Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Went out opening evening and saw a 4 year old 10pt. He’s a solid buck and one that I’m hoping to get my dad on again. I say again because it’s the same 10pt that my dad wounded last October. Picked up his sheds late winter- he’s back and packing about a 150” rack. I am impatiently waiting for the return of the giant non typical. But I will say, many mature bucks are moving in these cooler evenings. Heading out Saturday morning to help my dad hang another stand for him to hunt out of. I placed a cell cam on a creek crossing several months ago, the past two weeks many bucks have been crossing the creek back and forth from a bean field to an oak hillside. We’re gonna place that stand near that crossing. Same farm I killed my buck on last fall, this year there is a 4, maybe 5 year old 10 point that is crossing that creek almost daily. Another buck I’m hoping to put my dad on.

Plant Elk Deer Natural landscape Vegetation

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hunted yesterday with little movement. Got down around 7:10 got my truck and when I pulled out of the drive there were 6 bucks across the street in the field. It’s still plenty light enough to see and still plenty of legal shooting light left. It just gets dark in the woods a lot sooner. I pull out the binos and recognize all the bucks instantly. One being a big 8 that disappeared in August and the other is the “goofy” non typical that has been being very camera shy. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I have permission to hunt the field but not the woods butting up to it. It’s a 5 acre piece that someone bought about 6 years ago. Going to try getting permission probably today
Deer Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Tail
Flash photography Carnivore Font Monochrome photography Event
Carnivore Flash photography Fawn Tints and shades Monochrome photography
Deer Terrestrial animal Tints and shades Art Rectangle

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I took the recurve out with hopes of killing a doe. But sure enough, only saw one small buck! Good luck getting on one of them bucks JMC! BF, looks like an awesome new property.. however, them fields are missing something, a Pine Licking Branch!!

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
I sure like the big 8 JCM!! Nothing happening with me yet deer hunting. Still fishing a lot with Grandson. Going Musky fishing Sunday! 5 cams out, 2 which are cell cams. 4 more cells to put out...maybe Sat.? Won't hunt until something shows which will more than likely be late October. I will reset my PLB (s?) October 16th and set a cell cam on it. Food plots are amazing looking this fall.
Now, just need some big bucks to show. I like my late season chances though! Good luck men!

·
Registered
255 Posts
JH I just went through your whitetail album for the first time. First off let me say that I am very impressed by it. You’ve harvested some great bucks over the years and it’s awesome to see them in a album like that with the year labeled. I’d love to hear a little story on your ‘03 buck? He’s a absolute unit!

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
JH I just went through your whitetail album for the first time. First off let me say that I am very impressed by it. You’ve harvested some great bucks over the years and it’s awesome to see them in a album like that with the year labeled. I’d love to hear a little story on your ‘03 buck? He’s a absolute unit!
Thanks JMC! I'm glad I have a great memory for detail...because I can remember everything about every hunt. We just had a major ransom virus hit work and every picture of every buck and all my fishing pictures of my two Grandsons as well as every other file on my computer were encrypted. :( So all I have is what's in my head, for the most part. Maybe I'll write up a story for you. Other deer have better stories, like '99 buck and last years buck. You can read last years story in crossbow hunting on pg 15 of Pine Licking Branch Buck.
Thanks again!
Rich

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Tank's still hangin out. Gotta work tomorrow morning and a dinner party tomorrow night, so maybe Sunday morning I can show up undetected, if the wind cooperates. Although, he doesn't look as thick bodied as he did in summer.
Plant Botany Deer Tree Vegetation

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
Great buck jmc! (y) That was quick too. Way to get us started! Details please!

Reactions: jmc2233

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had this deer on camera last year but didn’t pay much attention since he was just another one of the handful of younger “up and comers” I had. As soon as I put cameras out this year it didn’t take long for him to show up. Only this year sporting a droptine! As the season approached a few of the other nice bucks vanished and he stuck around. He’s stayed pretty consistent all summer and leading up to the season so I knew I’d have a good chance early. Opening day rolls around and I’m hunting strictly evening’s. I hunted probably 4-5 evenings with no sightings of him. But when checking cameras he was still coming in consistently. Even a couple evenings right before dark… While I wasn’t there of course. October 10th, a little warm, wind wasn’t perfect but I had the urge to get out. Kick two does up on the way in and see 4 while sitting. 6:55 rolls around and I’m messing with my phone seeing how good the camera was as it was getting dark. I hear a stick snap behind me and look and see the left side of his rack sticking out from behind a tree. My wind wad blowing straight out in front of me so that was perfect where he was coming from. He walked right in to my left and I shot him at 7 yards. Double lunged, went about 100 yards and crashed!
(Broke his droptine off about a week into the season)
Elk Deer Black-and-white Fawn Plant
Flash photography Elk Organism Deer Style

21 - 35 of 35 Posts