Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I spent all day scouting yesterday at woodbury and had good luck seeing birds, as well as finding one private place to hunt, however I have A LOT of questions after yesterday. I will bullet point them for the ease of the nice person who chooses to answer them.

-we found a roost and a good spot to set up right off the road. We asked a guy that lives real close and he said good luck because a ton of people go in there because it is so convenient. Do I even waste my time there?

-I am not used to hunting hilly areas. Will these birds walk through the little valleys in between the ridges, even if they're steep?

-We did a lot of driving, we saw a total of ZERO birds strutting. We drove around randomly between 10 and 2.

-We found a hen nesting on some eggs, does that mean there could be a population around there that we could check out?

-Since a lot of people seem to hunt there I am assuming they also TEND to hunt the more easier reachable places. If we get up early and trek way off the beaten path, could this possible yield us a little bit less pressured areas, or will this just put us out of the fight? I was planning on getting there around 5 and walking into the deep stuff and then locating once the woods woke up then trying to set up based on that.

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I used to hunt there an awful lot and yes, walking back in is almost ALWAYS better. There are others that do it also but not as many. If you've located birds via scratchings your odds are as good as anyplace unless you've spent the time to pattern them.

As far as birds in the valley's. it depends on exactly what your talking about. The birds will move through the saddles. I've seen birds in the broader valleys but not so often between tight hi-walls.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
If you have the nesting hen pin pointed, set up within 100 yards. guaranteed a gobbler knows where she is and sometime in the morning will silently approach the area and strut. you might get lucky without calling.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ok so I spent all day scouting yesterday at woodbury and had good luck seeing birds, as well as finding one private place to hunt, however I have A LOT of questions after yesterday. I will bullet point them for the ease of the nice person who chooses to answer them.

-we found a roost and a good spot to set up right off the road. We asked a guy that lives real close and he said good luck because a ton of people go in there because it is so convenient. Do I even waste my time there?

-I am not used to hunting hilly areas. Will these birds walk through the little valleys in between the ridges, even if they're steep?

-We did a lot of driving, we saw a total of ZERO birds strutting. We drove around randomly between 10 and 2.

-We found a hen nesting on some eggs, does that mean there could be a population around there that we could check out?

-Since a lot of people seem to hunt there I am assuming they also TEND to hunt the more easier reachable places. If we get up early and trek way off the beaten path, could this possible yield us a little bit less pressured areas, or will this just put us out of the fight? I was planning on getting there around 5 and walking into the deep stuff and then locating once the woods woke up then trying to set up based on that.

this area wouldn't be a pine forest next to a house with a ton of junk trucks would it? i would knock on more doors or go to the private place on opening day. my best advice would be to get up on a high point. you can get them to go up the hill but very rarely do you get them to go down the hill.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What does we found a nesting hen there might be a population we could check out mean?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does we found a nesting hen there might be a population we could check out mean?
I meant does a nesting hen mean there are some roosting around there or do nesting hens typically aim for solidarity?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so even if the hen has already layer her eggs, the gobbler will still approach her?

·
Registered
679 Posts
BSJ. I'll do the best I can with some answers-

The birds will likely roost there, pressure or not;unless it (evening pressure) prevents them from actually roosting. And just because they aren't there one morning doesn't mean they won't be there the next. In either case, be careful. I'd wear orange in and out in the event the local guy is right.

You bet they will. But, depends on their mood as to whether they'll go up and down to come find you. A bird that won't won't even give you the time of day at 8am might trip over his own beard to come find find you at 11am regardless of the terrain.

Absolutely do not let that discourage you. Drive the same area a different time, or day, and they could be all over the fields. Jokes aside, they're allusive little critters.

You found a hen and eggs. You bet there is a population. So probably no need to check it out. Doesn't tell you anything about the size of the population, but it is unlikely that you have one (hen) without the other (tom)

Very tough question to answer without knowing the true pattern of other hunters. Ultimately, with turkeys you never know. There could be 10 hunters calling to a bird and he may ignore 9 of them and run to the 10th; or he could turn his back to all of you...with or without hens. That said, if heavy pressure, I would recommend staying in the woods as long as you legally can. A lot of guys will hang it up around 10; especially if hot and/or buggy. And a lot of toms will turn it back on later in the morning when you have less competition. In either case, be safe and wear some orange.

Good luck!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts