Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seemed like a good time to have some homemade stuffed bell peppers again. I changed up the recipe just a little using brown rice instead of white, parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella, & adding some chopped mild green chilies to BAM!! KICK IT UP A NOTCH!!

I have never had ciabatta bread before &, when I saw it in the store the other day, decided to try it with the peppers.

Topped off with an icy cold glass of Lambrusco, it was a really good meal. The bread was OK but nothing special while the changes to the original recipe were just right.

Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

4 large bell peppers (any color)

1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef

2 tablespoons chopped onion

1 cup cooked rice

1 teaspoon salt

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 oz)

Process
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.
  1. Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight. In 4-quart Dutch oven add enough water to cover peppers. Heat to boiling; add peppers. Cook about 2 minutes; drain.
  1. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; cook until hot.
  1. Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
  1. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
NOTE: Not sure why they said to use a Dutch oven, a large pot worked just fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One of my favorite dishes - and yours look awesome!

Years ago I mentioned to my mom how much I liked her stuffed peppers. Seemed like they would always turn up on the menu when I came to visit. ;) When I took my soon-to-be wife to meet her I told her "Bet we have stuffed peppers for dinner" - and I was right. My wife remembered this and we have them regularly.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my favorite dishes - and yours look awesome!

Years ago I mentioned to my mom how much I liked her stuff peppers. Seemed like they would always turn up on the menu when I came to visit. ;) When I took my soon-to-be wife to meet her I told her "Bet we have stuffed peppers for dinner" - and I was right. My wife remembered this and we have them regularly.
Thx. When I was growing up, Dad used to make them with all fresh veggies from the garden. The only things store bought were the rice, burger & cheese. He even made the tomato sauce. Mine are good but his were even better!

Reactions: profdlp
1 - 6 of 6 Posts