as we can all learn something,
1 learn how to use more than one call ( you don't have to be a expert but it needs to sound close and not all turkeys sound the same)
2 don't call to much it can be over done, if he is coming your way don't call he will see you.
3 figure out where they like to strut,around 10;00 that's a good place to be.
4 instead of a call rustle some leaves it can work.
5 you don't need every thing that is sold out there pack light. Most turkeys I have killed I don't even use a decoy.
6 get in position before calling, I called in a gobbler one morn and he was on top of a hi wall just off a field edge he would not come to my level, never call with a fence, ditch or a creek between u.
7 if you bump him it's over go after another bird that morn.
8 take your binocs along there worth the extra weight.
9 glass fields before stepping into them sometimes all u see is the tip of the fan, if he is going away from you sneek in front of him before calling its hard to call a turkey back to where he has come from.
10 Good luck and make sure of what your shooting at,be respectful of other hunters,
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most mornings I will go close to a roost ( they will roost close to the same place from yr to yr) and listen if I hear them I will move as close as I can watch for the hens, I then will let them start to gobble and not call till just before they fly down.
If I dont get it done there after they leave I will go after them or to the field where there headed to, (not all turkeys gobble every morn on the roost ) I try to get between where they want to go. The rest of the morn is spent at strutting zones or checking fields or going after that bird that won't shut up on the ground.
Some mornings are better spent looking for shrooms ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
483 Posts
The best advice for a newbie is SETUP! Proper setup will kill far more birds than most fancy calling. Sure you still have to call some, but a proper setup will put the bird in gunrange at the point it can see your postion.

This has several advantages, as the bird must commit to see the hen, and he's in range too. You will have less birds that hang up 80 yards away because they can see your postion, and notice no hen, or worse see your movement.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Be patient. If you are in an area that you know the birds like to naturally come to, trust your setup. Many times as a rookie, I gave up on a setup too early and moved only to have a bird gobbling at the setup I left. Or I bumped birds that were coming in quiet when I moved to another setup. Callimg is definately overrated. If you have scouted and can put yourself in a good setup with birds roosted nearby or in an area they frequent, a few clucks or some sweet yelps should be all you need.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've always said, the biggest tip to being a successful turkey hunter is.... You are definitely at an advantage by far if you know the terrain and your surroundings. I've been on birds that were coming like crazy just to have them hang up just out of range. After they leave, then I would go investigate just to find and fence, creek, or brush barrier between them and myself. It doesn't,t matter how good a caller you are, it,s not impossible but I,d put my money on them stopping at the barrier. Calling awesome is good, but not nearly as important as most portray. I've heard hens make some the worst sounding yelps and clucks ever.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks guys! I have been hunting this birds for the past few years in NW Ohio. This is the first year we went out and scouted. For the first time we found where they were scratching and we actually found a spot where we saw a couple hens and watched 3 nice gobblers strutting around. It was very cool and I am very excited for the opener.

·
Registered
105 Posts
#1 dont over call
#2 be patient
#3 know your guns effective range !!!!
#4 whatever direction you think he is going to come in on expect him to come the other
#5 know the terrain get on the same level as him,dont expect him to come up or down to you. Remember calling him to you is the reverse of mother nature.
#6 Once you locate him get setup before you start calling
#7 If he is gobbling like crazy and shuts up be patient chances are he is coming and is probably closer than you think.
#8 always keep your gun up and ready you most likely will not be able to bring it up when you see him its too late
#9 Good Luck !!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts