Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few bows that have the finish coming off and I want to redo them. What kind of stripper can I use to get the old finish off without hurting the bow(recurves)?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey des. I build Bows, long and Recurve, when I need to remove the finish I just use a sponge block with about 100 grit sand paper wrapped around it to get the most off then switch to 120, then 150 grit to finish
Use Minwax polyurthane in the spray can, I have tried all kinds, its the eaisest and best way to refinish, don't over spray, 2 very light coats because the finish will break up when the bow is flexed. the only reason to spray the glass parts is for a finish but the exposed sides need to be covered so moisture can't get in the wood and it would swell and crack the glass, saw it happen when a guy didn't cover that area between the Glass
Steve Ypsi

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
there is a guy on ebay called bow doc...he has some good ideas and i beleeve you can go to the ben pearson site and it has tips...i basically do as steve does...i don't think i'd try stripper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts