Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
2,076 Posts
Well we’re finally on the board. I got a doe this morning. I’ll enter her tomorrow. I’ll be out the rest of the week. Holding out for a buck now. When I dropped her off at the processors at 9 am they had already had 11 deer dropped off and 8 of them were bucks. It’s that time.

Reactions: steveOh

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Out until 12:45 this morning. About 11:30 I had one yearling come around the point and cross below me on the opposite hillside. While it went off to my right a bid doe blew way up on the opposite hillside. The wind was swirling at the time.....back at it in the morning....good luck to all...

·
2,076 Posts
I hunted this morning and only saw one buck. He was moving quick and didn’t get a good look at his antlers. Heard another grunting but never saw him. I tried grunting him in but it helps to have the reed in your call to do that. I finally found my reed in my Fanny pack.
I hunted this afternoon but the west wind was blowing a lot harder than the weather forecast said. Finally about 530 it died down. Only saw one deer a big bodied but small rack 7 pointer. He was only 15 yards away but I gave him a pass. Going to keep at it til Friday then take the weekend off.

Reactions: steveOh

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I just checked the predicted wind conditions for the next two days, looks like east winds! I can`t hunt the ravine stand with east winds. Would be a great wind for the property that I lost this year!!! Looks like I'll be sleeping in the next couple mornings...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just checked the predicted wind conditions for the next two days, looks like east winds! I can`t hunt the ravine stand with east winds. Would be a great wind for the property that I lost this year!!! Looks like I'll be sleeping in the next couple mornings...
I'd at least drive out there, it claimed west winds the last two days for me and it was more of a north east both days. The weather people are garbage

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,026 Posts
Howdy! I’ve been out a couple times but haven’t seen anything other than does. Leaving for Florida Saturday so I won’t be Hunting until late October. Going to Tar Hollow weekend of October 29th. I also have the week of November 8 off.
Good luck Jim!!!

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Hunted until 3 today....finally seen some movement. Had two bucks cruise by together about 11:30. They ignored my grunts. There was a small spike wandering around lightly grunting. Also 2 yearlings and a lone doe early this morning..

Good Luck To All...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Here’s how it happened. Got in my stand about 815 because I don’t like crossing the field in the dark and spooking deer. Sit there until 1030 and saw nothing while my buddy in the north field saw about 30 different deer. Was thinking about leaving at 11 but decided to stay till 1230. About 1045 I heard a doe bleat off to my right. 15 minutes later I saw a buck cross the ridge slightly to my right, then go towards the field in some thick stuff. 30 seconds later I see a doe run out into the field with two bucks chasing it. The doe and the bigger buck started to go north away from me and then the doe circled and headed south very quickly. The doe sprinted by me with the buck following. I was already turned around in my tree stand ready. The buck came by at thirty yards moving quickly so I made a very loud mouth bleat. He stopped but was behind a fork tree that was 10 yards in front of me. He then took 1 step and I let my arrow fly between the two forks in the tree. He jumped and took off. Thought I heard him crash but I waited 30 minutes before very slowly and quietly walking in the field to point of impact. Found blood right where I shot him and then slowly walked the trail he took for about 20 yards. There was tons of blood but I decided to wait another 30 minutes because it wasn’t a pass thru. When I shot him he was angling away so I aimed for the back of his rib cage. After tracking him I found him about 100 yards from the point of impact dead. Arrow was sticking out slightly about 2 inches behind his rib cage. After field dressing him I found that the arrow had hit his heart.

Not a giant but my first compound bow kill. I am extremely stoked for sure and feel very blessed
Plant Plant community Automotive tire Wood Natural landscape

Face Elk Eye Plant Hunting

Hunting Deer hunting Plant Trophy hunting Deer

Hunting Plant Working animal Fawn Wildlife biologist

41 - 60 of 111 Posts