Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at the 1911 22lr pistol for target shooting any thoughts? im also looking at the ruger 22/45 it has the 1911 grip for the feel of the 45 but the look of the classic ruger

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you already have a 1911 that you can buy a coversion for? Or would the 1911 be a total new gun? For nothing more than hunting paper I'd go with the ruger, if your planing on paying the price of the ruger for the 1911. Hard to out shoot the ruger in that price range.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I love the looks of the 22lr 1911 in various brands. but they are grossly overpriced compared to other 22 pistols and likely nowhere near as accurate.

If you have the hots for a 1911, get a 45 auto and it will retain its resale value.

If you want a 22, you want something inexpensive to shoot. dont spend $600 unless your after a competition 22.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I have a Ruger 22/45 with the slab-side target barrel. Excellent shooting pistol, even in my hands. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im looking at the 22lr for plinking and leave around house for extra protection also like the feel and look of the 1911 which is why i like the ruger 22/45 it has the 1911 grip and feel just in 22lr. found it locally for 279.00

·
Banned
624 Posts
Here's another vote for the Ruger. Fairly accurate out of the box and trigger work only runs about $100 if you want a smoother pull. $279 is about right with sales sometimes going down to $250.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Years ago I just had to have a Colt Ace when I shot a lot of competition. Wanted it for cheaper practice. It would only shoot pretty good using Eley 10X, not cheap.

After awhile I lost interest in my factory Ace and sold it. If I had to buy a targetish .22 it would be a good Ruger (not all are) or a CT made High Standard.

I still have my Hamden made Victor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts