Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm here and ready!!! Lets get the show on the road. Whats the kentucky season dates?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry for the delay in checking in guys. Got home late from scouting last night. Very quiet evening in the woods what with all the wind. Good luck Frank! Shoot em in the head!

·
Registered
577 Posts
By the way, I'll be in Greene and Clinton counties this year on public land. If you guys have any contacts or suggestions I should follow, lemme know. I can use all the help I can get. Thanks!

Also, where will the rest of you be this year?

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Team 9 is all checked in. Good Luck. Let me know if you have a team name you'd like to go with.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey, hey, the gangs all here! Glad everyone made it! How about Strut Dusters for a name? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I like it. Sounds good to me. I'll be hunting in mostly Ross County. Maybe a little down in Adams County. I just might check out the Kentucky thing. Is there anywhere down that way open to hunt? I don't know anyone down that way.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like we'll have to wait for Frank to finsih up handing out dirt naps to those Kentucky toms before we finalize the name...:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got one last Saturday..took him at the Land between the Lakes. He was a double beard tweener.. A late hatch from the previous summer. He has a six inch beard, a two inch beard and 1/2 inch spurs and weighed 16 pounds gutted..too much for a jake but not enough for a 2 year old. Saw a ton of turkey, more hens than I've ever seen and a lot of hunters.. eagles, ospreys, copperheads and lots of deer.. Bad weather with all those big tornados early last week.. nice time!

kentuckey2012096.mp4 video by Frank_Litavish - Photobucket

·
Registered
577 Posts
Congrats on the bird Frank!

Now lets put a few more of those on the ground in state.

BTW, Team Strut Dusters ok for a name?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Any luck boys??? I was only able to go opening day and with the wind, I didn't hear or see anything. Nothing going to bed Sunday night and nothing all day Monday. I hope this isn't going to be a hard season for me. lol.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I played with a couple of jakes on Mon and Tues, but inexplicably they literally ran past my set up at 100 yrds + after something else, hens that were in the open I guess. They were all gobbling quite loudly at my calls and dekes, but would not commit. After several hours of sitting in silence I gave in once the wind picked up and did some walking and calling down into the bottoms with no response. I won't be back out until Monday, but the good news is my schedule changes next week and I wont be going to work until 2:30 pm. I can hunt a few mornings a week starting Tuesday! Just so you guys know, with my limited opprotunities as to places to go, I will take a jake to keep from eating my first tag and leaving our team with a goose egg on the board. I'll hold off for a long beard on the second one though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nothing wrong with that my buddy. Same here. Can't eat the beard....Well it probably wouldn't taste very good anyway. Bird 1 Jake or longbeard. Which ever commits suicide....;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
ill be out on monday first chance i have gotten. My buddies boy knocked one down on opening day of youth on our farm so that is a good thing. Good luck everyone!:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Deathly quiet on Monday. Traveled to a few decent spots, and not one gobble, yelp, cluck or scratch did I hear and not so much as a feather or footprint did I see! Kinda scary. I even had shock gobble back up in the form of a leigon of crows along with a chorus of owls. Nothin!
Makes me wonder if the weekend warriors finished them all off on Saturday!

I still have my ace, a lonely spot where a buddy unloaded on a longbeard just this past weekend. My buddy missed, so there should still be at least one left, but he got a firm education, if you know what I'm sayin.

I had half thought about going out tommorrow, but seeing as all those bedraggled birds are gonna be washed away by this torrential down pour, it probabbly wouldn't work out to good. Whats been your guys' experience with inclement weather like the downpours and wind we're getting? How quickly do you see birds bounce back to their loudmouthed selves after taking a beating like this? Would it break them up and make them lonely, or make them contemplative and quiet tomorrow?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Haven't heard a turkey either....Everybody I work with has been having them all come in completely quiet. 3 diff people on multiple occasions. I've never really hunting turkey like this but this weekend I'm givin it a go. Go to a good spot and sit and call. Watch for some bobbin red heads. Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts