1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Bankfish here. (Chris). Will be hunting Butler and Preble co. Might be a tough season. Went out Saturday morning and only heard one gobbling. Maybe some more will travel thru during the season :unsure:

·
Registered
88 Posts
John checking in. Will be hunting Lorain, Ashland, and possibly Guernsey. I'm hoping for a productive season. Will be hunting a mix of private & public

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kornfed Jr checking in! LOL. How are yall doing? I will be hunting all over the place, both public and private. Opening weekend some friends/family and I are heading down to Coshocton to hunt public down that way. After that it will be a mix of public and private in Portage, Lake, and Ashtabula counties.

Have you guys been out scouting at all?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Last Saturday I went to check things out, just one gobbling. He'll probably get shot off a bait pile on the neighboring property. Heard rumors last yr about it and the gobbler I shot had fresh corn in him. Not typical for springtime. I did talk to the warden about it. It's supposed to rain here Sat, but i have Sunday and Monday off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like the weather has cleared up for me Saturday. Good luck fellas. I for one plan on shooting the most beastly jake you ever did see

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hahahahaha nice! The new hunter I have with me is perfectly fine with shooting a nice jake. I am too for that matter.

We got up early this morning and went out scouting. Found a few gobbling. Gonna go back out in the afternoon to roost one after letting him shoot the gun a bit to get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
First time turkey hunter went along with me this morning. 7:00 a jake came past me at 10yds, headed to the decoys. Told him to shoot it, he did. Shortest beard I think I've ever seen. Only about 2-1/2"maybe 3"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So close this morning. Called one in around 9, he wouldn't commit to coming into the field, maybe decoys spooked him. He shut up. 10:00 he starts gobbling again, so I go in after him this time. Had him at 15yds spittin and drummin, too thick to see much. Got a glimpse of his head twice, just too thick to shoot. I ain't done with him yet ;)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No gobbling this morning, one hen seen. Going tomorrow to a new spot, deer hunted there, never turkeys tho. Homeowner said he could hear them this morning from his bedroom with no hearing aids in:oops:. Hopefully they're in the same spot tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
6:45am. 21.8 lbs. 10-1/2" beard. 1" spurs. The homeowner wasn't lying. 5-6 gobbling this morning, heard them fly down and they went away from me at first. They gobbled their fool heads off 100 yds from me. Didn't think they'd come my way. After 1/2hr they were closer, a few yelps and I could hear them walking. He was the first in line, all fanned out. My old '97 wouldn't go off. I started to freak out a little bit then figured out the slide wasn't all the way closed. Clicked it closed, then it went off and the flop was on. Good luck team.
20210502_071446.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congrats @ bankfish! Way to hold your composure and get it figured out!

So far not a single gobble in my hunting areas. So decided to put some miles in Sunday quietly and calling every So often. Nothing. Sat down for a snacky snack and got busted by a jake at 20 yards. That's hunting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations @bankfish! I was able to get one Saturday, just haven't had time to post about it until now. I was out on public land Saturday morning. Picked out a spot to sit the night before on onX. Sat out there until around 7:30 and didn't hear anything, then decided to get up and go check some fields up ahead of me a couple of hundred yards. I slowly walked up to the fields and made my way around them, checking for birds. I got to the corner of one field and stepped into the woods to let off a few calls. I had decided if I didn't hear anything, I would work my way back to my truck to move on to another area. After calling, I thought I heard movement up ahead of me. Then I heard something loud behind, turned out to be a dude hiking as far as I could tell. He walked diagonally across me, stopped, looked for a while and then turned around and walked back out the way he came. I waited for a minute or so and then decided to work my forward a little bit to see if the next field had anything in it. As I am working my way up, I glance to my right and boom, there's a bird 5 yards from me just staring at me. The bird was a male (red head) but I could not see his beard. I stayed as still as possible and watched several birds move through down the field edge, including two more red heads. Eventually the bird that was staring at me moves off and he doesn't seem spooked.

I give the birds a minute to move down the field and head back to the field I had come from and run down it. The woods between the two fields was thick enough that I felt safe moving fast and making a little noise. I get the end of the field and setup on the path that connects the bottom of the two fields. I had tucked into the brush a little bit. The path turned into the woods and down into a small creek bottom. I sat there and waited for the birds to pop out. I could hear the hens short yelping and a jake yelping. I threw some soft yelps back with my mouth call. I probably waited 15 minutes before the action began. One of the hens had just yelped and I could tell they were close and then I heard long loud yelps behind me. I tried turning my head to the right to see what was making the sound, but I was pretty sure it was a person calling. I turn my head back to the left and the hen is standing just inside the brushline along the side of the path (about 30 yards). A jake walked up behind her. They stood there for a second and then moved off like they didn't like the situation but they never putted. I decided to hold off on shooting the jake because I thought there was a bigger bird in the group. Sure enough, I see another red head coming out. I waited until he came out and when I saw his bird swing out, I swung my gun around and branch and let him have it. He went down pretty hard and started flopping down into the drainage before I made it to him. After I brought him back up to where I was setup, there were two guys standing there. It was them that had been calling behind me, they had walked into the one field and could see the birds in the other field. They also saw something shiny and they couldn't figure out what it was. It ended up being the barrel of my gun 😂.

He had a little better than a 9.5" beard and just over an inch spurs. He weighed 20.2 pounds. Sorry for the long-winded story but I just like sharing the details of the hunt, definitely one I will remember.

Going to register him on the scoreboard tomorrow probably at this point. I am exhausted from getting up early on the weekends and then my second covid shot.
download_20210501_172516.jpg

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Congratulations Kornfed Jr. Awesome story. @bankfish! I was able to get one Saturday, just haven't had time to post about it until now. I was out on public land Saturday morning. Picked out a spot to sit the night before on onX. Sat out there until around 7:30 and didn't hear anything, then decided to get up and go check some fields up ahead of me a couple of hundred yards. I slowly walked up to the fields and made my way around them, checking for birds. I got to the corner of one field and stepped into the woods to let off a few calls. I had decided if I didn't hear anything, I would work my way back to my truck to move on to another area. After calling, I thought I heard movement up ahead of me. Then I heard something loud behind, turned out to be a dude hiking as far as I could tell. He walked diagonally across me, stopped, looked for a while and then turned around and walked back out the way he came. I waited for a minute or so and then decided to work my forward a little bit to see if the next field had anything in it. As I am working my way up, I glance to my right and boom, there's a bird 5 yards from me just staring at me. The bird was a male (red head) but I could not see his beard. I stayed as still as possible and watched several birds move through down the field edge, including two more red heads. Eventually the bird that was staring at me moves off and he doesn't seem spooked.

I give the birds a minute to move down the field and head back to the field I had come from and run down it. The woods between the two fields was thick enough that I felt safe moving fast and making a little noise. I get the end of the field and setup on the path that connects the bottom of the two fields. I had tucked into the brush a little bit. The path turned into the woods and down into a small creek bottom. I sat there and waited for the birds to pop out. I could hear the hens short yelping and a jake yelping. I threw some soft yelps back with my mouth call. I probably waited 15 minutes before the action began. One of the hens had just yelped and I could tell they were close and then I heard long loud yelps behind me. I tried turning my head to the right to see what was making the sound, but I was pretty sure it was a person calling. I turn my head back to the left and the hen is standing just inside the brushline along the side of the path (about 30 yards). A jake walked up behind her. They stood there for a second and then moved off like they didn't like the situation but they never putted. I decided to hold off on shooting the jake because I thought there was a bigger bird in the group. Sure enough, I see another red head coming out. I waited until he came out and when I saw his bird swing out, I swung my gun around and branch and let him have it. He went down pretty hard and started flopping down into the drainage before I made it to him. After I brought him back up to where I was setup, there were two guys standing there. It was them that had been calling behind me, they had walked into the one field and could see the birds in the other field. They also saw something shiny and they couldn't figure out what it was. It ended up being the barrel of my gun 😂.

He had a little better than a 9.5" beard and just over an inch spurs. He weighed 20.2 pounds. Sorry for the long-winded story but I just like sharing the details of the hunt, definitely one I will remember.

Going to register him on the scoreboard tomorrow probably at this point. I am exhausted from getting up early on the weekends and then my second covid shot.
View attachment 54472 View attachment 54474 View attachment 54475 View attachment 54476

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I wasn't going to buy another tag, but my buddy is tagged out. The boy that shot the jake first day with me wants to go again. Figured with all the gobbling I heard Sunday morning, maybe we could double up. Headed out Saturday morning before the rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts