Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Good luck to everyone and lets be safe.

I will be doing some calling/guiding for some people, but have alot of time for myself. I will be hunting the WNF, Muskingham County, Ashland County, and Lorain County. Cant wait to get this thing rockin.

Will have the youth bonus as well.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Checking in. Will be hunting in Harrison , trumbull and Ashtabula. Only have 3 weeks to get er done. Will be in Mexico last week if season

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard mjd. Good luck. Really, giving up the last week of turk season for fun in the sun in Mexico??? Guess I have to give you that one. Send some pics of that monster gobbler, and from Mexico.......:bouncy:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm in

Consider me checked in. I will be hunting in Vinton Co on private land. Headed down to KY Friday night for start of KY season Saturday. Friend took youth hunter in KY near Lexington on bonus quota youth hunt. Turkeys went away from calls after gobbling their butts off on the roost. Killed their turkey by spotting and intercepting. Went to new spot in Northern KY and had 4 toms walk right into to decoys gobbling all the way. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, got 3 of us, just waiting for mercercounty hunter to check in, I am sure he will be along soon.

Have a great time in KY GoblinChimp, there are some really good birds there. Good luck and be ready to hang some Buckeye birds when you get back.

Any ideas for a team name???

Maybe Limbhangers or any other suggestions......

·
Registered
833 Posts
i'm here. sorry it took so long, didnt know teams were picked already. i will be hunting van wert, mercer and some auglaize counties. seen a few turkeys around, but not as many as last year. not as many birds in these parts and lots of competition, but they are here. hopefully i can knock one down.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Team 13 is all checked in. Good luck. Let me know if you have a name you want to use.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Team Name

Team name options: Gobblestoppers, Los Spurs (NBA-related), Poultry Poachers, or Beard Brothers. I could come up with more but figure this is enough. Beard Brothers is my least favorite.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Team 13 name

Alright, everyone is in, we need to pick a name. Really doesnt matter much to me, I like Limbhangers, but someone can pick whatever, and post it, first one in will be chosen, I guess.

I have a change of plans for the 1st week, but am getting several days to myself to hunt. Could be a little tougher than I thought it would be. I thought the first week or 2 would be really good, guess it is going to depend on what part of the state you are hunting.

Good luck to everyone, and be safe

·
Registered
661 Posts
Alright, everyone is in, we need to pick a name. Really doesnt matter much to me, I like Limbhangers, but someone can pick whatever, and post it, first one in will be chosen, I guess.

I have a change of plans for the 1st week, but am getting several days to myself to hunt. Could be a little tougher than I thought it would be. I thought the first week or 2 would be really good, guess it is going to depend on what part of the state you are hunting.

Good luck to everyone, and be safe
Limb hangers , hung like a limb, team gobble. Beard busters. It don't matter. Let's just win this thing lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
On the board guys called two in right off the roost. Seems around ten inches. Thought it had a double beard. But it was the wind parting it

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great. Make sure you post it on the contest thread. I am ready for a nap. Spent Sat. ,Sun, and this a.m. driving and hunting. Started in Muskingham and Coshocton, then headed for Ashland early this morning. Worked only a couple of birds, nothing down........YET.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My opening morning turkey ended up having a 10 1/4 beard with 1 inch spurs. It only took 3 yelps. And two toms came into the clover field in search of love. Instead they found some #5 copper in his head. The other tom seemed to have a slightly longer beard but skinny beard. This one had a thick beard that parted and I thought for sure it was gonna be a double bearded turkey. But oh well. Anyhow after the shot my buddy called. And I had him come over to my spot. It took 30 minutes and we called in 7 jakes. He took one of the jakes and we were back in the house by 8 am. Not a bad day for all the wind. I'll be back at it the beginning of may from all the scouting and driving around there seems to be a ton of birds in my area. I am having a new food plot cleared out with a sizer this week hopefully it won't push them very far. Good luck to the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little quiet on this team. Looks like 1 bird so far. I am just worn down. Started the youth weekend in Coshocton and Muskingham counties. Fought rain on Sat., came close 2 times, but the rain started back up and shut things down.

Similar things on Sunday, but once got taken by 2 hens, then got busted by some shroomers, must of been deaf.

Headed for some private ground in Ashland on Monday, and other then a couple of distant gobbles, the woods were quiet. Hunted my home county on Tuesday, thought this was going to be it.

Got a bird all worked up on the limb and watched him fly down into a field I had a decoy in. He gobbled, and gobbled, and gobbled some more as he slowly strutted his way toward me. At about 70 yrds, I clicked the safty off, and just waited. Then in the woods to my left, a DAMN hen starts cutting. He turned his attention to her, I started cutting, and he just slowly turns and struts his way toward her. Nothing the rest of the morning.

Yesterday, went back after the bird from Tuesday. He was roosted in the same spot, and had his lady friend with him. Game, set, and match.... I left after a while, and just started driving around, seeing a few birds in fields.

Slept in this morning, probly going out tomorrow, then looks like another trip down south for the weekend possibly.

Thank goodness for a week season.

·
Registered
833 Posts
nice job mjd, sounds like a nice bird. sounds like you got em dialed in fullstrut, just a matter of time.
i went out monday morning for a couple of hours and did not see or hear anything. really windy and that spot was hunted pretty hard during youth season. oh, well guess thats the way it is around here, not a ton of birds and the youth hunters get em all chased around before the season comes in . gonna go out probably sunday and monday and hopefully at least hear some birds to get on. working 3rd shift does not leave me much time to hunt during the week, i do not get home until 830. if i see some birds out i will go after em. i am also having a pole building put up this week so that is keeping me busy in the mornings. good lluck everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts