Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That would be nice to win. Gonna try to kill one with a bow this year..... again! But if they aren't playing the game, the 12 guage will be used allot.

Team names I just thought up...
Tom Takers
Gobblin Thunder
Run N Gun
Blackberry Gobbler

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive got a few tied up on the farm. Funny,.... they dont like being tied up!:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
That would be nice to win. Gonna try to kill one with a bow this year..... again! But if they aren't playing the game, the 12 guage will be used allot.

Team names I just thought up...
Tom Takers
Gobblin Thunder
Run N Gun
Blackberry Gobbler
whitetail Joe
Will you be bird hunting Pike Co? Just seen that Pike is where you are from. If thats the case, maybe we could hunt together. I live at Lake White.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, I got out today for the first time. I heard zero birds, however I did run into three birds, two were definately jakes but I never did see the third birds chest. I was on a trail and they saw me before I saw them, instead of running away, they just walked back and forth letting out a couple cautious clucks at 35 yards. They walked out of sight so curiously I sat down and did a couple yelps on the slate just to see what they would do. I bet it wasn't two minutes and in they walked to within 25 yards, still I had the bead on them again, trying to see a long beard, but couldn't see their breasts. I don't want to shoot a jake, but if it wasn't for the jakes, the day would have been pretty uneventful. Now to check myself for ticks.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got us on the board this morning.

A 22 lb. Tom. 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Pictures later

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pictures are now up on the scoring thread.

It was a pretty quiet morning, in that I never heard a single gobble. I was in a ground blind overlooking a food plot behind the house. I have a trail camera there, and the turkeys seem to pass through there several times a day.

Around 7:00, a hen suddenly appeared in front of me, never making a sound. She then left, and about 10 minutes later, I hear a hen yelping. I responded, and we chatted for a minute or two, and then silence again. About 10 minutes later, I heard yelps again, and responded. I then look up and see turkeys coming down the hill through the woods. Two hens were followed by 3 jakes and my tom. The hens were walking around yelping trying to find the "turkey" they had heard. The jakes and tom were sparring a little. Eventually, the tom stuck his head out around 20 yards away, and the rest is history.

I was home to show the kids before they had to leave for school.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my first turkey ever its just a jake but ill get it on the board prolly tonight
Congrats. Now that the first one is out of the way, you can relax and focus on the big one.

One more bird from our team should put us close to 1st.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, I didn't,t get one. Went out last day and shot a coyote at 20 yards, he came walking by at 10 feet before he seen me and ran. Amazing what a 3.5 inch 12 does to a yote when shot at close range. But the turkeys will be bigger next year. It has been fun guys. See ya in the deer contest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts