Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well We were given a limit of 5 hogs between 2 hunters . I got 2 and my friend got 3 . I took my 7mm08 shooting 140 grain Hornady GMX and both hogs were DRT about 40 minutes apart . I use a varmint light over my scope but it has a white light due to my vision problems . Some times the hogs spook from it like they did the first night . But the second night they didn't seem to mind the second night . They showed up at 6:30 3 nights in a row . The third evening my buddy went where I shoot my 2 and he shot 1 that night . He was shooting a .308 with Hornady 150 grain American Whitetail ammo , We both went to different stands the 4th night and he killed 2 hogs in about a hour and a half . the two I shot was about 150 and the other 90 give or take . My buddies one was about 130 one about 110 and a big sow that was 197 on the scale .
Now for the news know body wants to here . my buddy pulled the trigger 5 time and 2 out of the 5 didn't go off . Good deep dent in the primer but know boom . I have been hearing way to much of this in the last couple years .
We had a great time and came back a day early .

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well We were given a limit of 5 hogs between 2 hunters . I got 2 and my friend got 3 . I took my 7mm08 shooting 140 grain Hornady GMX and both hogs were DRT about 40 minutes apart . I use a varmint light over my scope but it has a white light due to my vision problems . Some times the hogs spook from it like they did the first night . But the second night they didn't seem to mind the second night . They showed up at 6:30 3 nights in a row . The third evening my buddy went where I shoot my 2 and he shot 1 that night . He was shooting a .308 with Hornady 150 grain American Whitetail ammo , We both went to different stands the 4th night and he killed 2 hogs in about a hour and a half . the two I shot was about 150 and the other 90 give or take . My buddies one was about 130 one about 110 and a big sow that was 197 on the scale .
Now for the news know body wants to here . my buddy pulled the trigger 5 time and 2 out of the 5 didn't go off . Good deep dent in the primer but know boom . I have been hearing way to much of this in the last couple years .
We had a great time and came back a day early .
Helping Catchdog out, here's the pics from his hunt:
Vertebrate Bird Mammal Beak Fish
Smile Jacket Beak Zookeeper Wire fencing
Vertebrate Water Shorts Recreation Smile
s hunt:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Curious why you were given a limit of 5 hogs when they are such a nuisance down there?? I'd think ranchers would want as many removed as one could shoot?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice hunt! Clearly there's a primer issue and I would reach out to Hornady. They won't likely give him anything for it but at least let them know that he's not a happy camper about it. I know Winchester had a similar issue with their Deer Season XP a few years back, particularly in 350 Legend rounds. It sucks when you buy a name you can trust and this happens. I am sure there's more of this than we realize due to mass production trying, but not succeeding, to keep up with demand.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because the ranchers that have hunting ranches make money off hunts . So they have to keep enough hogs around for the hunters but try to keep it down enough that there isn't to much damage . We didn't have a limit for 11 years but now he sells more hog hunts and cut out some of his deer hunters . He is a big deer hunter himself and it's his ranch .

·
Registered
660 Posts
Because the ranchers that have hunting ranches make money off hunts . So they have to keep enough hogs around for the hunters but try to keep it down enough that there isn't to much damage . We didn't have a limit for 11 years but now he sells more hog hunts and cut out some of his deer hunters . He is a big deer hunter himself and it's his ranch .
I see...is it a big ranch?

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1200 acers , 5 real nice blinds with feeders a nice bunk house . This year was year 13 for me . He imposed the limit last year . We were not real happy about it . But haven't found a better place to go . most places charge about as much for a 2or 3 day hunt as he charges us for 5 days . And we know the place and just what we are getting into and what to expect . So that means a lot also . I'm pretty sure next year the limit will be 2 per person . I'm pretty sure he threw in the 5th because I didn't get 1 last year . We shall see .

·
22,806 Posts
Nice Job CD!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts