Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
All the teaching tapes will help you get started , but you get your own style. Check out huntsmart.com. It's the Nite lite company.;)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Carpwarrior......Real Turkeys 1,2,3,&4 are actual recorded sounds made by hens and gobblers in the wild. Produced by Biologist Lovell Williams, it covers all turkey calls Spring and Fall.

Tapes won't tell much on HOW to hunt, but you need to be able to duplicate the basic calls and the best way to do this is by listening and then repeating the calls with your call of choice. I learned calling with a diaphram to and from work and listening to those tapes. For sure, an excellent way to practice without driving the family nuts!!! I bought the tapes years ago thru a magazine add and can't say if they're still available today!...TF

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the basic down, with how to locate, i use a power crow call,or reed owl call and i have been able to set up on some but i could not pull the hole act to gether, i can get those gobblers to talk to me but i cant get them to come in to eye site, i have 6 read calls and box calls and push pull calls like the fightin pure,and 3 difernt slate calls hell i have about 130.00 in calls , i can always find turkeys but i am lacking something, every thing i know about turkey huntin i learned from a tape or video, i think i need to just see an seasoned turkey hunter at work to finally get one after 2 years

·
Registered
806 Posts
Experience

Decoys won't solve your problem, especially if you aren't seeing the birds. Calling in and killing turkeys is about 20% calling, and 80% understanding turkey habits. The best calling in the world won't bring in a tom if he doesn't want to be there. Most of the birds I call in are brought in with no more than soft clucks and purrs, after I've located and/or got them fired up. Sometimes it takes aggresive calling, but all situations are a little different. As you mentioned, going out with a seasoned turkey hunter will help tremendously, but you can also learn a lot yourself by going out before season and calling to as many turkeys as you can find. They are much less call shy before season, and this could be a big part of your problem, especially if your hunting public or heavily hunted private land. I usually start going out to the local state park and calling around the beginning of March, but with the weather, things are a little behind this year. I would suspect you should be able to hear some gobbles this weekend. Prime calling will be around the first few weeks of April. By the time our season comes in this year, the birds are going to be tough to pull from the hens, so get out before season to get a lot of practice. I always take the camcorder, and have gotten some great footage. With the seasons coming in so late the last few years, it's usually more fun than hunting them. And don't feel bad about not getting one after two years. Many people wait a lot longer than that. Turkey hunting will humble anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Last year I was lucky enough to call in four toms within a half hour of each other...in groups of two. I also used just soft clucks and in they came. I didn't hardly call at all..I think that's what I have learned from experience...as I've never hunted with an experienced turkey hunter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Knight & Hale just came out with a brand new video tape on learning to use the mouth calls. Along with some actual turkey hunts thrown in!! Walter Parrot and Chris Parrish do the narrating on this tape!! Very well done!!;)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Also carpwarrior try calling into your recorder on the puter here and play it back so you can hear yourself and work on your calling techinques it really helps out i think.Help me i hope

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
GO to an ODNR turkey hunting class. They give a good cassette tape with all kinds of calling on it with different types of calls. I listen to it most of april driving back and forth to work every year, just because.... The classes are top notch and I would recommend them to any 1st to 3rd year hunter or any one who's having troubles even getting close.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
ODNR class

They usually start with them in March and run through April. A lot of sportsmans clubs and such will sponsor them. It's a one day session. I'll see if I can find schedules for them anywhere and if I do I'll post it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts