Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to know, how far do you sight your favorite squirrel rifle in for squirrel hunting? My 22lr is always sighted in at 30yds, as I only take head shots. How about you?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I use a Savage .17 HMR & sight it in at 50 yards but most of my shots are a lot closer. I only take head shots as well.

Reactions: Randall

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
50 yards.

Reactions: marcheskie

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Max effective range is a five-shot group within one inch or less (MOSh - minute of squirrel's head). I hunt with Rem. Golden 36g HP (available, relatively inexpensive, my .22s like them, and the squirrels don't) that claims to be going 1280 fps out of Remington's test barrel.

For MOSh, people smarter than me suggest that I should try to achieve with that bullet a one-inch shot group centered 1/2 bullet diameter high at 25 yards on windy days, and a full bullet diameter high at 50 yards on less windy days. They claim 63 yards is the maximum range for holding the crosshairs dead on when the wind is calm. (Disregard my advice if you're shooting at squirrels 60 yards out without crosshairs.)

All of my scoped .22s can shoot MOSh from a bench at our range out to those distances. How they perform in the woods is often a different story. Ha!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I got a question for you guys because I am a new hunter. So I have been hunting with a shotgun for squirrels and pheasant for a couple years and try for squirrel but can never get close enough, so I want a .22 or a 17HMR. My only thing is how do you guys take safe shots at a squirrel high in a tree or do you only shoot them at body level when there is a tree behind them? My grandpa grew up trapping and he was kind of worried about me hunting with a .22 and taking high shots because they can travel so far if i miss. Any advice? I dont have a lot of friends or family members that hunt, so I figured I would ask you guys.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
So I got a question for you guys because I am a new hunter. So I have been hunting with a shotgun for squirrels and pheasant for a couple years and try for squirrel but can never get close enough, so I want a .22 or a 17HMR. My only thing is how do you guys take safe shots at a squirrel high in a tree or do you only shoot them at body level when there is a tree behind them? My grandpa grew up trapping and he was kind of worried about me hunting with a .22 and taking high shots because they can travel so far if i miss. Any advice? I dont have a lot of friends or family members that hunt, so I figured I would ask you guys.

I would recommend a .17 HMR using Hornady 17 Gr. V-Max ammo. The ammo is considerably more expensive the .22 but, for me, it's worth the extra cost. The V-Max tip is frangible & blows up if it hits anything, even a small twig. It doesn't travel as far as a 22 &, unless you are taking a completely open shot, I don't think you have the same issues as with a 22.

I have found that the most successful way to hunt bushies is to find a spot where they frequent such as an oak or walnut grove & just sit & let them come to you.

Reactions: hungryhollow

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
never get close enough
We've all been there. But as discussed above by nearly all the respondents, the vast majority of squirrels taken with a rifle are within shotgun range.

The person with their finger on the trigger is responsible for the bullet in that firearm's chamber. If you are in doubt, don't take your gun off SAFE.

I think horizontal shots, other than at a target shooting range, are far more dangerous than shooting up in a tree or down on the ground.

The internet has lots of info on ballistics.

22lr Ballistics Chart (mcarbo.com)

World's Smallest & Biggest Rimfires — 17 and 22 Calibers - YouTube

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm just curious to know, how far do you sight your favorite squirrel rifle in for squirrel hunting? My 22lr is always sighted in at 30yds, as I only take head shots. How about you?
I am avid when it comes to small game. For squirrels I use two different rifles depending on time of the year. When the leaves are on I am using a 10/22 with a red dot, sighted to about 25 yards. I am able to get a lot closer to them when the trees have leaves. When the leaves are mostly gone I use a bolt action 22 with a scope and signed to about 50 yards. I have learned that they are paying more attention since they don't have cover and I cannot get as close. I normally bag out with both setups.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My go to style of squirrel hunting allows for some pretty long shots. I use a 17hmr with a 100yd zero. I have learned all the drops and hold points from 10 yards out to dead nuts. Get a good ghillie suit and a tripod and set up on a creek bend with a good set of binos. I glass and spot them in the trees and zip them so far my longest shot is 150 to 160. I get my bag then get up and walk down the creek and retrieve all and call it a day. This works even on windy days when they try to hide in the crotch of the trees you can easily see them and a well placed head shot with either knock them out of the tree or send them kicking out of the tree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts