Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
You guys know me too well! :ROFLMAO: I did. However, it was only because he broke off his left G2. :( He came through the swampland just like my 2013 buck in the PLB thread. Once he step out of the cover, with his right side to me, I was like, Oh yeah, he is everything I thought he was. Crossbow in hand now and waiting for him to stop at the PLB for a perfect slightly quartering away shot, he walked out onto the mowed path of green grass. My eye instantly caught that something was amiss with the antlers. I set the crossbow down and pulled up the binocs. Bummer! I now see clearly what I saw. The decision was an easy one for me. Sorry guys.
Good luck on Tank Chris! Have FUN on your NOvember vacation Dillon! LOL Enjoy sleeping in and being warm Jared.

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
Wrong forecasted wind for tonight and tomorrow. Will check it to determine whether to hunt. Any east wind is bad for my place but I have other options. We'll see. Plenty of leaves to be picked up and wood to split. Deer are falling. Many friends connected in the last couple days. Dillon, you've been quiet...?
Good luck guys!

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
Maybe I'll clean my phone good and take it with me for some field shots.? Two of the smelliest things you can hunt with, your daily wrist watch and your phone. IMO

Reactions: bankfish

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Will be heading out after work for a quick evening hunt. I’ve got my bow and buck decoy in the truck. Drove through the area the past two evenings, deer have been everywhere! Saw the silhouette of a big one. Could only make out a very thick, wide rack!

Youth gun weekend I’ll be taking Hayden out again. He’s my buddy Ryans’ son. Last year I took him out and he shot his first deer - a mature doe. This year he’s holding out for a buck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Heading out here soon. My buddies last day to hunt before heading back to Pa. He missed a buck and sliced the hide of another one Tuesday morning. Missed another one Thursday night. He's had a great time, wish he'd get one today. Seen a pretty nice one yesterday, no shooting tho. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Quick update on the few days I hunted.. Wednesday morning I had BS within range, Wednesday evening had two mature buck sightings, a lot of great rutting activity all day long. Thursday morning only saw does, bit heard a lot of chasing in the thicket. Enjoyed watching woods ducks and hooded mergansers on the creek. Saw a few wild turkey and a beaver, too. Thursday mid-afternoon I was not able to hunt, so instead, I hopped on the dirt bike to go hang another cell cam, figured it was a great opportunity to go do that since they were harvesting the corn field. Sure enough, as I was making my way across the stubble bean field, BS made an appearance out of the corn field. I knew he was spending some time in there, and the combine ran him right out. Thursday and Friday evening I scouted from the truck. A lot of deer activity. At work now and decided I’m going to go hunt the creek after work, instead of decoy hunting a cut corn field (original plan.) BS is on the creek RIGHT NOW :D

This photo shows LS at the new creek crossing stand to the south.

Black Water Black-and-white Grass Font

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
Saw a really good 8 point I'd take if he makes it to my side of the road. Chris, any new sightings of Tank? Dillon must still be NOvember vacation and being silenced!? LOL

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Out now, no Tank pictures lately, I assume he's still around by his distinguished track. A little windy for my liking today, but ya never know. Good luck on the 8pt JH. Hope Rev is enjoying his vacation!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
After a long drive with many slow downs, we got home just before midnight. I’ll be in the stand by 6:30am. BS has been on two different cameras the past couple nights. Will also set up the hay bale blind tomorrow afternoon! Nice 8 point! Good luck guys.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cloud Sky Plant Wheel Natural landscape

Got the hay bale blind set up today. It’s basically in the middle of a field near a brush pile, within rifle range of three well traveled fencerows. Not many deer on this farm right now which is kind of strange - but it’s always a great spot late season. There is still a fair amount of standing corn in the area.. could be one reason for lack of deer.
Atmosphere Branch Natural landscape Flash photography Grass

Here’s a not-so-great photo of BS. He came through this evening. My youth hunter- Hayden, and I will be out there after him tomorrow. Hayden, his dad, little sister, and I were out shooting this evening. That boy was hitting a great group at 80 yards with his scoped 20 gauge, rifled barrel and saboted slugs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Fairly slow morning, so we decided to try a different farm in the afternoon. On this particular farm, I always walk behind the barn to glass the fields and fencerows. Scanning east to north I didn’t see anything. We start to head south and west towards the waterway that I normally use as access and I spotted a buck bedded down looking straight at us along a small fencerow with minimal cover. We weren’t even out of the barnyard yet.

Change of plans. We walk 30 yards back to the truck, start stripping down our outer layers to prepare for a stalk. Our only option was to get behind a rise in the field, crawl uphill, and hopefully be within 100 yards once we peaked the top. With a steady south wind, we had to approach him from the east, crosswind. I decided we should leave our boots behind to avoid mud and corn stubble sticking to them. Crawling through the muddy corn stubble was no easy task, but we finally made it to the top, and I was pleased to see the buck still bedded down in the fencerow. I ranged him at 120 yards. Hayden eased up with and rested his shotgun on the single shooting stick. The buck had no clue we were there.
Cloud Sky People in nature Farmer Wood

Hayden shot and missed high. The buck stood up, I told Hayden to chamber another round, but when he tried, the gun jammed.I grabbed ahold of the gun and with a little more “umph” I got the second round chambered. The buck was oblivious to all of the commotion, he was looking to his west. Hayden’s second shot connected. The buck buckled, we could see blood pouring. He stopped momentarily, wobbled, then walked a short distance and fell over.

Cloud Sky Plant Hunting People in nature

61 - 80 of 92 Posts