Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not shaking a beehive here but I wanted to point out something I've experienced, and it sounds like other guys have experienced,too. I've read a couple of threads and posts in which someone has shared the name or location of a fishing spot on a smaller stream. And other posts where someone mentions a time when they shared a spot on the internet and it got cleaned out. I've done it myself and it didn't turn out well.
Point being it's easy to get friendly in this type of forum and want to help someone out by sharing some info or a spot on a stream. While trying to be helpful, it's easy to forget how many people are actually viewing this info and the effect that it might have on fishing pressure. It's different with large lakes and even larger rivers, but most guys will tell you that they've seen firsthand how quickly a group of guys can ruin sections of a stream. It's just awful easy for some slob who doesn't give two hoots about regulations or conservation to perform a search on the web and be directed to conversations on where the good spots are on a paricular stream. Most streams in Ohio can't handle the kind of pressure that internet advertising brings along.
Obviously, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and to write whatever they want to and share as much info as they like. It's just one of those things that I never made the connection on until someone brought it up to me in the past. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there for each person's own consideration.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dont think I would share a sweet spot in writing on a post! But I might do this in a pm! As far as my smallie spots! NO WAY!!!! There few and far between around here! I do know what you mean by your post though! Glenn

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I don't mind taking people to some of my spots. But just speak in general when talking about your spots and nobody is the wiser.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It is a fine line you got to walk, you dont want to give out so much info people can find your spots..Now if most practiced catch and release it would not be such a big issue.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
good point andy...i believe i made the mistake of advertising one of my favorite public area hunting spots on the computer...now if i was a guide and advertising that spot i'd be rich...i ruined my spot for nothing...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree 100% Andy, sections of water can be laid to waste in very short order if guys that dont care get wind of where these spots are, if I became friendly with a person and felt we seen eye to eye on catch and release then I wouldnt have a problem with sharing info in the form of a PM...but not in a public forum, other people feel differently...I cant see how a guy would want to share his sweet spots with 100s of people???

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
and the next guy brings a freind and that freind brings a freind,just like you did...it never stops...i'm more concerned about this more in huntin then fishin...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts