Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That would be nice to win. Gonna try to kill one with a bow this year..... again! But if they aren't playing the game, the 12 guage will be used allot.

Team names I just thought up...
Tom Takers
Gobblin Thunder
Run N Gun
Blackberry Gobbler

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive got a few tied up on the farm. Funny,.... they dont like being tied up!:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
That would be nice to win. Gonna try to kill one with a bow this year..... again! But if they aren't playing the game, the 12 guage will be used allot.

Team names I just thought up...
Tom Takers
Gobblin Thunder
Run N Gun
Blackberry Gobbler
whitetail Joe
Will you be bird hunting Pike Co? Just seen that Pike is where you are from. If thats the case, maybe we could hunt together. I live at Lake White.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, I got out today for the first time. I heard zero birds, however I did run into three birds, two were definately jakes but I never did see the third birds chest. I was on a trail and they saw me before I saw them, instead of running away, they just walked back and forth letting out a couple cautious clucks at 35 yards. They walked out of sight so curiously I sat down and did a couple yelps on the slate just to see what they would do. I bet it wasn't two minutes and in they walked to within 25 yards, still I had the bead on them again, trying to see a long beard, but couldn't see their breasts. I don't want to shoot a jake, but if it wasn't for the jakes, the day would have been pretty uneventful. Now to check myself for ticks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pictures are now up on the scoring thread.

It was a pretty quiet morning, in that I never heard a single gobble. I was in a ground blind overlooking a food plot behind the house. I have a trail camera there, and the turkeys seem to pass through there several times a day.

Around 7:00, a hen suddenly appeared in front of me, never making a sound. She then left, and about 10 minutes later, I hear a hen yelping. I responded, and we chatted for a minute or two, and then silence again. About 10 minutes later, I heard yelps again, and responded. I then look up and see turkeys coming down the hill through the woods. Two hens were followed by 3 jakes and my tom. The hens were walking around yelping trying to find the "turkey" they had heard. The jakes and tom were sparring a little. Eventually, the tom stuck his head out around 20 yards away, and the rest is history.

I was home to show the kids before they had to leave for school.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, I didn't,t get one. Went out last day and shot a coyote at 20 yards, he came walking by at 10 feet before he seen me and ran. Amazing what a 3.5 inch 12 does to a yote when shot at close range. But the turkeys will be bigger next year. It has been fun guys. See ya in the deer contest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.