Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
FYI
I have looked up the times when I shot bucks out of the ravine stand...Mid morning is when they are on their feet looking for love.
10/28--11:20 Before time change By himself
11/8--11:00 After " " "
11/11--8:15 After " " " was following a doe and retraced his steps
11/20--10:15 After " " "
11/8--10:00 After time change Buck was following a doe and My hunting partner shot him.

Today 11/8/22--11:40 By himself

LOOKS LIKE THE 10--NOON TIME FRAME IS WHEN THEY ARE OUT LOOKING.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
FYI
I have looked up the times when I shot bucks out of the ravine stand...Mid morning is when they are on their feet looking for love.
10/28--11:20 Before time change By himself
11/8--11:00 After " " "
11/11--8:15 After " " " was following a doe and retraced his steps
11/20--10:15 After " " "
11/8--10:00 After time change Buck was following a doe and My hunting partner shot him.

Today 11/8/22--11:40 By himself

LOOKS LIKE THE 10--NOON TIME FRAME IS WHEN THEY ARE OUT LOOKING.
I am finding the same thing in my area.
11/4/22 saw a small buck following two does at 10 am before the time change
11/6/21 shot my buck at 11 am before the time change
11/3/20 shot a buck at 1115 before the time change

·
2,123 Posts
I took tomorrow and Friday off work. Im headed to another piece of public land I haven’t hunted in a few years. I quit hunting it because of the pressure. I hunted aep recreation lands last week and didn’t see one deer in two days so I think I’ll try somewhere different. Of course now it looks like 1-2” rain on Friday.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I took tomorrow and Friday off work. Im headed to another piece of public land I haven’t hunted in a few years. I quit hunting it because of the pressure. I hunted aep recreation lands last week and didn’t see one deer in two days so I think I’ll try somewhere different. Of course now it looks like 1-2” rain on Friday.
Good Luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was out the last two nights, saw the same little button buck both nights and Tuesday saw a young 6pt who could be decent in a few years. I have not seen the first doe during any of my last sits, which is strange as I usually see far more does than bucks. Might try tomorrow morning, but they are calling for LOTS of rain...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had a dandy 3.5 year old 30 yards from me today but couldn’t get a clean shot on him. 10 point and probably 145 or 150 inches. Saw two spikes and two does also. All after 10 am. Buck at 1140 and does at 1 pm. I am doing the 9 am to 2 o’clock shift tomorrow like you Steve.

·
2,123 Posts
I hunted all day Thursday before Fridays rain. Hunted public property that I haven’t hunted in 4 years. Saw more trucks from out of state then I did deer. Saw trucks from New York, mich, New Jersey and North Carolina. Went to one parking lot and there was not another vehicle in it. I thought to myself great I have this whole place to myself. I gathered my gear and climber and hiked about a mile back. I was hunting a valley where I’ve killed deer before. As i got to the bottom I heard a whistle. I looked up on the opposite side and there was a guy in a climber. I waved at him and walked to another spot. By then it was around 745 before I got up in a tree. Hunted til 1130 and didn’t see anything. Ate a quick lunch then decided to go to a different spot. Didn’t see anything there until about 5. Two nice bucks were chasing a doe through the woods. They came through once running and never saw them again. I won’t be able to get out again until next Friday.

Reactions: steveOh

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Got in the stand at 9:15, 15 minutes later a doe comes around the point to my left and I see another deer following her. Game on I tell myself, I ready my crossbow and prepare for a shot. As the second deer quickly gets closer I make out a glimpse of antler. Upon closer inspection I see that it is a young buck with a 6-8 point basket rack! They both eventually cross the bottom of the ravine upwind to my left and make their way up the hillside behind me.

Minutes later another deer appears along the same route that the two previous traveled. Again I readied my crossbow anticipating a bigger buck.. As it quickly traversed diagonally down the honeysuckled hillside I again see antlers, and again it was yet another basket racked buck!!! He crosses the bottom of the ravine below me and to my right and as he starts up the hill he locks up, hesitates then retraces his steps. He probably caught my wind.l

I stuck around until 2 hoping that the young bucks would stir things up, but that was all the action!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts