Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Premium Member
Well here it is the night before opening day and it's a strange set of circumstances. Spring turkey is my favorite type of hunting. Work has been super busy and stressful. Last weekend I was scrambling to get some projects done around the house and it totally slipped my mind to shoot my shotgun to make sure my sights were still on. No problem I thought. I should be able to shoot at least one night during the week. Well the only day that ended up being workable was today, Friday. I got home from work and the wind has been gusting 30mph. Really no point in checking the pattern on the shotgun with those winds. Plus it's going to be below freezing tonight. AND tomorrow is the one dry day for me to mow lawn before rain moves back in on Sunday. AND I'm driving to visit my mom tomorrow afternoon so I have to mow in the morning. AND I'm still feeling pretty salty about moving opening day to Saturday. It just doesn't feel right. I think once I rest up after a stressful work week and get a few things done around the house, my mood will improve immensely. I'm planning to hunt Sunday if all goes as planned.
Good luck this season, looking forward to reading about your hunts馃檪

Registered
I was finally able to shoot my shotgun this morning. Getting some other chores done too. I'm still planning on hunting tomorrow.

Registered
How'd my morning go? Well I flushed a turkey off the roost while walking in in the dark. Very uncommon spot for them to roost. No others were around though. Then it started to rain and it wasn't supposed to. Fortunately didn't last long. Had a hen hang out for a couple hours within sight of me. Had to pee so bad I thought my bladder was going to rupture but I didn't want to spook her because I thought she made a nice live decoy. LOL Once when then hen was in the field 40 yards directly in front of me, a coyote came out of the woods 40 yards further out. The coyote kept going, turned the corner and ran past my husband at 20 yards. He took a running shot at it. I heard the coyote squeal when he shot. He said it was hurt bad but kept going into the woods out of sight. We looked a little bit for it later but didn't find it. Never heard a gobble all morning and that hen and the one I flushed out of the tree in the dark (which could have been the same one) were the only turkeys I saw all morning. This afternoon I found a pile of turkey feathers in the yard, 43 steps from the house. It wasn't there yesterday when I mowed the yard. Something had a meal. I saw 1 hen and 3 male turkeys (too far to tell if jakes or gobblers) in the back of our field around 6pm. I was mowing the pasture and then next time I looked they were gone so I don't know the direction they were traveling. I might go out tomorrow. 90% chance of rain so time will tell how I feel.

Registered
Back on the ridge for the first time since opener! Here we go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Back on the ridge for the first time since opener! Here we go

Good luck!!!! It's a pretty morning here although frosty. I have to work. :( LOL

Registered
And Holy Cow! I just went and looked at the entry. What a nice gobbler!! Now you have to tell the story. 馃榿

Registered
I didn't hear anything off roost... Was walking back out and heard this guy gobble like 4-500 yds away.. Like barely heard him, but I was on top of ridge. So I headed down where I thought he was and he quit Gobbling on me... I kept walking clear down to the bottom to the 4 wheeler path.. Hit a yelp and he gobbled 100yds away.. I threw Strutter decoy on path and jumped off side into some brush against log.. Hit him lightly with some purrs and yelps and he was on his way. I had camera rolling perfectly and he popped out and Strutted all the way to decoy in front of camera... Took his face off at like 10yds. And then I find out the camera was frozen.. It showed it was recording... But nope.. Nothin... I was happy and pissed! Lol

Registered
Great picture! I love those over the shoulder shots. Which reminds me, my husband took one of me like that on his phone and was supposed to send it to me and never did. LOL

Thanks for the story!!! Every time I read a turkey story, I am all smiles because I know how much fun the person who lived the story was having. Congrats again and great turkey!

Registered
The story of my turkey and the video are up on my blog. This is my first blog entry since the software update. I think I did it correctly. LOL

Registered
JTyler, congrats on your turkey. I missed the checkin by a day as it just slipped my mind. Happy you were able to fill out the team. Here is my bird, 22 lbs, 10.5 inch beard, 1 5/16 spurs.

Attachments

Registered
JTyler, congrats on your turkey. I missed the checkin by a day as it just slipped my mind. Happy you were able to fill out the team. Here is my bird, 22 lbs, 10.5 inch beard, 1 5/16 spurs.
Nice bird Mohican.... Yea.. I missed the whole sign ups... Lol. Glad to help your team out. I have youth hunts still to add. Just waiting because I'm pretty sure I can get at least one of my girls a bird still!

Registered
Right now.. It appears as though we are winning. The last update does not include my bird, and I'm the only one with a entry since then. Plus I have youth entry to do.... But I'm determined that one of them will shoot one still!

Registered
Right now.. It appears as though we are winning. The last update does not include my bird, and I'm the only one with a entry since then. Plus I have youth entry to do.... But I'm determined that one of them will shoot one still!

馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉馃槉

I have no youth to take. Maybe I could take mr bluedog on a hunt. His favorite saying is "you are only young once but you can act immature your whole life" so he is kind of "kid-like". Hahahahaha.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts