Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

2,132 Posts
Welcome back team! Let’s win this again. I’m in the process of finding somewhere to hunt. I didn’t get drawn for anywhere to hunt until January. Gide luck guys.

2,132 Posts
I hunted three days last week. I only have public property to hunt this year and it’s a hour and half drive one way so I make a full day if it. Only saw a couple does and a small 6 point. Did see some fresh rubs and scrapes. Coming back home I did see four dead bucks along 70. It’s starting to get good.

2,132 Posts
Hunted from 9 am to 645 pm today in public property. Only saw one chipmunk at 610pm. Didn’t see a bird until 605. Unless I get private property to hunt next year I believe this will be the last year i deer hunt.

Reactions: steveOh

2,132 Posts
Last two days did morning to dusk hunts. Didn’t see one deer. Saw plenty of fresh rubs and scrapes. I’m off Monday Thursday and Friday next week and plan on going out.

2,132 Posts
I took tomorrow and Friday off work. Im headed to another piece of public land I haven’t hunted in a few years. I quit hunting it because of the pressure. I hunted aep recreation lands last week and didn’t see one deer in two days so I think I’ll try somewhere different. Of course now it looks like 1-2” rain on Friday.

2,132 Posts
I hunted all day Thursday before Fridays rain. Hunted public property that I haven’t hunted in 4 years. Saw more trucks from out of state then I did deer. Saw trucks from New York, mich, New Jersey and North Carolina. Went to one parking lot and there was not another vehicle in it. I thought to myself great I have this whole place to myself. I gathered my gear and climber and hiked about a mile back. I was hunting a valley where I’ve killed deer before. As i got to the bottom I heard a whistle. I looked up on the opposite side and there was a guy in a climber. I waved at him and walked to another spot. By then it was around 745 before I got up in a tree. Hunted til 1130 and didn’t see anything. Ate a quick lunch then decided to go to a different spot. Didn’t see anything there until about 5. Two nice bucks were chasing a doe through the woods. They came through once running and never saw them again. I won’t be able to get out again until next Friday.

2,132 Posts
I’m headed out tomorrow. Going to hunt public again. If he happy ti get a doe within bow range.

2,132 Posts
Way to go steve! Looks like a nice one. Looking forward to the story.
I went to southeast ohio this morning and was surprised to see a little snow on the ground. I dropped down a steep hill and hunted a valley. The ground, leaves and snow was frozen and was extra crunchy. I got in my climber around 6:45. Around 9:45 I heard a loud crunching sound coming from the hill behind me. I turned to my left and saw a doe by herself coming down the hill toward me. With the loud crunching and snow on the ground she really stood out. She got on a trail and came about 8 yards from me. After verifying no buck was trailing her I took the shot. Hit her right where I wanted to. She ran about halfway back the hill and started walking. She got about 35 yards away and started staggering. She then fell forward and rolled down the hill. Took me about an hour to drag her up the hill I came down. Real big old nanny. I’ll enter her tomorrow.

2,132 Posts
I’m out hunting today thru Wednesday and then this weekend. One guy in our group got a nice doe this morning. I haven’t seen anything yet. Can’t beat this weather.

2,132 Posts
Congrats Mclays! I’m still at it. We just did a mini drive. Jumped up 4 does but no shots. My brother did take a doe this morning. Only deer I’ve seen the last two days. Starting to get windy here

2,132 Posts
Took a doe this afternoon. I’m going to hold off entering her because I’m still going to hunt. Looking for a buck now. Good luck anyone still at it!

2,132 Posts
I can’t Saturday but plan on getting out Sunday. Where I’m hunting Sunday it’s bow only. Still have to wear orange but bow only.

2,132 Posts
I’m going out Saturday but not Sunday. Hoping for a nice buck. I might be done for the year either way after Saturday. Good luck everyone still hunting.

2,132 Posts
Congrats! Way to stay at it jim. I haven’t been out since the extra gun weekend. I think I’m done for the year. I have two does in the freezer and that’s all I need.

2,132 Posts
I haven’t hunted for some time now. Looking at the scoreboard it doesn’t look good for team 1. Either way you guys been a great team. Good luck in your future hunts!

2,132 Posts
Congrats mclay! I have a fir I need to enter yet. I was waiting to see if it would matter. I still might enter it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts