Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got into something with some size. What do you get when you see giant carp feasting on Cheeto's tossed to them by people in an accessible spot for my kayak? The following sequence of photos:

If you try it, be properly geared up and prepared. I was using my 9' 9wt rod, with a custom leader made up of 6' of 20lb mono knotted to 30lb PowerPro braid. I had the drag cranked excessively tight and did everything I could to simply not let them dive into the heavy cover and work free. I have never put the screws to a fish like that. The first one went 26 1/4" and the second went right at 24". I had my kayak anchored on those first two so I could really leverage them out, the 3rd I hooked and lost got me in the cover and worked free because I couldn't anchor in that spot.

·
22,521 Posts
Hook any Canadians?:D

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Video documentation:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Great job, as usual! :thumbs_up:

·
22,521 Posts
Negative, surprisingly they stayed away, but in the video (yes, there's video :D), you can hear them honking.
If the Canadians "took the bait", it most likely could have been "fly" fishing at it's finest!:p:D

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the Canadians "took the bait", it most likely could have been "fly" fishing at it's finest!:p:D
It would have been one hot mess, that is what it would have been! :yikes:

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Great idea. Match the hatch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts