Featured The second weekend of Ohio turkey season, part 1

Discussion in 'BlueDogs Blog' started by Bryan six, May 7, 2018.

1. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

[​IMG]

Opening day arrives, finally. Weeks and weeks of anticipation end as we settle into the set, well before daylight on the opener. We find ourselves at one of the border properties, where I harvested a good buck on the last day of the regular deer gun season last December. Between this property and the one next door, we have somewhere over three hundred acres to access. The man who owns the diamond in the rough, was gonna try his luck the first few days so we stayed out of there and went to the neihbors. The birds are there alot, as well, so regardless we had a great chance if the birds were ready to play.

[​IMG]

Well to make a long story short, the birds were not really workable, excluding one gobbler on opening day that came a long way, but wouldn't come the last hundred yards. Oh well that's turkey hunting. The first three days fly by. We sat up Bilmans new blind, or condo more like it, on the property in anticipation of rain on Tuesday of the first week. Good thing we did because it kept us in the woods untill noon, on the second day. It rained forever and a night. No birds, but we hunted non the less in the pouring rain. Wednesday was better, but still no luck finding a bird that would leave his hens. I wouldn't either so I can't blame them.

[​IMG]

I went out Saturday with a young marine. He had a spot in mind that we tried with not a gobble. Eventually we hit the roads and finally striked up a bird at ten a.m. Saturday morning. Unable to get across the huge creek, we eventually had to cut our losses and listen as he headed off gobbling out of our dreams. Saturday was fun, but no harvest still. Bill and I were able to hunt Sunday of the first weekend and after dropping Bilmans mom off at their friends' cabin in Smoke Rise horse camp, we headed to Bartlett to set up camp at the new property we received permission to hunt.

[​IMG]

With dark closing fast after our arrival, and 30 degree forcast, we ended up camping out in the old mid 1800's farm house. We had a wonderful time hunting there and if not for some tresspassers who got between us and the gobbling birds, we may have scored on a longbeard that morning. Oh well, that's turkey hunting. At least the Turkeys were starting to heat up it seemed and we had great conversation, with the farm owner, over coffee at 5 a.m. We are planning on heading back there this weekend to go after Missy's first bird. Bartlett, we will return.

FRIDAY

[​IMG]

Our next day in the woods was Friday morning. Bilman made it down Thursday, set up camp, and we made plans to hunt our honey for two days. On the third day, we were graciously able to take some guests hunting and planned on setting up where we called in the gobbler on the opener. Catchdog and his wife are coming down to try out turkey hunting, and thats our destination sunday!! With plans made, Bill in town and my vest packed, I went to sleep early Thursday night to get rested up for the marathon of hunting we were about to start.

Friday morning is warm and humid. The song birds are excited and already singing in the dark as we enter the forest. We take time to say a prayer, double check our gear, then head to our tree. Faint light in the sky starts to appear as we hear the first gobble on roost, then a second. As the sky lights up and the sun starts showing the green and copper colors of the avian decoys, the birds gobbling below and in front of us hit the ground. They are answering, cutting Bill off, but slowly they all head off in other directions to do their thing. Or so it seemed. Roosters crow, a pillated wood pecker bangs on an old dead tree. The sun is getting Warner as it peaks through the clouds from time to time. The beautiful forest awakes Friday morning and we had front row seats. So relaxing it is. I slide a little farther into my chair and smile. How awesome it is.

Suddenly, a thunderous roar on the ridge. The gobble was only three hundred yards ahead, we now know that at least one bird is coming back. It quiets back down and we sit tight, watching and listening. Suddenly Bill whispers, "I see him, he is heading toward the field." I am ste up to shoot on the bench ahead of us, so I slowly slip into position to shoot toard the decoys in the field. I'm ready, heart pumping, and getting anxious. The leaves on the bench in front of us are rustling for some reason. Finally I realize it's a turkey walking, not just the leaves rustling themselves. I slowly turn my head that way and suddenly a bright red and blue head appears, beard swnging.

Well hmmmmm, I'm all contourted up like a pretzel to make the uncomfortable shot into the field and he shows up below us somehow. Apparently he went up into the field, seen the Jake decoy getting ready to mount the hen, and planned his sneak attack. When I realized it was a bird coming, I did slid back into position, but I still didn't have the gun up. When he stepped behind the first tree, I had shouldered the gun. As is was getting my check down and aiming, he slides out from behind the tree, and catches movement. He putts, spins around, putts again. As he takes one last look before turning into the road runner, meep meep, the 935 says boom!!! I readjusted, aim, and can't find the bird. Bill giggles and says, "dude, you rolled him". He was right. I head out to retrieve the bird to find laying dead at 17 yards. When I took the shot he was at eleven. The longbeard XR'S, Mossberg, and Blood Brothers call, did their job. 7 A.M. My trigger pulling for spring season is over. Didn't even get a call out. How awesome!!!

We tag the bird, take him to the truck and drop my stuff!! Now the pressure is off and i get to enjoy watching others take some birds. We grab fresh water, celebrate some more, and go looking for another bird. The birds in the bottom , frm first light, fire back up. They are getting closer?? A gobbler echos behind us somewhere in the bottom, Yes they're definitely getting closer. These birds gobbled the last time at about three hundred yards off, and walked right to the tree we were sitting in. I was on the right side of the tree with Bill below me. The birds, three, came in directly behind us. When they came around my side of the tree, a red head appeared. Wish bill was here I thought, he is even left handed.... The birds eyes grew huge, like a cartoon turkey, as he looked directly into our set. He was somewhere around three yards. He can see me, the chair that i am sitting in, probably the dead turkey at our feet and definately the water bottle. Putt putt putt, I say oh sh........ Under my breath as the three gobblers run away!!! Well, only one bird down but it was a heck of a morning. We celebrate the hunt with the landowner for a while, take some pictures, and ended the first day of our weekend on a high!!!

[​IMG]

Continue reading...

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    bluedog, Duke0002, Sgt Fury and 5 others like this.
  2. Sounds like you guys had an awesome few days

Bryan six likes this.

3. I like it. Sometimes the best stories are about the ones that got away. The really really good stories are the ones that have a buddy screw up a double and shoot his avian half strut. I will share that one in the future, it falls in the category of "to soon" still.

Bryan six likes this.
  4. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Great hunt and write up B6. Congrats!

Bryan six likes this.
  5. Bryan six

Thanks I'll write part two soon!! Bills bird was the craziest hunt!

6. Congrats! Nice write up...I love that first pic!

Bryan six likes this.
  7. Nice job fellas!!

Bryan six likes this.
  8. Bryan six

That's my bird, my empty longbeard xr shell and the Blood Brothers diaphram that was too much for him to handle!!

Sgt Fury likes this.
  9. Congrats on some good hunts!

10. Great story right there Bryan! Congratulations!!! Looking forward to reading Part 2! :D :D