Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t normally plant spring plots anymore, as the deer have enough food and I don’t see the benefit. I keep my clover in good shape in spring/summer and wait till fall to get the groceries in the ground.

This year I’m doing 3 plots. 2 of them in virgin ground. One of them is going into a stand of cattails and will be very interesting to see how they turn out.

Here’s the videos:

And here’s the pictures:

I’ll keep this post up to date as I do more work on these plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mowed and sprayed mine mid-July. Then tilled them up last week. I will wait another week and spray what comes back up. Then plant by end of August. I have found over the years starting with a completely weed free bed works best.
I would agree for sure. I have to kill the cattails that pop back up still. Tomorrow I’m going to take the ATV disc through them a few times to see how much I can break up. If it’s a good amount I may tractor disc and not till. We’ll see.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Your plots are looking good. I had a similar situation with cattails. They are hard to kill long term, I found a product called Rodeo that finally eliminated them. Now it’s a good looking clover plot after some drainage work.
If the rain holds off next week I will get my clover plots in, and give a final mow to my remaining plots, luckily I have a creek next to these two new plots if it’s dry for a while. I will just have to rig up a pump and sprinklers to water them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Got my clover planted this afternoon. After bush hogging, spraying, tilling then spray and till again I had the best looking seed beds I have ever started with. Excited to see how they turn out, I should have taken more photos. But here is one of the plots and a few buddies helping me out. Now I am hoping for some rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my clover planted this afternoon. After bush hogging, spraying, tilling then spray and till again I had the best looking seed beds I have ever started with. Excited to see how they turn out, I should have taken more photos. But here is one of the plots and a few buddies helping me out. Now I am hoping for some rain.
Good luck man, what did you use to till?

Edit*** I see the king kutter***

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yep, king kutter rear tine tiller works wonders.

When I removed cattails I used a landscape rake and piled them up then burned them. Good luck with your plots and I will be following your success.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, king kutter rear tine tiller works wonders.

When I removed cattails I used a landscape rake and piled them up then burned them. Good luck with your plots and I will be following your success.
I’m gonna have to do something similar, there’s just so much chaff from the cattails I mowed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Got to check my new plots today that were planted about 3 weeks ago. I mainly planted clover and mixed a very low rate of turnips in… looks like the turnips overtook the plots. Minimal clover, the smaller plots is glowing green and the larger one has a many open areas. I am hoping more of the clover germinates with the rain this week. I will have to overseed a bunch this winter I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got to check my new plots today that were planted about 3 weeks ago. I mainly planted clover and mixed a very low rate of turnips in… looks like the turnips overtook the plots. Minimal clover, the smaller plots is glowing green and the larger one has a many open areas. I am hoping more of the clover germinates with the rain this week. I will have to overseed a bunch this winter I guess.
With my experience your clover will really take over next spring. The turnips will act as a nurse crop.

·
Registered
276 Posts
With my experience your clover will really take over next spring. The turnips will act as a nurse crop.

Thanks for the advice and I hope that is the case with the clover. Hopefully you can break through the chaf on those cattails and they break down before next season so you can establish a decent plot.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice and I hope that is the case with the clover. Hopefully you can break through the chaf on those cattails and they break down before next season so you can establish a decent plot.
I really think if I had a box scraper I could get the majority of the chaff out but I don’t have one yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is this good clover seed and is it too late to plant it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Green Ingredient Cuisine Font Food

·
Registered
276 Posts
I really think if I had a box scraper I could get the majority of the chaff out but I don’t have one yet.

Seems a box blade is would dig in, I used one for many years on my drive and once the teeth catch it digs in. Might want to thing about a 3 point landscape rake, those have worked well for me when cleaning up an area. I had a forestry mulcher clear a plot for me a few years back and cleaned it up nicely with a landscape rake.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is this good clover seed and is it too late to plant it?
Might be a little late to plant clover, this late I would recommend rye, brassica, or turnips. Or wait until February/March and overseed with the clover. Frost seeding has worked well for me with clover.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts