Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Registered
Going to go out for a few hours in the morning to try and get mr. bluedog a bird. I'll have a gun also if opportunity knocks. But here was my conversation this evening with our Google Home:

Hey Google: when is sunrise tomorrow?

Google: The sun will rise tomorrow at 6:02am (which means shooting light is just after 5:30am)

Me: waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :censored:馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

The joy of hunting mid to late May. LOL

And Strut Zone Assassin, are you out there? You've been very quiet.

Registered
Lol.. Then early mornings can be rough late season.. Especially when you have already harvested a bird. Everyone I've talked to is saying birds aren't gobbling.. I haven't had that problem.. But I haven't been out for a little while either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
This morning was about as much fun as one could have in the turkey woods without getting a turkey. We drove the Kubota to the pond and parked about 5:10am. I owl hooted before we started back. All that did was shut up a pair of Great Horned Owls that had been hooting but no gobbles heard. mr. bluedog and I walked the edge of our bigger field heading back to our favorite homemade ground blind. We were set up by 5:25am. Neither one of us had hunted since I got my tom on May 3rd. The ground blind would give a good view of the field and even if nothing came past, we would surely be able to see some turkeys and get a sense of what they were doing. Our plan was to stay out until 8-9am because mr. bluedog needed to start discing our other field and I needed to mow grass. mr. bluedog left 11am and I stayed out until almost noon. LOL Best laid plans but also shows what kind of morning it was.

Unknowingly we had walked right past where the turkeys were roosting. As it got light, gobbling started on the roost. It's going to be hard to summarize all the events but here goes. A gobbler and 3 hens came out in the field 250 yards out. I called and they all started drifting our way. At around 125 yards, the gobbler bred one of the hens. He stayed on top of her for at least 2-3 minutes. I didn't know they did that? I thought it would be like chickens where they jump on, breed and jump off. It was weird. When he was done, the hen that he just bred and another hen continued toward the ground blind. The third hen started going down the field directly away from us. Of course the gobbler followed her. They parked themselves about 500-600 yards down the field and he strutted the whole time. Meanwhile I was able to get one of the hens near us fired up. She ended up clucking and yelping her way over and came within 10-15 feet of the blind. I thought she was going to jump up on the edge of it. LOL All that yelping made the tom gobble fairly frequently but he wasn't leaving his hen. Finally they all drifted into the woods around 9am.

To get home, we had to walk right to where the gobbler and hen went into the woods 500 yards away. We decided to move about 300 yards and then see if we could re-locate him. The gobbler was far south. mr. bluedog set up toward the tom and I was about 50 yards further to the north. We did some calling and a hen came up from behind us. She ended up walking past me about 15 feet (deja vu) then circled back around and parked herself about 30 yards behind me. She was very vocal and between us calling and her yelping, the tom would periodically gobble. Occasionally we would sit quiet for 15-20 minutes. Every time we started calling again, that hen would start yelping from her position 30 yards behind me (more or less as she moved around a little bit). This went on for well over an hour. Eventually the gobbler circled around and ended up in our next field over and north of me. So at 11am mr. bluedog left the woods and I stayed to see if this gobbler would come over. Again I called and that hen started clucking. I got turned around to face the other way. The hen was 30 yards in front and to my left. The gobbler was 75 yards in front and to my right. The hen and the gobbler were very vocal so I just let them talk to each other. Neither one was budging. It was crazy. Eventually the tom drifted to 60 yards and then I could finally see him. Another 10 minutes passed. Then some deer ran through the set up and all the turkeys ran away and shut up. This was my opportunity to head home to get some work done. LOL What a fun morning though.

Registered
Rise and star shine and a little breakfast at 4am. I had so much fun yesterday that I couldn't pass up another opportunity to hear turkeys at sunrise. Bought a turkey permit last night so I'm ready for my annual excursion to the neighbor's farm across the road. 馃 :love:

Registered
I was out from daybreak to 3pm. I never saw or heard a turkey. There was another hunter about 600 yards away. He started hen yelping at 5:10am. Every 5 minutes until about 5:30am. I could hear him plain as day. He was in a spot that I heard gobbling yesterday morning while I was hunting my place. Total silence this morning. Way to go mr. long and loud yelper 20 minutes before legal shooting time. This warm weather coming this week should activate the mosquitos. I just got buzzed a couple times today but not bad at all. That will surely change this week.

Registered

Feels like a good gobbling morning! I'm 2 for 3 this year.. Let's see if I can make it 3/4 and get my girl her first turkey.. She hit one last year with 410 that we couldn't find. Bought them a 20ga this year

Registered
Good luck!!!!

I've been mentally struggling the last couple days. Yesterday morning there was a strutting tom in my field behind my house and I had to go to work. This morning there was a tom gobbling across the road on my neighbor's farm where I have permission to hunt and I have to go to work. 馃槶 馃槶 馃槶

Registered
That stinks... We didn't hear anything this morning. Walked 5 yards to a hen... But that was it. She was complaining of being tired early so it was a quick morning. I'll be out tomorrow and Sunday with my 14yr old. 2 more chances!

Registered
Looks like it's all over for us! Didn't get out today! Was a fun season! First time I tagged out so early though! I think I like shooting one... And then the turkeys making it harder for me making me have to spend more time in the woods! They made it seem easy this year... But Imma stay humble and know that was all a fluke.... Can't trick me.. I know these birds hardly EVER follow the script! Can't wait for next year and new tags in my pocket! We may be back as WINNERS next year! If so... Bluedog.... We need to get our team mate to chime in on our convos! #1

Registered
mr. bluedog and I went out this morning on our place. I called in 4 hens. One of them spent the better part of 2 hours in the field we were sitting on. Most of the time she was within 30 yards and she was MOUTHY! She did nothing but yelp and cluck the majority of her time in the field, at least when she was close to us. Both of us had to pee bad by the end. It was painful. LOL I was hoping no one was hunting on our neighbor's because if they were, they probably wondered what stupid hunter was calling so loud and often. The only time I called was when she first popped into the field around 6am and once she became vocal, I let her do all the calling. Not one single gobble heard and not one single male turkey seen.

This evening I went across the road to my neighbor's. I got set up at 4pm. I called sporadically. About 5:10 I heard a gobble. It took awhile, but eventually the gobbler got to within 75-100 yards. I never saw it though. And it would not cross an open cow pasture with tall grass that was between him and me. No way to move on him as the woods he was in is very open and flat. At least I heard a gobble.

I'm not sure if I'll hunt tomorrow or not. I have some errands to run in the morning. Tuesday I work but then I have Wednesday through Sunday off work. It looks like weather may play a factor in when I get to hunt. I'm not as motivated to hunt in rain since I already have one bird. LOL

Registered
I'll try to keep this version short. LOL Last night I went back after the gobbler from Sunday night (the one that wouldn't cross through the tall grass). I set up near where I first heard him on Sunday. There is a nice tree there where I had shot a tom a few years back. I sat from 4pm to 8pm calling sporadically. 15 minutes into my walk home (I was easing through the woods to go check a recently plowed field. A crow calls and that darn bird gobbled. Right in the woodlot where I had just come from. Evil evil birds. LOL

I had to work to today but tomorrow I'm going to make the first trip of the spring to another friend's farm. I have no clue what is happening over there. I shot a turkey there 2 years ago and my husband shot one there last year so there are usually some birds around.

Registered
Sleep won out over turkey hunting this morning. It's warm, humid and buggy. We are supposed to get strong storms mid to late afternoon but the word is that the cold front is supposed to move through quickly so maybe the evening will work for a hunt. Maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Registered
Hunted last night after the rain pulled through. I was out from about 5pm to 8pm. I went after the gobbling bird on my neighbor's. When I first got to my spot, the bird was actually gobbling on his own. Before I ever made a call, the farmer came out with his tractor to work a nearby field. The gobbler spooked but I thought I was in a very good spot near where they like to roost. Alas, I never heard or saw him again.

Today I went to friend's farm. First time this year. I shot a tom here in 2019. I never heard gobbling on the roost or any other time. I never saw a male bird. I had a hen come by one of my 3 spots I sat at 20 yards and another spot I had a hen come by at 5 yards. It was pretty breezy by the afternoon and I was having trouble hearing anything. I'm planning on going back out there tomorrow in the rain. There are 2 newly planted fields that I'm hoping the birds will be visiting. Very little field action today as those fields were bone dry.

mr. bluedog hunted our home farm today. He had a great by quick morning hunt when 2 longbeards ran across the field to his set up and he shot one of them.

Registered
Well I went out hunting yesterday and I was 100% delusional on what was going to happen. It wasn't bad right at sunrise. All was normal with little birdies chirping and crows starting to caw. That lasted about 15 minutes and it started to rain. Not a light rain or heavy rain but what I would call a steady rain. A steady rain that would soak you in a couple minutes if you stood in it. All bird activity shut down. Really all animal activity shut down. I was tucked under the cover of a Port-a-roof umbrella that I had set up. Certainly there would be periodic breaks in the rain or times when the rain would lighten up, right?

And so I sat. About once an hour I would get up and sneak to the nearby field to glass. It was always empty. One time around 10am, the rain got a bit lighter. I even heard a few tweety birds singing again. I went near the field and threw out some yelps. The lighter rain lasted about 10 minutes and then it was back to steady rain and all the birds quit singing again.

I took a nap. 11am I ate lunch. At noon I was bored and I'd never explored the back part of this farm so I took a walk. I did find some oyster mushrooms so something good did happen. I also discovered my old rain gear is starting to fail a bit and one rubber boot started to leak as well. What pushed everything over the edge was when the ziplock holding my cell phone started to get moisture inside and my cell phone currently has a cracked back glass. I called it quits at 1:22pm. It rained steady until close to 6pm. My husband had been checking the field behind our house while I was gone. No turkeys seen there either.

I woke this morning up at 3:30am and the rain was back. At 5:30am it was 45 degrees and still raining. I stayed in bed. Today is day 4 of my 5 day turkey hunting vacation and so far the weather has adversely impacted 3 of those days. Some vacation. :rolleyes::mad:

Registered
No 2nd tag filled but what a last day of turkey season. I hunted my neighbor's farm. It's not quite a mile walk to the spot I wanted to set up at first light. I left the house around 4:30am and was all settled in at 5:06am. Two, maybe 3 birds were gobbling on the roost. But there is one gobbler I've been after off and on for 2 weeks and he is a gobbling gobbler. He was the closest to me and I ended up calling him in around 6:30-7am or thereabouts. He was probably 45+ yards at his closest I'm just not comfortable at that range with my 20 gauge so I passed. He circled around again around 8am but was a good 100 yards out that time. After that he moved out of ear shot. I sat until 10am and then did a mini run-and-gun loop through my neighbor's woods to the property line. Along the way I stopped in 3 different locations and at one of them I ate my lunch.

I worked back to the top of the loop where I started and picked a new location about 100 yards from my original set up. At 1pm the bird came back gobbling. He passed by at 60 yards going south to north, stopped and looked and looked for a hen, seeing none he kept going and then a short time later came back by at 80 yards moving north to south. To the south he met up with a hen and she came back my way passing by at the 80 yard path. She stopped behind a tree and I could see her but they weren't coming my way so I clucked two times very softly. Next thing I know, the hen does a 180掳 turn and runs away as fast as she can. Not sure what was up with that but 2 deer moved through 5 minutes later so maybe it was them and not me. Who knows? They moved over to the next property and eventually I heard the gobbler moving north again. I got up and moved parallel through the woods where I do have permission to hunt with the property where the gobbler was now located. The woods is super open there and I was not feeling my set up so after a couple hours I got up and started aimlessly wandering around the open woods trying to find a place to set up. LOL

4pm the tom starts gobbling again. He is still on the next property over but he is close. I rush to find spot to set up. At first I was directly across the fenceline from him but he ended up drifting up the fenceline further before crossing. When he crossed into my woodlot he was at 80 yards. He stood on a short rock pile, looked for the hen and seeing none he left directly and back to the neighboring property. This time he gobbled along as he headed back south.

I decided to head to the spot where the tom and then the tom and the hen had come through at 1pm. I'd also seen him walk this path at the 8am encounter. My plan was to not call at all. Perhaps he liked this spot so much he would just show back up here. And he did. At 5pm he gobbled about 100 yards and then directly moved away from me until I could no longer hear him.

By 6:40pm I hadn't heard him anymore and I was sick of not calling so I stood up and did some lost hen yelps for several minutes and sat back down. At 7:10 the tom gobbled so close behind me it made me jump. I don't think he saw me because there was thick brush behind me but the next time he gobbled he was 150 yards away and that was the last time I heard him gobble.

On my walk out I ran into a strutting tom following a hen in a newly planted field. I was able to get the tom to angle my way. I tried a shot but in hindsight it was really too far and he ran away. That was at 8:25pm. I got back to the house shortly before 9pm. That was one long day of turkey hunting!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts