Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the lab out for her 3rd birthday present to get some feathers in her mouth yesterday at pheasant preserve in Delaware and picked off a few tics on the dog and myself. With the mild winter, I fear a bad tic and flea year is coming. Does anyone use a natural repellant with decent results on your dog? Lots of things on the internet but would appreciate a first hand testimonial from someone here. I use frontline but would prefer not using the commercial stuff if it can be avoided. They seem to have some potential harmful ingredients.
Thanks

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I must admit Ive thought about spraying them with mosquito repellant ...but I thought I heard somewhere it clogs their pores and they can over heat ...that front line stuff costs a fortune.
I:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the Burt's Bees repellent says it's safe for animals, but I'd research the ingredients. It does a decent job and actually smells good. I saw a tick this weekend too. I don't think they ever went away in the southern part of the state.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My dog hates frontline. It almost seams like it burns her skin. So I don't use it on her. I found some spray for dogs that keeps fleas and tics off her.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Can't remember what it's called but found it at pet land

·
Registered
198 Posts
I work in the pet industry and have found that Advantix is one of the more effective products out there and have not heard of dogs having reactions to them but I'm sure that some have. Advantix is a poison as well as a repellant working on fleas, tick, biting flys, and mosquitos. You could also get a pill from your vet called Revolution with is for Fleas and Ticks as well as heartworms.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
We've had our dog on Frontline for about 6 years now. The vet recommended it. No complaints but I'm sure, like people, dogs react differently to different things.

·
22,806 Posts
We've had our dog on Frontline for about 6 years now. The vet recommended it. No complaints but I'm sure, like people, dogs react differently to different things.
Our Vet also recomended frontline and our Golden used it for most, if not all of her 14 years. Never had a problem with fleas or ticks and it never affected her.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Took the lab out for her 3rd birthday present to get some feathers in her mouth yesterday at pheasant preserve in Delaware and picked off a few tics on the dog and myself. With the mild winter, I fear a bad tic and flea year is coming. Does anyone use a natural repellant with decent results on your dog? Lots of things on the internet but would appreciate a first hand testimonial from someone here. I use frontline but would prefer not using the commercial stuff if it can be avoided. They seem to have some potential harmful ingredients.
Thanks
Frontline is probly one of the best, there are several others like it, maybe try one of those. The active ingredient, Fipronil is a great product. It has been around awhile, and when used according to the label, shouldnt cause the animal harm. Check with your vet for some other suggestions.

As far as natural products, there are some, check out the Bio-Spot products. They are derived from citrus oils. They do work, but probly not as well as some of the synthetic pyrethoids. They just dont last as long, which means frequent applications which equals more$$$ in the long term.

With the very mild winter, and this crazy early spring, expect a very busy flea and tic season. Permethrin used on the outside of clothing is very effective for tics and chiggers, follow the label directions.

We have been much busier and much earlier then ever at work. Use the best product you can afford for you and your dog when outdoors, it will be well worth it later.

·
Administrator
5,414 Posts
Yeah, I think it's going to be a banner year for them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep they bad here in southernohio I've scratched off hunting anymore sheds for the year ... Went mushroom hunting yesterday morning and spent a hour getting them damn seed ticks off of me

·
Registered
776 Posts
I use Frontline as well.

Lots of beaglers use cattle tags you get at TSC. You just loop and staple them on the collar. I would try them, but my beagles are inside dogs and I don't want them rubbing it all over me and furniture.

Lots of beaglers also apply seven powder to their hounds, and swear by it. But I won't try that one. Dogs lick and scratch themselves too much, and I would be afraid of poisoning them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Seven dust works great and if you line your door ways with it. It will keep out bugs from your home

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I hate tic season! I've used Adams Flea and Tick after running the dogs with varying success. I spray them down with it as soon as I get them up on the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I use the Wal-Mart brand (can't remember the name of it) of Frontline Plus. I think it's about $7 cheaper than FL Plus. Works well on my beagles.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yea, this time of year stinks for my best friend. I keep her out of deer camp till end of Sept. It's hard enough keeping those tics off me. ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
i use bio spot on my dogs and have had no problems with it. I used to use advantix but with three dogs, its just to expensive. I have also read that deer tick #s are up considerably in ohio according to the tick counts on deer in the check in stations. So i ordered a vial of lyme disease vacanation just to be safe. Got it and gave my dogs their 1st shots yesterday. 1 more shot each 3 weeks from now. $129 for a 10 dose vial which seemed kinda much but compared to the vet it would have been that much for each dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts