close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel or rabbit your best dish??????

Discussion in 'Wild Game Recipes' started by bowkills, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Just want your number 1 with either game. What I'very been doing with a few depending on age/sex is pressure cooking for awhile before frying or whatever recipe I'm using. Floured browned and baked in favorite cream sauce is general number 1. What's ur number 1?

2. Wildlife likes this.

3. Ingredients:2-3 rabbits, quartered.
    One 8 ounce container of sour cream
    One can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
    One 6 ounce box of stovetop stuffing mix
    Boil the rabbit quarters until the meat is tender enough to fall from the bones. Discard all of the bones and put the meat in the bottom of a cassarole dish. Now mix the cream of mushroom soup and the sour cream together then spread evenly over the rabbit meat. Do not add water to the soup! Now follow the directions to cook the stuffing on the stovetop...then put the stuffing on top of the mushroom/sour cream mixture. Place cassarole dish in oven and bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. When you scoop out the finished product and put it on a plate, the stuffing will be on the bottom of the plate and the rabbit meat will be on top with the mushroom/sour cream gravy covering it all. Salt and pepper to taste. If you want, you can substitute the stuffing with bisquick biscuit mix.

Wildlife likes this.
  4. Dang. Put 6 beers on top sounds like a coma to me!!!!!!! Yum.

Sgt Fury likes this.
  5. Brown squirrels in seasoned flour. Drain on paper towels. Layer in a baking dish. Add a can of rotell and half a can of water. Season with Cajun seasoning(we like Slap Ya Mama.red) seal pan with foil. Bake 3 hrs. Serve over rice.

Wildlife likes this.
  6. I use this for my rabbits.
    Place olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Flour, salt and pepper rabbit pieces then brown in hot oil for about 5 min per side. Put in a glass casserole baking dish with a glass cover(Corningware). Chop a sweet onion into tiny pieces and cook in the remaining oil until soft. Add 1 large can of Italian spiced chopped tomatoes and enough basil and oregano to cover the tomatoes. Also add a cup or so of red wine(I use Lambrusco). Stir often until it boils. Pour over rabbit. Put in oven @ 350 degrees and bake for 2hrs.

Turkinator likes this.
  7. Squirrel #1 is Squirrel enchiladas. Follow the link to my blog article I wrote. I've been doing it a little bit different lately and just using sour cream as the base instead of a mix of sour cream and cream of chicken soup.

Oh and if you go on the link to my other blog post about How to Eat a Squirrel, I crockpot my squirrels a little different too. Well really the only difference is time. I almost always cook the squirrels in water and veggies for around 20-24 hours. That ensures the meat is falling off the bone. I reserve the liquid, strain it and freeze in pint containers. Squirrel broth makes wonderful gravy or addition to other recipes that call for broth.

[​IMG]

Rabbit # 1 used to a baked rabbit recipe but rabbit burgers have quickly surpassed it. I debone, grind the rabbit with just a little bit of bacon (no more than 1-2 slices per rabbit), season and grill.

[​IMG]