Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a hard time with patterning my Stoeger M2000, tryed everything before finally figuring it out!!!! Here are my patterns with a HS Strut UnderTaker® High-Density Turkey Choke and Federal Premium Flitecontrol Wad 12GA 3" 2OZ #4 Shot on RT Top at 25 yards Bottom at 40 yards and LT is #5 Shot at 25 yards on 8" targets. Please tell me your thoughts and issues

2012-04-15 Patterns.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Looks good. Bottom will kill a bird but I would like more Shot in the target at 40 yds.
The bird I killed yesterday in VA was around 40 yds. I hit low on him, from the beard up to base of neck. I couldn't believe how much blood was splattered off of him. Even at that distance. I get a pretty good pattern at 40 yds with my Charles Dailey and comp n choke. Never the less, I think you will do fine. Good luck

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
5,040 Posts
I think your undertaker is a ported choke tube, Federal doesn't recommend using ported tubes with their flight control wads, the porting tends to grab the pedals on the flight control wads. If your using a HD choke are you shooting the heavyweight federals? If so I'd go to at least 6 or 7 shot. I'm using #7 heavyweights in 3 1/2 inch with a Carlson's .660 non ported tube. I get about 160-175 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. The heavyweights have just flat out hammered every bird I've hit with them in the last few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of shot gun are you using, a M2000? I did try #6 shot, did not even leave a hit. I know they say not to use the ported choke with it, but that is the best pattern I got out of the gun. Does anyone use a M2000 who is happy with it?

·
Banned
955 Posts
Shoot your pattern (40 yards and then again at 25) at a large piece of paper and then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of the pattern. Most turkey hunters feel one needs a minimum of 100 pellets inside a 10" circle at their desired distance to cleanly kill a turkey.

Personally, #4 don't have enough pellets in the shell to give you a very dense pattern. If shooting lead I like 6's. If shooting hevi shot or federal heavy weights I like #7's. A 3" 2oz load of hevi 7's has over 500 pellets in the shell. My 12ga Benelli with a truglo ssx will put anywhere from 270-300 shots inside a 10" circle at 40ds depending on the weather/temp.

Once you go with the 7's you will never go back. My 20ga with federal heavy weight 7's will put 160-180 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40.

Try the 7's.........I think you will be pleased. Some people say the 7's don't have enough killing power....if you keep the shots to 40-45 yards and under they carry plenty of energy.

·
5,040 Posts
shoot your pattern (40 yards and then again at 25) at a large piece of paper and then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of the pattern. Most turkey hunters feel one needs a minimum of 100 pellets inside a 10" circle at their desired distance to cleanly kill a turkey.

Personally, #4 don't have enough pellets in the shell to give you a very dense pattern. If shooting lead i like 6's. If shooting hevi shot or federal heavy weights i like #7's. A 3" 2oz load of hevi 7's has over 500 pellets in the shell. My 12ga benelli with a truglo ssx will put anywhere from 270-300 shots inside a 10" circle at 40ds depending on the weather/temp.

Once you go with the 7's you will never go back. My 20ga with federal heavy weight 7's will put 160-180 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40.

Try the 7's.........i think you will be pleased. Some people say the 7's don't have enough killing power....if you keep the shots to 40-45 yards and under they carry plenty of energy.
x2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts