The most effective calling strategy.

Discussion in 'Ohio Turkey Hunting' started by mrex, May 7, 2018.

1. mrex

mrex Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

When I consider the single most important calling aspect that has brought them to the gun over the years, it has to be calling immediately after a gobble. The best part of turkey hunting for me is interacting with the birds. It’s reassuring to make a call and have a gobbler answer. But the reality is, most of the time, you’re simply saying “here I am” and he’s just firing back “here I am.” When you answer him or cut his call, it builds his confidence or makes him feel good about himself, so to speak. This often increases his comfort level and encourages him to seek you out.

2. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Nice I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip!

3. I have one caveat to that point but otherwise agree. Dont do it while they are still on the roost more than once or twice. I was talking with a guy at church Sunday who was having trouble hunting the group of turkeys around his house. Long story short is he was getting real close every morning but the birds wouldnt close the final 50 yards. I asked him to tell me what the birds were doing and how he was dealing with that. He started out by saying, "I have them gobbling on the roost for 20 min every morning, double and triple gobbling at every cut and yelp I make". I stopped him there and recommended that after they gobble on their own in the tree to do a soft tree yelp just a few minutes before flydown. If they gobble at the "soft" yelp then go quiet. When you hear them hit the ground you can do a flydown, if not in sight. Curious to see how my strategy works for him after 3 weeks of him making a group of Toms gobble 300 times a morning. Guess I will know Sunday

4. Good advice . I also call sparingly , if I even call at all to birds in the tree . Let em know your there . Call once or maybe twice softly at most whether they answer or not . If they answer the first soft yelps do not call again till they hit the ground .
    As for Mike's advice . I've found that spot on as well....not that my opinion matters . But if I have a bird cut me off while calling I instantly go back at him with excited yelps and cuts .
    It's easy to overcall to birds ,but making the right calls at the right times helps immensly .
    Another tip that's helped me is waiting to make my first call till I'm set up ready to kill him . If he'll gobble on his own just take your time , slip in close and be setup in a good spot to kill him before you make your first call . Sometime while prospecting ya gotta make some calls to get em located , but I hate calling much at a bird just to make him gobble .

jrose likes this.
  5. A lot of people screw up their hunt before it begins by calling on the roost. I’ve always recommended staying quiet during that time, and if you do call only do tree yelps if you know how to do them. Also just do enough for him to know where you are and go silent after that until fly down.

Sgt Fury likes this.
  6. mrex

mrex Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I rarely call to birds on the roost, allthough I’m a huge proponent of roosting birds the night before. We’ve had a bird roosted every night since the season came in and killed 15 in 14 mornings of hunting...most before 7 am...there’s a bunch of 2 year olds this year. Sneaking inside thier comfort zone in the pre-dawn darkness is lethal.

7. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I know one thing, you boys always hammer the turkeys. Bilman and I was talking about pouring the coals on a bird to keep him coming after he has committed. Your basically saying stay aggressive with him after he has committed and is closing distance correct?? It's been a long time ago since I was blessed with that beautiful spring morning, but if memories serves me correctly, you guys were being super aggressive when those birds headed our way that morning. Are you cutting, purring, yelping, as well. Its been too long. Basically are you going the whole nine yards or just answering his every gobble and even cutting him off with yelping alone?

8. This is exactly what a buddy taught me this weekend and it worked out flawlessly. He said his favorite call is just the cluck, and his best way to bring them in is to not respond the second time and wait for the bird to gobble and when he does just cut him off. He did that and man that bird fired right back up and ran in on us quick.

Bryan six likes this.
  9. I am gonna have to disagree with not calling to them on the roost (but with several exceptions).
    If you are hunting pressured birds then there's no point in getting them fired up on the roost bc they are just gonna fly down and shut up. Or if you are hunting an area you know has other hunters in the woods, then there's no point in getting birds fired up on the roost bc more times than not, your fellow hunter will try and move in on the gobbling bird and end up screwing up your hunt.
    If I am hunting I am hunting non-pressured birds then here's my strategy:
    - move to a known "safe" location that you know the birds will be in the general area of at zero dark thirty.
    - wait for the first bird to start sounding off then wait a couple more minutes before moving in to ensure there are no satellite roosted birds that will spook.
    - move in no closer than 150-200 yards from them and setup.
    - get them hammering back a few times then shut up until fly down.
    - let him gobble on the roost and get frustrated that the hen he had been talking to has stopped talking back.
    - at fly down get him fired up again soon as his feet hit the dirt, then shut up. He will come looking.
    - close him with a few soft purrs and clucks and hope hope the turkey gods are smiling upon you that morning to finish the rest of the job!
    I have been very fortunate to fill both tags just about every year for many years now, and have watched a lot of other long beards die for friends and family using this method.
    Good luck and be safe!

10. This method worked great for me this year. I only used clucks and yelps sparingly though. The only time I didn't call after his gobble was when he sounded very close, which I am guessing was only 50 or 60 yards from where I was set up. I had read when they are that close even if you can't see them, to be quiet because they already know exactly where you are.

Buck Buster likes this.
  11. Soft clucks and purrs work great when they're close.

12. I need to fish tomorrow! But guys killing birds and stories! I'm hunting in the am a few hours. Fish Friday. Those turkey bites r sounding great!!!!

bilman63 likes this.
  13. Thank you Bill. I will keep that in my memory bank!