Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go!

Registered
Bluedog checking in! I'm a NE zone hunter so I won't be starting until May 1st. I'm looking forward to another spring of chasing turkeys and neglecting projects around the farm for the month of May. :) 馃槀

Registered
My Kentucky gobbler first morning
Congratulations!!!! Great warm up for Ohio. Maybe someday I'll have the time and ability to travel south for an early start to my spring turkey season. Great morning for you SZA!!!

Registered
If mohican don't check in.. I'd be happy to take his spot... Just saying!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I think we are the only team where everyone hasn't checked in yet.

Registered
If mohican don't check in.. I'd be happy to take his spot... Just saying!!

Our 3rd team member never checked in so JTyler welcome to the team. Probably should let Bawana know to make it official. I'm on it. :)

Registered
whoop whoop... On the board opening morning. I'll check him in later! 10in beard. 1 1/4 right and I think 1 in left. Broken..

Registered
Bawana messaged me and said I was good to be on Team! Can't believe I forgot to sign up originally. Haven't missed this contest in quite a few years!

Registered
Well crap... I'm so far behind this year.. Lol.He weighed 22lbs... But I didn't get picture with weight. I'll just have to shoot another one!

Registered
Congratulations teammate!!!! Yep, you'll just have to keep hunting. I'm sorry you have to keep turkey hunting. It's such a chore. LOL!!!! 馃槀 馃槀 馃槀

Registered
Sooo... Probably the best opening weekend I've ever had! My brother (in photo with me) flew up from Texas to hunt. His first time turkey hunting! We roosted 3 birds together Friday night! Was set up inside 100 yds well before sunup when I realized I had not changed my choke back to my turkey choke.... So my brother took the 20ga (with choke). I sat my gun on ground behind tree. I didn't plan to shoot anything because I was trying to video for him. Waited on them to start gobbling on there own. Gave acouple soft tree yelps and shut up. Right about fly down time, did a fly down cackle and we waited. 2 of the 3 birds flew down and was strutting at 65yds first thing. Can't get them to come all the way to the decoys. The hung up at 59 yds. One started down the back point away from us. I wasn't sure the capability of the 20ga that far. I told him If he was comfortable with it, Take it because there leaving. So he shot.... Feathers and birds running away. We ran up there and they was gone (miss?) I hit my call and they both blow up only 60 yds down the hill. We hit the deck. I leave him closer and I crawl back to tree I was on and stay calling.. No way...there coming back.. They both come walking back up. At one point they was 35 yds from my Brother, but he couldn't get a shot. They go far left past him.. Then circle back and to his right... But they just keep going right....and right...and right and then I realize... Crap.. There going to pop up behind me, and I don't even have my gun.. So I crawl around behind my tree and grab my gun, then around as 2 heads pop up at 18 yds. So I lay down the first bird! Upon examination after getting him, he's missing 3 trail feathers that my brother shot off when he missed 10 min earlier. All this before 730. Awesome start to 2021 season. We got in 2 more birds the rest of the day for him. 1 hung up about 80 yds... Then we bumped by mushroom hunters! Was super close to getting him one again Sunday but he couldn't get a shot. Alot of season left! I'll have my girls out maybe this weekend! GOOD LUCK YALL!!

Registered
Classic turkey hunting story!!! LOL It's always a clusterf***. And that right there is why turkey hunting is so much fun. 馃槀 馃槀 馃槀

Registered
Well here it is the night before opening day and it's a strange set of circumstances. Spring turkey is my favorite type of hunting. Work has been super busy and stressful. Last weekend I was scrambling to get some projects done around the house and it totally slipped my mind to shoot my shotgun to make sure my sights were still on. No problem I thought. I should be able to shoot at least one night during the week. Well the only day that ended up being workable was today, Friday. I got home from work and the wind has been gusting 30mph. Really no point in checking the pattern on the shotgun with those winds. Plus it's going to be below freezing tonight. AND tomorrow is the one dry day for me to mow lawn before rain moves back in on Sunday. AND I'm driving to visit my mom tomorrow afternoon so I have to mow in the morning. AND I'm still feeling pretty salty about moving opening day to Saturday. It just doesn't feel right. I think once I rest up after a stressful work week and get a few things done around the house, my mood will improve immensely. I'm planning to hunt Sunday if all goes as planned.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts