What a stud! Congrats Maggie!!! Definitely fill us in on the details

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
Merry Christmas Maggie!!!

Reactions: Maggie

·
2,047 Posts
Wow that's a nice buck. Plenty of mass. Congrats!

Reactions: Maggie

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
I'm not. I've got a half marathon Saturday morning and then I need to get priming and painting done on my bathroom I'm having remodeled. We want to get the part behind the toilet and vanity done so I don't have to work around them. I'll probably get out the following Saturday.

Good luck if you're getting out team!
Curious SW, what was your half time? I dabble a bit when I can...mostly with the wifey now. Used to be a die-hard!
Good luck hunting.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Curious SW, what was your half time? I dabble a bit when I can...mostly with the wifey now. Used to be a die-hard!
Good luck hunting.
I finished this one at 2:01:08, the one in the Smokies two weeks ago was 2:06, and my PR is 1:49:57. My consistent sub 2 hours are probably behind me now that I hit 50 (51 next month) but I do love to run. I'm taking a week off to heal a foot issue but then I'll be back at it. I run outside all year, even in the bitter weather. I'll start training for my 5th full around the first of the year.

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
I finished this one at 2:01:08, the one in the Smokies two weeks ago was 2:06, and my PR is 1:49:57. My consistent sub 2 hours are probably behind me now that I hit 50 (51 next month) but I do love to run. I'm taking a week off to heal a foot issue but then I'll be back at it. I run outside all year, even in the bitter weather. I'll start training for my 5th full around the first of the year.
Nice job SW! My wife wants to do a half. Me, not so sure. I like the shorty 5k's. I'll do one if she really wants though. Never ran a full, but I did walk one last year, 7 hours at a 16:01 pace. At 56, I just can't shed the soreness after every run like my younger years. Longest race I ever ran was the Charleston Distance Run, a 15 miler, back in '80, 81 & 82. We won the High School Team (3 runners) title 3 years straight - maybe more?. The glory days of my running habit. I did dabble in Tri's in the late 80's and early 90's some.

Keep it up. Maybe we'll 'run' into each other one day.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice job on the full! Go for a half, the training isn't bad especially compared to a full. Consider doing the Flying Pig in Cincy, the first weekend in May. It's my favorite race and the crowd support is AMAZING! It's a citywide block party is the best way to describe it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Looks like I'll be sitting Saturday morning. I'm not expecting much, probably does and a few dinks as the big boys are probably still nocturnal. I'll know more after I pull my cards which has soaked for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great buck! Taking a buck this early can always leave you wondering if a bigger one would have come by later, but you will not have to worry about that this year. Would love to see some more pics of that brute. Well done!

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Great buck! Taking a buck this early can always leave you wondering if a bigger one would have come by later, but you will not have to worry about that this year. Would love to see some more pics of that brute. Well done!
Plant Green Deer Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

This is from a week or so before season opened….I’m thinking he was 4.5. I found his shed last winter and he made about a 20” jump this year.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Hi, Guys. Finally got a little time to tell you about my hunt!! Between the county fair, volleyball schedule, driver’s Ed and homecoming preparations, this week has been crazy busy. . . Here’s a little background info on the buck and getting ready for the season.

Prior to the season starting, we had been getting this buck on camera pretty regularly in our main food plot. We also had a lot of pics down on a mineral lick just off in the woods around this plot. I found his shed last year on the other side of our farm, too. We knew he was staying close. He was close enough to get his picture taken almost daily a.m. and p.m. in this clover plot. I was pretty sure he was bedding close to the plot as I jumped him up on my way to mow.
Photograph Light Nature Black Natural environment

Plant Green Deer Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Sky Jeans People in nature Plant Sleeve

Unfortunately, the ash tree with the stand in it snapped in half over the winter and we really had no other tree to put a stand in. A couple weeks before season opened, my husband and I moved a ladder stand from the other side of the farm. Not an easy task for us…my husband had a big rotator cuff and bicep surgery at the end of June and I had open heart surgery March 2020. Both of us together are about as strong as a 12 year old kid 😆 What was left of the ash tree was sketchy at best and we decided to put the ladder stand in a slightly less sketchy 10” diameter elm tree that is about 15’ tall. We had to remove the middle section of the ladder which put the stand at about 12’. The field is shaped like a boomerang with the stand facing west just about where it starts to concave.

Fast forward to opening weekend: the wind wouldn’t be right until Saturday evening’s hunt. So we took some time to clean up around the cabin and mow grass. I decided to shoot my NEW 6 day old, recently sighted in ten point a couple more times before I went out. After the 3rd shot, it blew up on me 😳
Automotive tire Plant Arrow Tree Grass

I drove the 2 hours back to Cabelas who were awesome! They printed my receipt for me, determined the bow was defective, and exchanged it for basically the same bow but a different model…they had exactly 2 ten points left. Stressful! Another 2 hours back to the
Farm…no Saturday hunt and Sunday morning would be spent sighting in the bow.

Got the bow sighted in, walked out to the main food plot about 4:50 and bumped a small flock of turkeys. All but 1 Turkey skidaddled to the south of me.
Bird Plant Plant community People in nature Green

Sat in the stand, cooking in the sun, for about an hour before a little 4 point ran across the field. Shortly after, a doe and 2 fawns came from my right and trotted right into the shady spot where they fed, checked out the lost hen, and proceeded to bed down. Another 2 does popped out to my right at about 6:30 and began to feed. I could sense something to my left but couldn’t hear or see anything. A few minutes later, I could hear a deer feeding, glanced to my left just as the tip of his main beam came into view …I saw the little nub that makes up his 12th point and knew it was him. He was within 5 yards of my stand and started to feed up the hill at a slight angle. I probably shot him at 7 yards…at the most 10. The impact from the bolt pushed him sideways and down. The bolt went in up to the fletching and he shook the arrow about 10 yards later. He had no use of the opposite leg and his hind legs were not working well either. He ran about 30 additional yards and skidded to a stop out in front of me.
Plant Grass Grassland Groundcover Plain
Groundcover Plant Shrub Grass Terrestrial plant
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Shrub

It all happened so quickly, I never had time to get nervous. He literally came within view and I shot him within seconds. I am very grateful for this buck…my first with a weapon other than a gun.
Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting Elk Deer
Head Hunting Deer Elk Fawn

And I’m especially grateful my husband is hunting a different, bigger buck that gave him the slip last year!!

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
With that pot belly I’d almost go with 5 1/2
He really added some inches from last year …maybe 20”. He definitely was eating well!! Here is a picture of him last year post muzzleloader season. He is pretty run down…he almost looks 2.5 here 🙈🙉 but I’m going with a 3.5 year old that ran more than his fair share of does.
Deer Tree Fawn Adaptation Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
810 Posts
I made it out this morning. I had three small bucks; 3pt, 6pt, and half rack 3pt at 11 yards. I'm not sure why he's a half rack, if it's broken off at the base it's broken flat. I'll be back out next weekend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good to hear you guys are seeing some , I'm hoping to get out next weekend. Still trying to finish up projects from our recent move before the cold hits. Stopped and talked to the farmer today where I hunt and he was doing his high moisture corn and that they will be doing the spot where I hunt next weekend so I'm excited for that

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Good for Cabela's to make it right and great job getting everything squared away with a busy schedule, teenagers are so much fun. :)
Cabelas and their staff were excellent. I feel so bad for anyone currently in retail…they are overworked, stressed out and underpaid. Shout out to Austin at Cabelas who really helped me out when the computer told him zero tenpoints in the store but searched the back room to double check!!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts