Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fairly slow morning, so we decided to try a different farm in the afternoon. On this particular farm, I always walk behind the barn to glass the fields and fencerows. Scanning east to north I didn’t see anything. We start to head south and west towards the waterway that I normally use as access and I spotted a buck bedded down looking straight at us along a small fencerow with minimal cover. We weren’t even out of the barnyard yet.

Change of plans. We walk 30 yards back to the truck, start stripping down our outer layers to prepare for a stalk. Our only option was to get behind a rise in the field, crawl uphill, and hopefully be within 100 yards once we peaked the top. With a steady south wind, we had to approach him from the east, crosswind. I decided we should leave our boots behind to avoid mud and corn stubble sticking to them. Crawling through the muddy corn stubble was no easy task, but we finally made it to the top, and I was pleased to see the buck still bedded down in the fencerow. I ranged him at 120 yards. Hayden eased up with and rested his shotgun on the single shooting stick. The buck had no clue we were there.
View attachment 55534
Hayden shot and missed high. The buck stood up, I told Hayden to chamber another round, but when he tried, the gun jammed.I grabbed ahold of the gun and with a little more “umph” I got the second round chambered. The buck was oblivious to all of the commotion, he was looking to his west. Hayden’s second shot counted. The buck buckled, we could see blood pouring. He stopped momentarily, wobbled, then walked a short distance and fell over.

View attachment 55535
Pure dedication right there congrats!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Good number of bucks, BF! Good luck this weekend. DDT showed up at the brassica plot for the first time since 11/1, two mornings in a row. 6am and 2am. Most of the corn is finally harvested in that area, hopefully more and more deer start settling in. I’ve prepped two spots for gun week. Not sure I’ll be out opening day, but will definitely be out Tuesday-Thursday and possibly Friday evening. Depending on what farm I hunt will determine which firearm I’ll hunt with. Saw a lot of deer from the truck this evening! Wish I could have been out.

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
Passed on a possible coyote double this morning at first light. 16 deer later, a single came thru…and I regret not trying for the double! Another day maybe?
Water Plant Natural landscape Twig Wood

I always will wonder if I scared the next whitetail WR away!?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hunting a thick creek bottom with my dad tomorrow afternoon. It’s over a mile from where the giant typical lives but - but it’s possible he could show up there, given it is along the same creek. I’ll be hunting with the .44 mag revolver. I had more bucks on camera and sightings than any other farm I hunt, but that was during pre rut and I have since pulled my camera. Really hoping my dad can pull it off on a decent buck. He’s not as picky as me.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts