Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This buck is going to make it hard for me to pass up! We don’t do feeders but we inherited this one and thought we’d put it out…and boy do the bucks like it!! We don’t have a stand here but this guy is a regular where I shot my buck opening weekend last year.
Plant Deer Organism Natural material Natural landscape

I’m curious to know what your thoughts are on piebalds and if you’d cull/harvest? I know Piebald genes aren’t ideal in the deer heard…but he sure is pretty. We believe him to be 4 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My thoughts are:
1. They field dress the same;
2. They drag the same;
3. They butcher the same; and,
4. They taste the same.

The only thing different will be getting new living room decor so as not to clash with the hide you know you're going to display near the couch. Well, that and convincing your guests that, no, you did not shoot the neighbor's pony. Ha!

Horse Plant Liver Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
726 Posts
Beautiful deer. I'd love to get an opportunity to take a big, mature piebald. Taxi bill on a full body mount might be painful!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Getting that time already. Wow the time passes quick - time to hunt already. Awesome picture!!! He might hang around for another year or two. I need to get new salt blocks out. Is there a shot to the feeder?

Reactions: Maggie

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting that time already. Wow the time passes quick - time to hunt already. Awesome picture!!! He might hang around for another year or two. I need to get new salt blocks out. Is there a shot to the feeder?
No shot to the feeder…it’s just close to our cabin which makes it convenient to fill. He’s loving our food plot and I’m hoping to see him there 🤞

·
Super Moderator
3,116 Posts
Any other pics? Unfortunately, it looks like a shoulder mount wouldn't show much, if any, of his color variation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This buck is going to make it hard for me to pass up! We don’t do feeders but we inherited this one and thought we’d put it out…and boy do the bucks like it!! We don’t have a stand here but this guy is a regular where I shot my buck opening weekend last year. View attachment 56472

I’m curious to know what your thoughts are on piebalds and if you’d cull/harvest? I know Piebald genes aren’t ideal in the deer heard…but he sure is pretty. We believe him to be 4 yrs old.
I would harvest him and look into a full body mount. I like Piebalds and see them as exciting over non desirable in a heard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts