Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I just bought my snares and wire..they are in the pot boiling with cedar bark and needles as i post. The Q is this, i have mature trees, small set aside no fences..where do u start your sets?

All info welcome!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hi all
I just bought my snares and wire..they are in the pot boiling with cedar bark and needles as i post. The Q is this, i have mature trees, small set aside no fences..where do u start your sets?

All info welcome!

I like to go out after a rain or snow and find some tracks. Once you find a set follow the trail until it squeezes between two trees or brushy spot. Hang you snares where the dogs head will be. Coyotes will step in almost the exact same footprint next time he comes through....might be a week or two before he hunts back through so dont lose hope if it takes a while. Look for dens and hang one back in the hole.

My biggest tip is use EXCELLENT scent control. I use a differant pair of gloves while im walking and put a pair of powder free scentless latex gloves over top of them. you cannot overdo scent control. do what you do for deer and then do more.

Another location tip is maybe take a roadkill deer and drag it to a spot with only a few entry points such as a blowdown or dead tree. Hang snares along the paths leading to the bait. i hang snares between 20 and 100 yards from the bait. fyi once you sanre a couple dogs over the bait, if any other dogs see it, you may as well give up on hunting them for a while. By hanging many snares over a bait you might catch a whole pack!

GOOD LUCK! also be sure to double check that you snares are compliant with ODNR laws. The gw's can be sticklers over snares, especially during the off season of fur bearers. You might also thing of investing in a catch pole for house cats, fox, and anything else you cant keep or kill.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok..catchpole..where to buy or how to build?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ok..catchpole..where to buy or how to build?

Internet. Its basically a long pole with a wire running through it like a loop. u slide it around an animals neck an d tighten it to hold them while u free or kill em. Id buy one though cuz making one thast strong can be tough .also called a dogcatchers pole

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Would PVC pipeing work? (i am not a trapper by anymeans) You could cut it to legth and run some wire or rope trought the middle.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I am far from experienced with snarring, but I did have some success in the last month or so. I simply hung them where coyotes travel and caught four. I found two dens in the process and my landowner called the other day to tell me they are using one of them now. I will be paying them a visit soon. Here is one female I caught near one of the dens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I should add, be certain to use your head when setting snares. It is fairly common for deer to get hung up in them if they are not set properly. I had deer kick them over dozens of times, but never caught one around the neck. My intent in snarring is to give the fawns a little better chance this spring, the last thing I wanted was to kill deer! Keep this in mind as it would be easy to kill a bunch of deer if you hang your snares where a deer is likely to walk with it's head down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...buy a dog pole..
I too DONT want to hurt deer
.they are why im snaring yotes..
I also have lots red fox and I don't want them to be snared either..

Can I avoid that by setting proper loop size?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The best thing you can do to keep from killing non-target animals is to keep your tie-offs short. If the animals cannot get themselves tangled, most likely they will be sitting there waiting on you alive and well. Then, you will have the fun task of getting them loose!:)
BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought a ketch- all pole it worked great for me this year. I know you can make them a lot cheaper than what I spent on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Loop size helps but at some point you will catch something u dont want to. use deer stops (legally required) and short leads. i used light weight wire (hhome made snares) a deer can easily break free if it gets neck caught and the loop will fall off. often i kink or weaken my line at the deer stop so if somethin breaks it wont have a noose on its neck. trappin yotes use some coyote urine around your area. that scare off some reds and fawns.
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts