Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes I am to both questions. Can't wait. I had not really hunted squirrels since I was a teenager. That was 50 years ago. Last season I got lucky and took a buck very early. didn't have much additional freezer space so I put down the bow and picked up the 22. I had a blast. Hunted numerous times. Put a few in the freezer. Had my grandkid, son and son in-law over at one point and made fried squirrel with sawmill gravy for us all. It was delicious. I will be out on public land somewhere come Sept. 1

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting out. Most likely I'll just hunt my own farm BUT we finally had some decent rain up here and mushrooms should be popping. I know a piece of public where I found some chicken of the woods in September so maybe a combo squirrel /mushroom hunting trip is in order??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking forward to getting out. Most likely I'll just hunt my own farm BUT we finally had some decent rain up here and mushrooms should be popping. I know a piece of public where I found some chicken of the woods in September so maybe a combo squirrel /mushroom hunting trip is in order??
This was me last year, my day started off with squirrel then i ended up picking chantrel mushrooms. Needless to say my day was a success.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am to both questions. Can't wait. I had not really hunted squirrels since I was a teenager. That was 50 years ago. Last season I got lucky and took a buck very early. didn't have much additional freezer space so I put down the bow and picked up the 22. I had a blast. Hunted numerous times. Put a few in the freezer. Had my grandkid, son and son in-law over at one point and made fried squirrel with sawmill gravy for us all. It was delicious. I will be out on public land somewhere come Sept. 1
Any success this year so far?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Any success this year so far?
Only been out twice. No shots taken. Little beggers won't hold still! Considered taking the shotgun but I like the challenge of the rifle. Found a nice shed antler and some potential deer hunting spots though. Ended up sick with some type of virus for a week, didn't have the energy to get out. Starting to improve at last thank goodness.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Blue dog, are these chic of the woods? How do you prepare them?
Plant Botany Organism Trunk Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Blue dog, are these chic of the woods? How do you prepare them?
View attachment 56560
No. I'm not 100% sure from the picture but that looks like Turkey Tail mushroom (there are a couple similar to that too). Chicken of the woods is bright orange. Hen of the woods might be what you are thinking of. That grows all in one clump at the base of the tree. The mushroom you put a picture of looks like it is growing directly off the wood.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I went out Friday. Was able to scout out where I want to sit for deer. No success this year so far with squirrels. 7 hours in the field. Had a few good shots but they were not out or moving all day. Someone told me hunting squirrels can be harder than deer I want to test this notion.
LOL. Hunting squirrels is pretty easy. Find a cluster of Hickory trees, and it's easy pickens. Of course, if you are up moving around and making noise, you probably aren't going to have much luck.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
LOL. Hunting squirrels is pretty easy. Find a cluster of Hickory trees, and it's easy pickens. Of course, if you are up moving around and making noise, you probably aren't going to have much luck.
Hahaha! Squirrel hunting is sometimes pretty easy. But there are days when they are not out and about. And while I'm partial to sitting and waiting in an oak/hickory grove, I've had some of my best and most memorable squirrel hunts moving through the woods.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Hahaha! Squirrel hunting is sometimes pretty easy. But there are days when they are not out and about. And while I'm partial to sitting and waiting in an oak/hickory grove, I've had some of my best and most memorable squirrel hunts moving through the woods.
Yep, there are days when they aren't or don't seem to be out and about as much as other days. Sometimes, you hear one barking off in the distance and have to slowly put a stalk on him. Either way you choose to hunt them, finding their food source is where you will find them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts