Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been hunting turkeys for 15 years or so, self taught. (Which means I've made every mistake you can make!) My ultimate goal is to be that guy who can walk into a turkey woods that is completely new to him and have the confidence to "Call" in a turkey. That would make things so much easier!
I'm not that guy, not even close. Scouting and knowing the lay of the land kill most of my turkeys. Don't get me wrong, I love to call and get a response but knowing where that bird is (Roughly) and how to get to him without spooking him are things I find more important than great calling.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've been hunting turkeys for 15 years or so, self taught. (Which means I've made every mistake you can make!) My ultimate goal is to be that guy who can walk into a turkey woods that is completely new to him and have the confidence to "Call" in a turkey. That would make things so much easier!
I'm not that guy, not even close. Scouting and knowing the lay of the land kill most of my turkeys. Don't get me wrong, I love to call and get a response but knowing where that bird is (Roughly) and how to get to him without spooking him are things I find more important than great calling.
You learned well ! Being a good woodsman is very important, turkeys are the worst callers, they make lots of mistakes, point is you do not have to be a great caller, but I think the timing of the yelps when calling is more important then the pitch or how raspy the call may sound, that will come with your different type calls ! Listen to the turkeys they will teach you the timing of the yelps, but I suspect you have that down also, so all you need is confidence and luck as we ALL do finding the bird that is ready ! That was the BEST way to learn, I learned years ago by calling as many as I could in before season and experimenting with them, what I could and couldn't get away with, and what they liked the best as far as the way they prefer to approach a caller, and the best way you as a hunter can set up for them ! I learned in each year what would have taken a hunter only going out in season many years to learn ! And there are some things that can be done that many hunters wont agree that can be done, but that again is something that came from learning the way that you did and are ! I am sure you get talking about the things you have had happen on your hunts and have others act like : well he is just bsing me, that is because they don't know ! You learned something they haven't and I have tried to tell some the things I have learned and they basically call me a liar, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink ! Keep doing what you are doing and don't forget what your hard work has taught you, perhaps it's best to keep it to yourself ! You will have it happen one day you perhaps walk into a strange woods during season and give a call and have one gobble about 100 yards or closer to you, this is when you should have someone filming you, because you will go around in circles before you start to reason what you must do and do it FAST ! This is all part of learning, and this is what you will look back on and laugh about ! Good luck jrose "have confidence in yourself" Bad days can make the best callers second guess themselves at times, but it is just them stupid turkeys being themselves !

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The bird I shot opening morning They roosted until 9:00. I let him know that I was there but so did another hen. There were at least three or four tom's in the roost perhaps a couple of them could have been Jake's.

After the Jake flew out of his roost and landed behind me I assumed the mature Tom did also cuz he was gobbling up the ridge. That's when I started cutting and making some noise. But I only ripped it two different times about 5 minutes apart. In between I was just giving a cut or two every now and again with a little bit of whining. Everything I did was like a four out of 10 on the loud scale. The small cuts and wines were probably a three at best on the 10 scale of loudness. I was in a pretty good size valley over a thin grassy field So everything echoed pretty well.

The spaced out calling while they were in the roost combined with light calling when they hit the ground in my opinion with the key to him coming in. I am far from an expert turkey hunter and when I say far I mean far. But I have picked up a few little things here and there.

I've only shot three turkeys in my life granted they were all with a bow but I still have a lot to learn.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts