Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Might be a little late to plant clover, this late I would recommend rye, brassica, or turnips. Or wait until February/March and overseed with the clover. Frost seeding has worked well for me with clover.
I would plant rye with some turnips and mix the clover in, then like Perry said, frost seed more clover next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get it out there with a nurse crop of cereal grains. I've gone as high as 100 lbs an acre on the grains with clover in there and the clover does fine the following spring.
What are good cereal grains? I am not up to speed on those.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Finally put down 80 lbs of Plotspike Forest Feast yesterday just before the rains. View looking SSW toward Washburn Hill.
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Land lot

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would agree for sure. I have to kill the cattails that pop back up still. Tomorrow I’m going to take the ATV disc through them a few times to see how much I can break up. If it’s a good amount I may tractor disc and not till. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have two small ATV DISCS for sale.If you know of anyone interested $150 dollars for the pair. [email protected]

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m a week behind you guys.
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Land lot Vegetation

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can anyone explain grain drilling versus broadcast. It looks like my broadcast worked well and I don’t know the difference.

·
5,103 Posts
Basically broadcasting is just that, throwing or using a hand spreader to throw or broadcast the seed. If you're using a planter or seeder (drilling) of some type you are actually planting the seed in rows and covering with some amount of soil. A lot of guys who broadcast follow up with some sort of a harrow type device to provide better seed to soil contact.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
198 Posts
Basically broadcasting is just that, throwing or using a hand spreader to throw or broadcast the seed. If you're using a planter or seeder (drilling) of some type you are actually planting the seed in rows and covering with some amount of soil. A lot of guys who broadcast follow up with some sort of a harrow type device to provide better seed to soil contact.
I had my plot tilled up nice and fluffy the day before broadcast and it rained good that afternoon and the next two days. I guess the rains planted it. I assume grain drills are for a no-till planting?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts