Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ready to be brought into this world.

Since Sunday, I have seen the mature does by me here chasing their faws from last year away(Typically the Buck Yearling), so they can prepare for this years new additions. Tonight I watched a very pregnant mature doe chase her fawns and other does away from her bedding area across the street, and almost had a few of them hit by cars as they were chased to my side of the road. This went on for a good 20 minutes.

When I went to my back yard and looked into the wood lot behind me, I had the two yearlings(One is a Buck) that hang around here bedded in their bedding area, but the mom wasn't anywhere near them. 15 minutes later, as I was working in my yard, I heard a commotion and saw the mature doe, chasing them out of the area as well. She specifically was chasing her young buck yearling.

For the past several years, this has been the normal routine a few weeks before they give birth by me here.

Anyone else seeing any does acting in this manner?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
No I have'nt.. But I have been working a ton...

Last year 6 building south of the Kenwood exit off of the cross county highway on Kenwood road in the side yard of a hair salon there was a Doe she was on the edge of a fence ready to bust... We looked down the fence and 20 ft down was a Buck in velvet with split Brows...

I didn't know the Bucks would stick with the doe's...

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In May the pregnant doe drives away her offspring of the previous year. As her term draws near usually in late may or early June, some does seek out a particular place but most give birth wherever they happen to be. The fawn is usually born with its front feet coming first and the head between the legs. Labor is short and often takes place at dusk. Long before morning she has licked the fawn clean and more or less dry. This is done to leave the fawn scent free while she goes off and feeds. The doe will also lick under the fawn's tail to stimulate the fawn into defecating. Then the doe will eat the droppings so the area is scent free.
Fairly quiet here tonight-haven't seen a deer yet and normally they will be grazing all around me.

Typically, it gets real quiet when the fawns are born, and I don't see many Deer for awhile while the does are tending to the new fawns. Last year on June 1 for the second consecutive year a mature doe had her twin fawns in a neighbors fenced in yard (Pics below). She jumped the 4' chain link fence and had both of her fawns inside the enclosed yard. Did she do this to protect them from predators?:confused:

The next day, the neighbor opened the gate and the following morning mom had the newborns out. We didn't see them for about 10 days, but eventually they showed when they were getting around easily.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
We had one in the yard yesterday. I was at work but my wife said it looked only a couple days old. It was walking around in the back yard. She never did see the momma doe..

·
22,521 Posts
We had one in the yard yesterday. I was at work but my wife said it looked only a couple days old. It was walking around in the back yard. She never did see the momma doe..
If the gestation period is "around" 200 days-then this fawn was conceived "around' Late October +/- a day or two....if my calculations are correct.

Here's a chart to make it easy, but it varies-

http://www.deerforums.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=441

Calculator-

http://www.gestationcalculator.com/other/deer-pregnancy-calculator

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"so some have already hatched" ?????????????????????

Deer do not "hatch" from eggs! I think somebody has a still in WNF
LOL- And he's taste testing as needed!:D

Two nights in a row, completely quiet here after several days of chasing. I think I'll take a walk this weekend and see if we have some new additions.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I seen two big does cross the road in front of me by my grandmother's and both looked to have allready gave birth

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What the heck 56.. ya doan believe me? :D:D
Oh- I do. I believe there are young ones out there. I was also hopeing others would say they are seeing them. Remember the start of the pre-rut kicking into a higher gear around Halloween??? We'll the one you saw may be a Halloween bred fawn!:D

Good info medic- I also believe that fawn mortality varies by area in regards to coyote populations too. They can take out 60-80 % of the fawns in areas where there are heavy coyote populations based on studies that have been done. I had one here last year, kill a fawn in the "wide open" grassy area across the street.:irked:

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Oh- I do. I believe there are young ones out there. I was also hopeing others would say they are seeing them. Remember the start of the pre-rut kicking into a higher gear around Halloween??? We'll the one you saw may be a Halloween bred fawn!:D

Good info medic- I also believe that fawn mortality varies by area in regards to coyote populations too. They can take out 60-80 % of the fawns in areas where there are heavy coyote populations based on studies that have been done. I had one here last year, kill a fawn in the "wide open" grassy area across the street.:irked:
Yep. There was some good activity in late October. I always seem to see good pre-rut around this time each fall. I'm sure there was some early breeding going on. Like you said.. If we are seeing fawns now chances are they were from late October.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Came up on this one today while working on at an old landfill.

Also found this while driving the perimeter.

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the gestation period and charts are correct this little one(if a few days old) was conceived on halloween then Oxmos or around that date. Finding the shed was another bonus!

It is VERY quiet around me still. I haven't seen much deer movement at all, and I still haven't seen a fawn but I did run into this doe and got a few pictures of her. She never moved, and I backed out quickly.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
very cool video. I can remember when i was in pre school and we went to a metro park(sharron woods) and you could see several new borns while hiking.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts