Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Strong Thunderstorm with Really High Winds.

875 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
Last Saturday late afternoon, 05/21/2022, we had a really bad storm come through the area with a quick spin-up being spotted just south of my place maybe a couple of miles. There was a lot of thunder but I didn't notice much lightening. I haven’t seen winds this strong since I left Florida & those winds were related to hurricanes. It was pretty scary & I expected the worst damage wise.

I lost 2 huge pine trees on the south end of my west windbreak. They literally fell inches from the road. I went out Sunday morning & cleaned up the road as well as trimming back the limbs that were right on the edge of the road. Luckily, there was no other damage that I could see. I was surprised that I got only 1 1/10” of rain & it has all been absorbed.

Sky Plant Cloud Branch Larch

Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Larch

Plant Sky Cloud Evergreen Tree

Plant Cloud Sky Branch Natural landscape

Plant Tree Twig Sky Wood

I also lost a large dead pine which took out another small live pine in the middle of my east windbreak. I had been working on taking it down & had cut a large wedge near the base so it would fall where I wanted it. Of course the wind caused it to fall in exactly the opposite direction.

Plant Natural landscape Twig Trunk Wood

Plant Twig Trunk Terrestrial plant Wood

Plant Wood Tree Branch Natural landscape

Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Twig Wood

My neighbor called Sunday afternoon to let me know they would be out to clean up the trees. I talked with him today & told him there was no hurry just whenever he had time. I did get the dead tree taken care of myself Monday afternoon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thx. I'm not doing any of the cleanup. I thought at 1st I would until I looked at the size. My neighbor is going to take care of it for me. A friend a couple of miles south of me lost a large section of 1 of his barns. I'm sure there is more, but that's the only structural damage I have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.