Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Team 4 Tail Chasers

3K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  henseldd 
#1 ·
Hey guys checking in here. I will be hunting mostly Greene and Clinton counties, and where ever else I may end up!!

#22 ·
I called in a tom yesterday with a paper thin beard about 6 inches long, he strutted and gobbled around my decoy but I couldnt talk my-self into shooting him. I kinda regret it today but hopefully he will grow up to be a little bigger someday.Is their such a thing as QTM?

#24 ·
I finally got out this a.m. and while I was setting up my decoys I had one gobbling at the geese flying over. Saw him in the newly planted field but couldn't get him to come over. I had 4 hens and a strutting tom decoy out.

Questions for you guys. I don't have much land to hunt so I have to stay put. I think I tired out the gobbler calling too much. If you had to sit in the same spot all morning, how often would you be calling? And would it be clucks, yelps, or both?

Do you have a tom in your decoy setups?

Thanks in advance for the help to the newbie.

#25 ·
If he is mature or a older bird anyhow put one of ur hens clear to the ground and put ur Tom kinda on her back or so it looks like it and put the rest of ur hens a few feet away normall. And getcha a squealing hen call and hammer down he won't resist that

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#26 ·
It depends on the birds you have in the area. If they mature then do like he said but if you are not sure or know they are younger birds a lot if times from ny understanding it can scare them off. Another tool to use is to cutter at them. I have been trying this out and it seemed to work alright with mouth call but the bird u got shot at yesterday could not resist the cutting if my box call. This was a mature bird too. Just mix it up and see what they respond to. Sometimes just a simple short change in locations like 50 to 100 yards or if you can get to another direction this can help. I think the reason my bird was not coming to me wad because he did not want to cross creek or fence. I only really moved 150 yards and he came right in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.