Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
heh heh heh...i'm a polytician...:D

a couple years ago i decided to try 3 fingies under and its been fantastic...

tonight i decided that the corner of the mouth just isnt enough to get to full draw...and it stretches...now i know some use a tooth so with a lil experimenting ,and i mean a very lil...i decided to go way back to my back molar by feeling it thru my face...not by stretching the corner of mouth back to it...the end of my finger actually touches the upper tooth and the lower molar...this is a very solid anchor...it dont move and is super easy to find...if you go back any farther youre out of teeth...:Dtheres like a socket there that my finger fits in perfectly...maybe i'm missin a couple toothers there or sumptin...:Dbut the good thang is it gets me to full draw every time...something i've had a problem with...i decided i have to do this especially with such a light bow...i need every pound of that bow...the good thang is it changed nothing as far as arrow hitting the target...they all hit right in around the lil pc. of orange tape i try to hit...i do shoot at most 10 yds. so as not to send any over the fence during experimentation...the great thang bout this is it gets me to full draw and does not mean any adjustments to get the arrah on target...some might wanna give the anchor a try...it even feels better and just seems the hand and thumb fit better into the face...i'll be giving this a chance ...but i think it will be the way it will be... :biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang I just cant wait to get out in the woods and give it a try at long distance ...like this weekend ...:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Dang George - after all these years - ya ever gon'a get it right or do i need ta send ya ta Hoot School - dang :whistle::mischeif:

btw - did ya ever shoot those self nockers i sent ya :confused:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always used the same method for as long as I can remember ...it worked good for a lot of years ...doesn't anymore ...the 3 fingies under change really helps...I believe mainly because if you sight down the shaft. It forces concentration on a certain spot ...I know when I'm at full draw and in the anchor...I'm on target but the anchor I've been using just doesn't work ...and the lighter poundage helps too but at 42# I have to be pulling 28"...27"puts me under 40#...:D
I need to put points on those arrahs ...I plan. On hunting with them if I'm able ...the broadhead I use will...wait...that'll be a surprise ...dang...:D

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
...the 3 fingies under change really helps...I believe mainly because if you sight down the shaft. It forces concentration on a certain spot ...
Indeed, just sight to about 6-8" below the intended target and a 10x is bound to be found.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i sight right down the shaft to what i want to hit...i'm looking at the spot...this should work out to 20-25 yds.i suspect...if i have to i can raise if needed...also the feather now touches my nose and i release...i'm going to do some video to get a good look at all this tonight i hope...:biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
done bout 4 sets of 6-8 arrahs and video'd it...very interesting and good stuff...i got to full draw but creep just before the shot...this lessened each set ...with the final set being perfect and the last an extra half inch better than perfect...giving my bow an xtra pound...the camera does not lie...i have to prevent creeping now...no creep and i'm at 28"draw...and 42#...funny thang i just noticed...this bow only sez 42#...it doesnt show at what length...:mischeif:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
done bout 4 sets of 6-8 arrahs and video'd it...very interesting and good stuff...i got to full draw but creep just before the shot...this lessened each set ...with the final set being perfect and the last an extra half inch better than perfect...giving my bow an xtra pound...the camera does not lie...i have to prevent creeping now...no creep and i'm at 28"draw...and 42#...funny thang i just noticed...this bow only sez 42#...it doesnt show at what length...:mischeif:
No Creeping on the first shot. That's about the only chance you'll get as you know.

I shot instinctive for many years with my Kodiak Magnum and got pretty good with it. Shot at the biggest deer I have ever seen with it. (missed). So when I switched over to a Browning two wheeler with three pin site, I got pretty good with it as well. Even killed some ground hogs with it. I was very confident with it and a deer would be a bunny shot compared to shooting a little ground hog, was I wrong. When a pretty nice buck walked right up to where I was standing, I blew the shot. I pulled back, found the corner of my mouth with my finger and let her go. I didn't look at the site pins at all. I had just shot that 60 pound compound bow just like I was shooting the recurve. That was one valuable lesson as I never have made that mistake again. Even 20+ years later, I still say, "look at the site", every time I draw the bow.

No Creep, No Creep;)

RGJZ06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm beginning to wonder if creep is natural and cant be stopped by most archers because of the full poundage being held...i think some shoot very fast to prevent it... i've thought of other remedies...one is go down to lighter poundage but i'm almost to minimum poundage allowed now for a hunting bow...another is to over draw to 29"and creep to 28".creep doesnt seem to effect where the arrah hits but loses about an inch of my draw length or 3-4 pounds less bow poundage...this puts my bow under minimum poundage allowed for hunting...another is to go up in poundage some...say to 45#and see if the amount of creep is the same as the 42#bow...i'mbetting it is...and i'm thinking i can go to 50#getting the same amount of creep as the 42 pounder...which makes it a 46-47 pounder...video will confirm this...i'm wondering if the best thang to do if thats the case is instead of fighting creep is to live with it and go to higher poundage bow...i believe i can beat it with the 42 pounder...but not sure with the heavier bows...i'm saying if it still exists with them and i'm still on target...so what...one thang i also notice in the video is the creep is very consistant...but with the light bow i'm using now i have really minimized it to nothing...can i do that with a heavier poundage...i dont know...but the camera will let me know...:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Your holding to long - and with your three fingies under your aiming down the arrow like shooting a gun instead of shooting instinctive which makes you hold longer to acquire the target - you mind as well put sights on your bow and a clicker and practice wif that and then do away wif the clicker during hunting season - you keep try'n too much new stuff - have a couple more molars pulled so you can find a anchor point on your jaw - too many cooks ruin the soup - dang george - you know better - better hook up wif Hoot for sum shoot'n lessons and quit fugg'n around - you been at this way tooooooooooo looooooooooooong ta be still screw'n around like a rookie - get with it - don't make me come down there - dang - u hear dat :whistle::mischeif:

or - forget all them "hanger queens" you got and get Wendy Sue ta buy you a compound or x-bow and teach
ya how ta shoot - dang

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang geeze even with instinktive shootin you have to have alignment of the arrow with your eye and arm/hand and where you want to hit...youre basically gun barreling but without knowing it or supposingly checking it...the 3 fingers under just makes the alignment better getting the nock end up closer to the eye...as for instinktive my focus can either be use the tip of the arrow like a site and make proper gap or just look at where i want the arrah to hit and not worry bout the tip...thats shooting instinktive ...the only difference the arrah has been moved upward at the nock end for better alignment...its hand eye co-ordination...you basically point the hand to where you want to hit...and the eye finishes it all up...it becomes automatic and you dont think about it...a couple yrs. ago i used the tip...but still had focus on the spot i wanted to hit...i think it forces your eye to that spot...site pins will do that too...that is if one remembers to do it when he's aiming at a real deer...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
dang geeze even with instinktive shootin you have to have alignment of the arrow with your eye and arm/hand and where you want to hit...youre basically gun barreling but without knowing it or supposingly checking it...the 3 fingers under just makes the alignment better getting the nock end up closer to the eye...as for instinktive my focus can either be use the tip of the arrow like a site and make proper gap or just look at where i want the arrah to hit and not worry bout the tip...thats shooting instinktive ...the only difference the arrah has been moved upward at the nock end for better alignment...its hand eye co-ordination...you basically point the hand to where you want to hit...and the eye finishes it all up...it becomes automatic and you dont think about it...a couple yrs. ago i used the tip...but still had focus on the spot i wanted to hit...i think it forces your eye to that spot...site pins will do that too...that is if one remembers to do it when he's aiming at a real deer...:biggrin:
Thanks man, I knew you would understand.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
YUR THUNK'N TO MUCH :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aint nothin wrong with change...specially if it improves your shootin.
it was a very easy change and doesnt effect where the arow hits...but does effect how hard it hits...i actually went back to the corner of mouth because i was curious...again no change but i noticed less zip...i'm stickin with more whammy...:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts