Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Starting Saturday I’ll be hunting morning and night for probably the next 45 days give or take a few I give up for Packers games. Pretty damn excited.

My brother killed a slammer 7 point a few days ago. He had gone 11 years without killing an archery buck and he really deserved it.

I got one hell of a video to throw together now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I know the tactacam pic isn’t great but this is one I’m after. Was up at 3pm today while I was at work!! Soon enough we’ll cross paths.
Plant Plant community Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Made a hard decision to pass on two beautiful mature bucks tonight. I may regret it but there’s still a lot of season left and I feel there’s some bigger deer in the area.

The footage from tonight’s hunt is top notch. I passed that 8 point on top earlier this week on a morning hunt. He could be a beauty next year.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Was a great evening in the blind with my daughter. Took a gamble and got in the blind a little late . As soon as we sat down deer started filtering into the field. Had two bucks and a doe within range but she just couldn’t make it happen. I have tried to explain that you have seconds too shoot at times and she wants that perfect shot and held off . As I’m smiling she has listened to me on not wanting to make a bad shot at the same time I was ripping my hair out inside mentally screaming shoot . She held off . As much as I want her to shoot and succeed hunting it means more to me just to be out with her each and every time we go . It’s going to happen when it happens , that I understand but shots don’t get any easier then what was presented this evening the surprise live decoy kept their attention I wish I would have grabbed my phone and hit record. But as the old saying goes it just wasn’t meant to be not this time but a fantastic memory to boot
Won’t be out in the morning but tomorrow evening if things go as planned and will be my first sit in tight to known bedding areas . Back in late September when I hung this stand I had planned on attempting a few hunts throughout October but work and hunting with my kids took priority I’m excited to see what I see and with the amount of deer movement I’ve seen regardless of the weather I’m hopeful one of my target bucks from last year shows looking for a lady friend

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Been very fun to be out the last couple days yesterday evening two new bucks showing from lord knows where checking does ignoring anything I had to say to them and this morning yet again they showed and as my luck goes I picked the wrong tree the biggest of the two attempted to mount his doe several times and if I’m not mistaken when a doe holds her tail horizontally she’s definitely in Estrus. Be back out tomorrow morning and if one shows one can only hope to be in the right location this go round….. I’ve got the next week and a half off will see if my back can take the all day sits be it in a blind or in a tree no matter the weather I’ll be out there…. Good luck to the rest of you .

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Been very fun to be out the last couple days yesterday evening two new bucks showing from lord knows where checking does ignoring anything I had to say to them and this morning yet again they showed and as my luck goes I picked the wrong tree the biggest of the two attempted to mount his doe several times and if I’m not mistaken when a doe holds her tail horizontally she’s definitely in Estrus. Be back out tomorrow morning and if one shows one can only hope to be in the right location this go round….. I’ve got the next week and a half off will see if my back can take the all day sits be it in a blind or in a tree no matter the weather I’ll be out there…. Good luck to the rest of you .
The early ones are just starting ! Same as years before Halloween or days before or after is when the rut first starts ( Every year ) ! It will last about three weeks then the does that didn't take and the young does coming into estrus for the first time can put a buck in chase again all the way up and into march. I saw a buck chasing and mount a doe some years ago in March and we had a late fawn that year I believe was the results of what I saw, and it kept its spots all winter long and until it got its summer coat.
Snow Deer Fawn Terrestrial animal Freezing

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Went out this morning decided to let one fly and connected with the pump station he’s no monster but he will serve his purpose as I too needed a cape for a mount so it was an easy decision good luck out there fellas I’ll post in the scoring thread here after a while and in this thread pictures and a very short story when I get a chance now I can again continue to concentrate on getting the kids their first whitetail hopefully

·
Registered
401 Posts
Went out this morning decided to let one fly and connected with the pump station he’s no monster but he will serve his purpose as I too needed a cape for a mount so it was an easy decision good luck out there fellas I’ll post in the scoring thread here after a while and in this thread pictures and a very short story when I get a chance now I can again continue to concentrate on getting the kids their first whitetail hopefully
Congrats!! I’ve been locked into my annual Michigan bow camp. Will be back to Ohio this weekend.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Congrats man can’t wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I won’t be able to make it to my property until next weekend but this big bodied deer showed up last night so hopefully he sticks around.
Black Flash photography Branch Plant Organism

41 - 60 of 86 Posts