Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went squirrel hunting this past week at Eastfork and Stonlick state parks. I ended up only seeing 1 squirrel over the period of 4 hours. Luckily, I was able to get this squirrel. What are some good tips to seeing more squirrels on these public lands? Where I deer hunt, I see squirrels all day long, but I'm not driving an hour and a half to squirrel hunt on my deer property. My method for squirrel hunting is a stalk and stop. I'll slowly walk through the woods and then find a log to sit on. I'll sit for about 10-20 minutes and if I don't see anything, I continue moving forward. I was hunting in around walnut and acorn trees. It did get up to almost 90 degrees this weekend so maybe the heat had them slowing down a bit. Just looking for some other advice.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Early season, I would suggest looking for hickory stands. If you find cuttings, find a place to sit & stay put. They will come in eventually. Later in the season, they will hit walnuts, probably right now. Again, look for cuttings & wait. Personally, I don't think 10-20 mins is long enough.

Over the years, I have found 1-3 hot spots in the 7 woods I hunt. I go in, sit, & wait, usually about 4 hours in the morning before lunch & maybe 5 hours in the afternoons. I see squirrels on probably 90-95% of my hunts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Early season, I would suggest looking for hickory stands. If you find cuttings, find a place to sit & stay put. They will come in eventually. Later in the season, they will hit walnuts, probably right now. Again, look for cuttings & wait. Personally, I don't think 10-20 mins is long enough.

Over the years, I have found 1-3 hot spots in the 7 woods I hunt. I go in, sit, & wait, usually about 4 hours in the morning before lunch & maybe 5 hours in the afternoons. I see squirrels on probably 90-95% of my hunts.
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to give that a shot next time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Some squirrels woods are better than others Ive killed around 20 this year. The more nut trees you find. the more squirrels you'll find. I hunted deer Sat morn had 8 - 10 squirrels around me all morning! It was raining acorns!.If your not killing squirrels in any woods in the first 20- 30 min to 45 min , I would move to a better location!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm late to this thread..new computer and wasn't able to transfer all my bookmarks.

10 minutes is not enough time to wait for squirrels. Heck I wait 10 minutes before I even start calling. Speaking of calling, perhaps you can give a squirrel caller a try. And my favorite caller for 'squirrel cutting': Take a used 20 gauge cartridge, flatten the open top (I pinch w thumb and finger) and scrape it across a 4" bolt I bought at the hardware store. It REALLY sounds like a squirrel cutting on a nut.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm late to this thread..new computer and wasn't able to transfer all my bookmarks.

10 minutes is not enough time to wait for squirrels. Heck I wait 10 minutes before I even start calling. Speaking of calling, perhaps you can give a squirrel caller a try. And my favorite caller for 'squirrel cutting': Take a used 20 gauge cartridge, flatten the open top (I pinch w thumb and finger) and scrape it across a 4" bolt I bought at the hardware store. It REALLY sounds like a squirrel cutting on a nut.
Thanks for the advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts