Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,,,I need some advice on how you hang your ladder stands. I hung my first one and it was like a wresting a alligator. A friend said to tie something around the tree and then attach the stand to that,,,,then come back and secure it to the tree. Anyone mind sharing how they hang thiers? And yes i do use a saftey harness and I am attached to the tree while Im doing this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yea way eaiser if you have some one able to help you. someone makes a system that hooks on the tree then to your stand and it just pulls it up into place not sure who makes it or what it is called.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you can't get help. Tie a rope to the tree. Carry a few straps and strap it as you go up it to put the strap and chain on the tree. Takes about 30 min from start to finish. Be safe

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i put them up all the time by myself ...usually i prop the bottom step agains a tree...it can be the tree it will be put on or a smaller one in front of it...this prevents the stand from flying out away from you...a friend can do this by placing their foot on the step...and holding the ladder...they can even assist in raising it by pulling while you push...i have also dug the legs into the ground in place of a tree or person...but you cant be a weakling because the stands are top heavy and you must walk it up...being tall is an advantage...i do use the ropes provided...i usually have wendy with me and she can get behind the tree and hold the ropes while i climb up...i do put some lean into the stand at first but do adjust it to where the ladder is nearly parralell to the tree once i get the chain on...also the ropes have been put around the tree as the directions sez too...i wrap all ladder section connectors with black elect. tape to stop the rattling when youre climbing up...once i put a stand up it is rock solid...i like to sink the ft.into the ground to the 1st step if possible...i also use the middle bar...i prefer to get stands up early as trees will grow a good bit by archery season and really get the chain tight...talk bout rock solid...i personally very seldome use ladderstands,theyre put up for wendy so i really make sure they are solid...

just a side note...i was a roofer for 25-30 yrs...i learned to handle ladders up to 40'...and i used wooden ones for yrs...we could easily walk a 40'ladder extended for 25 yds.when needed...and we always "SET"WITH ONE GUY HOLDING THE FIRST RUNG OR FT. WITH THEIR FOOT...and the other guy pushed it up...thats how i was taught to do it...these ladders were heavier than stands but not top heavy...later when i done roofing on my own i learned i could use an object in place of a person and their foot......a curb,the house or a tree even a step...so i did have a good deal of experience doing that sort of thang...and it can be dangerous...so its better to have someone help...i think most manufactures say to use 3 people...i can see 3 better than 2...no more than three...i'm very experienced in setting ladders and working at heights off ladders...so to me its no big deal but i can see an unexperienced guy getting hurt by trying it thereself or even with helpers...the instructions that come with treestands are very good...thats the best and safest way...but i do prefer pull ropes that dont stretch a mile...anyway one guy can do it...but its very dangerous...:biggrin:

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
i put them up all the time by myself ...usually i prop the bottom step agains a tree...it can be the tree it will be put on or a smaller one in front of it...this prevents the stand from flying out away from you...a friend can do this by placing their foot on the step...and holding the ladder...they can even assist in raising it by pulling while you push...i have also dug the legs into the ground in place of a tree or person...but you cant be a weakling because the stands are top heavy and you must walk it up...being tall is an advantage...i do use the ropes provided...i usually have wendy with me and she can get behind the tree and hold the ropes while i climb up...i do put some lean into the stand at first but do adjust it to where the ladder is nearly parralell to the tree once i get the chain on...also the ropes have been put around the tree as the directions sez too...i wrap all ladder section connectors with black elect. tape to stop the rattling when youre climbing up...once i put a stand up it is rock solid...i like to sink the ft.into the ground to the 1st step if possible...i also use the middle bar...i prefer to get stands up early as trees will grow a good bit by archery season and really get the chain tight...talk bout rock solid...i personally very seldome use ladderstands,theyre put up for wendy so i really make sure they are solid...

just a side note...i was a roofer for 25-30 yrs...i learned to handle ladders up to 40'...and i used wooden ones for yrs...we could easily walk a 40'ladder extended for 25 yds.when needed...and we always "SET"WITH ONE GUY HOLDING THE FIRST RUNG OR FT. WITH THEIR FOOT...and the other guy pushed it up...thats how i was taught to do it...these ladders were heavier than stands but not top heavy...later when i done roofing on my own i learned i could use an object in place of a person and their foot......a curb,the house or a tree even a step...so i did have a good deal of experience doing that sort of thang...and it can be dangerous...so its better to have someone help...i think most manufactures say to use 3 people...i can see 3 better than 2...no more than three...i'm very experienced in setting ladders and working at heights off ladders...so to me its no big deal but i can see an unexperienced guy getting hurt by trying it thereself or even with helpers...the instructions that come with treestands are very good...thats the best and safest way...but i do prefer pull ropes that dont stretch a mile...anyway one guy can do it...but its very dangerous...:biggrin:
Yer gettin windy in yer old age George...good post :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe the tool your looking for is called the "TREESTAND BUDDY" not sure who makes it and I may be a little off on the name. Saw it advertised a few years ago I believe on Roger Raglin.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
TREESTAND BUDDY is a bracket that attaches to Hang on stands,and a receiver attached to trees..The bracket slides in the receiver....Hippiehunter is right about the Roger raglin part though:thumbs_up:, just wrong product..Its called a "ladderstand 2nd man"...They do weigh a bit an cost between 75$ an 100$,but if you put many up they can be worth there money..

If you dont need all that,maybe just the Tree Stand Up will do(and cheaper)

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I have used climbing shoes To put the strap on. I have also used them for homemade stands. I have also used climber stands to hang ladder stand's.. If you build one out of 2x4 and 2x6's using a climber is very helpfull..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
just watched the stand up video and thats exactly how i do it but i dont need the stand up device i've always found someting to hold the bottom,even the tree i'm attaching it too...once its up you just jump out the bottom a bit til its leaning against the tree...i've never dropped a stand yet...but again its better to have a partner that can hold the bottom and even help pull it up...but in most cases where i hunt anyway theres plenty of smaller trees around,as said before the taller you are the better...i'm 6-1 and that ht. works pretty good but still that top heavy stand can be a challenge...not to be forgotten is when you first go up to get the chain on the tree...to me this is the shakiest moment...try to get a temp.fix to hold the ladder to the tree...i believe the two ropes provided are suppose to be attached to the tree before going up...you dont wanna just reach the top and the stand fall back on you...or even to the side...:yikes:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
TREESTAND BUDDY is a bracket that attaches to Hang on stands,and a receiver attached to trees..The bracket slides in the receiver....Hippiehunter is right about the Roger raglin part though:thumbs_up:, just wrong product..Its called a "ladderstand 2nd man"...They do weigh a bit an cost between 75$ an 100$,but if you put many up they can be worth there money..

secondmanfinal.mov - YouTube
Here is a link to a honest review of the "ladderstand 2nd man"..Feel free to post your thoughts..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
maybe i'll do a video on one person setting up a ladderstand...its actually very simple...but dangerous...no matter what you use you better be able to manhandle that baby if needed...unlike the video theres usually brush and trees galore as an obstacle course and hitting this stuff can get you hung up or the whole stand veering off to the side...on second thought i better not do it...i cuss a lot...:Dbut if that can be edited out...i'll be setting them up soon...man i've never done a video...hmmmm hope my shoulder mends quick too...:D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
maybe i'll do a video on one person setting up a ladderstand...its actually very simple...but dangerous...no matter what you use you better be able to manhandle that baby if needed...unlike the video theres usually brush and trees galore as an obstacle course and hitting this stuff can get you hung up or the whole stand veering off to the side...on second thought i better not do it...i cuss a lot...:Dbut if that can be edited out...i'll be setting them up soon...man i've never done a video...hmmmm hope my shoulder mends quick too...:D
Pick me up **** and ill set one up for Ur video I set a two man by my self last year boy was that fun!!!!! I put the base of ladder aginst the tree I was putting it in stood it up grabed a rung about waist high and one rung head high and pushed the top tward the tree and brought the bottom out 3/4ft from The base of the tree and jumped on the bottom rung to set the ladder in The ground and took the ropes I tied at the platform around the tree in a cris cross and tied it to the ladder then climbed up and straped it on put the brace on and done!!! Whewww I'm tired now

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Pick me up **** and ill set one up for Ur video I set a two man by my self last year boy was that fun!!!!! I put the base of ladder aginst the tree I was putting it in stood it up grabed a rung about waist high and one rung head high and pushed the top tward the tree and brought the bottom out 3/4ft from The base of the tree and jumped on the bottom rung to set the ladder in The ground and took the ropes I tied at the platform around the tree in a cris cross and tied it to the ladder then climbed up and straped it on put the brace on and done!!! Whewww I'm tired now

i get my hands up as high as i can when i get it started up...:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts