Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to the Tappan Lake area a year ago and am bound and determined to take my first deer with a bow on the public land here. I have been out several times near the dam off 250 but have only managed to bump a small buck walking in. Anyone have some rookie advice on where they are all hiding now?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
At this point in the season it gets tougher with a bow. On public land I like to take mine early before they get pressured or during the rut when they make mistakes. Gun season will further pressure them. Best bet with a bow on public now is find the food sources and set up on them. Must be near good bedding cover as well as they tend not to travel much. Good luck. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for answering and Happy Thanksgiving!
Agreed and no joke. I am learning this first hand. I made it out this morning. I used what I have learned from my last 3 hunts in this spot near my house along with some e-scouting to come up with a plan last night. I picked a spot where I bumped a small buck last weekend. I also found a ton of rubs and scrapes in this same area. I was in the woods while it was still dark an hour before sunrise which was freaky but fun. I saw a bunch of reflective tacks leading to what I think was another hunter spot. I left it alone out of respect and pushed on to my chosen spot. I ground hunted in some think brush near what looked like a bedding area with a south wind in my face across a small saddle on the down-wind side. In the dark I could just barely make out the visible path that deer may have taken to cross this area near some red-oaks. I sat there from sun up until about 8:30am without seeing or hearing a damn thing. I could not sit longer since I had to be back to "help" get ready for Turkey day. On my way out I must have bumped something on the other side of the hill about 300 yards to the south west. Never did see it and it took everything not to go after it so I took my butt whipping and went home empty handed.

I have attached a pic of my OnX map with my notes. Red markers are deer sign like rubs, scrapes and bedding. Yellow are terrain features I feel match what I have read about topography like edges, saddles and benches. Black is where I have tried hunting so far and purple are potential spots I may try in the future. I am not worried about sharing this since I have not had any luck and it is public land so anyone that wants to give this area a shot, please do and if you arrow a deer please let me know so I know what I did wrong! lol.

Map Ecoregion World Terrestrial plant Screenshot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must have a rookie curse or something. My nephew in-law let me sit in his spot on private land over a feeder and I did not see anything except chipmunks and birds. I was so still a bird landed right next to me. From 3pm to 5:30pm not one deer. From what I understand that is a great spot with deer there all the time. I keep all my clothes separate, wash them in scent free detergent, I shower with scent free soap, I changed outside the truck before going in. The wind was pretty strong out of the west and I was on the down wind side of the plot. I guess it was just a rookie curse...LOL

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I must have a rookie curse or something. My nephew in-law let me sit in his spot on private land over a feeder and I did not see anything except chipmunks and birds. I was so still a bird landed right next to me. From 3pm to 5:30pm not one deer. From what I understand that is a great spot with deer there all the time. I keep all my clothes separate, wash them in scent free detergent, I shower with scent free soap, I changed outside the truck before going in. The wind was pretty strong out of the west and I was on the down wind side of the plot. I guess it was just a rookie curse...LOL
Weather and other factors effect feeding times, if your just trying to shoot a deer, setting up a few consecutive hunts over food (with good exit/entry routes as not to spook deer) will usually help.....gun season is Monday, so that would extend your range if you choose to do so and are proficient.....it is hunting after all...your not guaranteed anything other than a good experience in the woods

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weather and other factors effect feeding times, if your just trying to shoot a deer, setting up a few consecutive hunts over food (with good exit/entry routes as not to spook deer) will usually help.....gun season is Monday, so that would extend your range if you choose to do so and are proficient.....it is hunting after all...your not guaranteed anything other than a good experience in the woods
Thank you and well said! No doubt I am loving every minute of it and am grateful for the opportunity as this is all new to me. No gun for me this year, I just ordered some wild edge steps and will hopefully have them ready to go for the following week. Time spent outdoors is therapeutic even if I get skunked. Odds are I will end up in front of, or above a deer sooner or later. So for now I am taking it all in and learning as I go.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Thank you and well said! No doubt I am loving every minute of it and am grateful for the opportunity as this is all new to me. No gun for me this year, I just ordered some wild edge steps and will hopefully have them ready to go for the following week. Time spent outdoors is therapeutic even if I get skunked. Odds are I will end up in front of, or above a deer sooner or later. So for now I am taking it all in and learning as I go.
Ok, just remember your orange if your bowhunting during any gun season...have fun, good luck

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
There are no deer in Harrison county. Tell everyone that lives north of US30 this

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
There are no deer in Harrison county. Tell everyone that lives north of US30 this
What I find interesting is most who live in rich deer population areas still feel the need to travel south but most I think do it as they have a deer camp tradition to keep up with so deer or no deer toker I think you will have a whole lotta orange showing up in your neck of the woods

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My two cents for what it’s worth: scout, scout, scout; get to know the property so well you can navigate in the dark. Wind, wind, wind; get to know how the wind travels over and through the property. Scent control is accomplished by scouting and playing the wind so save you money and time on attempting to eliminate your scent because you will never, never, ever defeat a deers nose. It can’t be done. Yes, you may cut down on your scent and fool a deer into thinking you are further away than you are but a deer will still smell you. Some deer don’t care too much about human scent and others are in the next time zone at the slightest hint of human scent.
So to recap, know where the deer are and how they use the area and, perhaps most important, why they use it the way they do. This takes a long time. Every year I learn new things about the places I hunt.
Have fun out there.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
I think that I’ve already killed cuz I live here and most city hunters I’ve ever ran into have a typical NE OHIO accent and very few real hunting skills

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My two cents for what it’s worth: scout, scout, scout; get to know the property so well you can navigate in the dark. Wind, wind, wind; get to know how the wind travels over and through the property. Scent control is accomplished by scouting and playing the wind so save you money and time on attempting to eliminate your scent because you will never, never, ever defeat a deers nose. It can’t be done. Yes, you may cut down on your scent and fool a deer into thinking you are further away than you are but a deer will still smell you. Some deer don’t care too much about human scent and others are in the next time zone at the slightest hint of human scent.
So to recap, know where the deer are and how they use the area and, perhaps most important, why they use it the way they do. This takes a long time. Every year I learn new things about the places I hunt.
Have fun out there.
good advice. Thank you. I was out scouting today. Found quite a bit of sign and definitely logged some time. The areas I was in today were thick and almost impossible to move through quietly. Not only that it was very hilly. It would definitely be a challenge to navigate at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that I’ve already killed cuz I live here and most city hunters I’ve ever ran into have a typical NE OHIO accent and very few real hunting skills
I spent quite a bit of time living in South Florida and the 1st thing people noticed was my NE Ohio accent! I never realized there was one until I "re"re-located back to Ohio. As for hunting skills, I am developing those as we speak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts