Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just thinking how lucky I am to still be mining coal right now. It seems to be a to frequent thing to hear mines closing down every week now here in wv. I guess all I'm saying is support the mines in any way u can. Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
my dad and brother were coal miners...and many of my friends were too ...wilksville ohio area...mines are closed now...but theres a new one in trimble...or glouster area...:D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
my dad and brother were coal miners...and many of my friends were too ...wilksville ohio area...mines are closed now...but theres a new one in trimble...or glouster area...:D
Yes there is Coonie I make the block my work sales to them they order 2/4 semi loads a week!!!!! And for that I'd like to say THANK U MINERS for Ur hard work and dedication to get that black gold!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, there are just way to many people out there that don't understand what kind of impact there will be on the economy if there were no coal mines. The effect isn't going to be just local it will be everywere.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My father and Grand Father both worked for Jeffrey's in Columbus. That once great company manufactured mining equipment. I feel your pain. Our energy dept has turned their backs on the people in that industry. If you have the time, Google search Dr. Dennis Chu, (He's the head of the U.S. Energy Dept). He's on YouTube as well. his policies are outlined in both of those web locations.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
171 Posts
I run a company that specializes in corrosion protection for coal fired power plants. The Obama Administrations war on coal is leaving thousands of people concerned about our future.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I run a company that specializes in corrosion protection for coal fired power plants. The Obama Administrations war on coal is leaving thousands of people concerned about our future.
If they continue on path they are on, you won't have a future. The EPA and high corporate taxes have moved once great companies out of the country. Our corporate tax rate is the highest in the world and climbing. If you think other countries care more about air quality and pollution, you are mistaken. It's absolutely foolish to ship pollution problems to another part of the world and then pat yourself on the back because you've done such a good job. We live in one Eco system world wide. Look at the junk from the Japan earthquate washing up on the west coast beaches. It's past time to wake up to these issues. Most of what we are currently seeing is driven by large tree hugger donors peddling influence in Washington.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
7,173 Posts
Environmentalists can't make up their minds. They didn't like coal, thought
NG was better. Now they don't like the hydraulic fracturing needed to get the gas out of the ground. :coco:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Makes me wonder what happened to all those "UMWA for Obama" bumper stickers I saw in 2008. Now all I see are "Stop the War on Coal, Fire Obama." The irony is thick as nickles.

·
Banned
624 Posts
If we go with Romney's recently announced energy plan, there will be LOTS of coal mining jobs. Lots and lots... needed to replace those killed by relaxed safety rules. What's a cave-in or two if we can get and burn cheap coal?

Then... when the towns downstream from the mines start giving birth to defective children, we can thank Mr. Romney for all the great but even more dangerous jobs that he helped create along with all their unregulated consequences.

When the skies over Pittsburgh look like Bejing again, we can be proud that the free burning of coal has helped create almost as many jobs as it has sick people.

Of course, Romney and his friends will make a fortune from deregulated coal... but the miners won't see a penny more as the Unions get busted under Romney and they go back to working for the company store.

Romney claimed in 1994 that he could do more to help the Gay/Lesbian movement than Ted Kennedy could. A few months ago he told the NAACP that he was the best choice to help African-Americans. Neither of those groups believe him, so why should the miners?

·
Banned
624 Posts
Now all I see are "Stop the War on Coal, Fire Obama."
You can pretend that there really is some kind of war going on against coal, but a recent article over at The Christian Science Monitor claims that the biggest problem that coal has is the new abundance of natural gas from the fracking.

Gas is cheaper and cleaner and in an open marketplace is simply becoming a better buy than coal.

You can blame the President, Congress, or my dog for all the difference it will make. Unless you want the government to prop up the coal industry, it will just have to figure a way to compete against other resources without screwing up the health or living space of those who work in or support the mines.

(Hint: now would be a good time for a DARPA contest to see if someone can come up with a way to use the energy in coal more efficiently and cleaner than the current centuries old methods.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts