close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Strange but true

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by LakeRaider, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Down south at the fish breeding ponds the farmers hang a dead animal carcus over the water. As the animal rots the flys lay there eggs which turn into maggots which fall into the water and feed the fish. I saw this in Alabama at a hybrid bluegill farm. It was amazing the amount of maggots hitting the water. The carcus looked like it was moving there were so many maggots. There was hardley any smell. LakeRaider:""

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. I have seen that in a book. You can do that in a cove somewhere to draw smaller fish and catfish. It's in the In-Fisherman Catfish book.:p

3. A friend did that over his pond. In 3 years, his bass are his bass are 3-4 lbs.

4. there is a pond in Indiana I fish that used to lay carp on an old goose stand thingy that had mesh for a bottom. Maggots would fall to the water. Could always catch a good bass there.

Bill

5. Saw it in nature

This was at Paint Creek last Dec. We figured the deer fell off one of the cliffs then was washed onto the tree in high water.
    Someone mentioned to me that it would attract crappies as it rots with the maggots. First time I had ever heard that. Now we'll know all of LakeRaiders secret spots, look for roadkill !!
    [​IMG]

6. Well for you guys that wondered what we can do with the bow fished carp. I see how putting carp in the fall'in trees will help the fish.;) :D :D :D

7. Ðe§perado™

:D You like to stir the pot so-to-speak !!;) :eek:
    It is a good idea, I would try some road kill or something myself, but I sure don't want to smell it while fishing !!

8. On one of the ponds I fish I had permission to feed them in this way! I used one of those laundry bags, I put my roadkill in it and hang it right above the water line, off of the dock. Ive also seen it where they took a basket( laundry) that had 3 legs on it! Just sit it on the bank right above the water! It will feed the fish nicely! Id advise not feeding them alot or they might get used to it in a hurry! Glenn